[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Foam
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Foam 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Foam
I want to get some foam I can use to put in my Tuffy storage box.

You know, the kind you cut out so a handheld projectile launcher can be stored in it without banging around getting scratched up.

Don't know what kind to get and where to get it from.

Any ideas ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Foam
You can check the packing supply houses that sell to business. You know boxes and such. They normally carry hi density foam in various sheet thickness and weight. They can usually cut it for you as well. Try PA or ULine.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I bought a pack of those foam gym mats. The kind that fit together like a puzzle. It's a pretty dense foam and I have some left if you want it.

EDIT: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-6- ... t/21672523 - what I have

also, Grainger has stuff like this: http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGE ... =FFTS&pbi=

Last edited by Eck on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Another option is Target, Wal*Mart, or somewhere similar and buy one of the foam mattress toppers and cut it to fit your needs. They can be had in different thicknesses and either egg crate style or memory foam. Another option is an upholstery supply place which has different densities and will probably sell whatever size you need. I know there is at least one place in the Springs and a greater number in the Denver area.
Mark.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Camera or digital equipment places will have them for those waterproof/shockproof pelican cases. Check Amazon.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Military surplus stores usually sell foam.

I know Jax in Ft. Collins has it in several firmnesses.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the input fellas

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would suggest you look at the foam anti fatigue mat from Harbor Freight. 4 Squares for about $9. I use those for many things and they are cheap.

They are thin and will not eat too much space up in the tuffy. Just get some spray adhesive for the tuffy walls to hold in place.

When I do the late elk season I line the floor of the 5th wheel with them all trimmed into size etc for additional insulation and foot comfort for bare socks. My camper is sealed on the bottom and insulated but it makes it more comfortable. Cheap enough and durable too for many uses. I keep several around and when working under a vehicle on concrete and not using a creeper I will lay those out for comfort and padding as well.

Canon City, Co

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Somebody else suggested I wrap the gun and mags in plastic (individually) and then spray expanding foam into the box, let it expand, and then press the objects into the expanded foam before it hardens.

Any thought on this approach ?

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Why not just go to Home Depot and buy a sheet of concrete insulating styrofoam? Cuts easy and is cheap. Spray adhesive the top and line with a soft cloth material to finish it off.

The "pick and pluck" inserts for Pelican cases look great and aren't too bad, in theory. It does become a bit of a pain when you start looking at expanding your selection of packed firearms.

The sheet foam, non-precut, that Pelican offers is better. But it is nothing special. You can get very similar stuff from your local Joann Fabrics store. The high density stuff costs a little more. I bought a full sheet of 6"x36"x6' last year and it ran me around 80 bucks or so on super discount.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:21 pm

DO NOT use spray foam and plastic wrap. The foam will eat/burn through the plastic and get all over the gun.

Just do as others have said and mount a holster to the side.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have seen a set-up with a heavily plastic coated rod that inserts into the barrel to hold your handheld kinetic energy applicator.
Often used to hold one under a table or desk.
It has the advantage of one size fits all (or nearly so)

Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

the tuffy box I'm talking about is the lockable kind which resides under the passenger seat so I'm not really concerned about quick access (although the holster could still be a good solution)

most often I would have it with me but I just need a place to secure it if I had to go inside somewhere that doesn't allow them or when carrying it isn't practical

thanks for all the good ideas

now I gotta go find me one of those plastic rods to mount under the table for when Maddy starts bringing boys home

icon biggin

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you really don't want any shenanigans going on, welcome him into the home and don't stop telling your daughter about how much you like him. If she's the type to want to piss you off, you're almost guaranteed to never see him again.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]