[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - build thread from the wind tunnel
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 build thread from the wind tunnel 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post build thread from the wind tunnel
Hello,

I'm kinda new here, but have had my 74 Bronco since 96. It was put on its passenger side by a PO, and not fixed properly. So my hood, door, rear gates, etc don't line up well at all. Its a runner, not a looker. I've been doing body work for a living for 3 years now, and have realized that there is no reasonable way to fix it all. So that leaves me 2 options, new/used body, or build a crawler & not worry about the body. I'm choosing the latter.

I put a 3.5" J/D Superhoop lift, 33's, Detroit Locked rear, Edelbrock intake & 4bbl, MSD dizzy & 6T ignition on when I bought it.

Since then I've added vacuum power brakes, power steering, F-150 disk brakes, NP435, replaced vacuum brakes w/hydroboost, York onboard air, 3G alternator, winch/bumper and some other junk.

Now, after many years, I'm planning some new major upgrades. I've got a set of full width axles (from a 79 Bronco) and Bloody Knuckle arms to install. I've done a mild refresh (wheel bearings & brakes) for the 9". On the D44, I've got Raybestos drilled & slotted rotors & T-bird calipers ready to install.

Hopefully I'll pull the trigger and do the install soon. It's ski season, so home & auto work takes a back seat when the snow is good. And it is good! I figured by the time I approached 40, I'd be finished skiing, but that does not seem to be the case.

After the install I'll decide on gears, lockers, new tires (35s), and maybe rims. Other not long term plans are a new t-case (Stak or Atlas), & softer/newer coil & leaf springs. Oh yeah, the interior needs some help. I'm afraid I NEED to rewire the truck soon too.

Here are a couple pics.

Chad

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: new guy here
Great pics, welcome! I'd love to see a shot of those long arms, BKG is on my list of folks I might buy mine from some day when I can afford some.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll take a couple pics at work tomorrow, one is unwrapped & sitting in the corner. They are just like the old Cage arms, but Jim Cole said he had beefed them up some. I haven't seen the JD or Cage versions, so I can't compare.

There are cheaper ways, but these arms are HUGE. Also, he seems like a very nice guy and was more than helpful with all the questions I asked/emailed. I plan on buying more from him, probably my rear shock mounts, and new coils & springs.

Chad

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great looking trail rig, can't wait to see your upgrades.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great looking ride. Sounds like you have a ton of great adds already done and fun to do list. Thanks for posting up a fun story and pics. Keep us updated on the progress.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is a pic of the BKG radius arm & frame bracket. I took my camera to work & took one picture, and the SD card was full. I'll take some more tomorrow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice rig and I like the plans you have made! Keep us updated on your progress!

J.D.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

good stuff, welcome to the club! icon biggin

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: build thread from the freezer
I thought I'd give it a try and keep a running tally of what I've done with my truck. Since I first posted this subject, I have done a lot, but mostly just posted tech threads. I'll post this info up in a semi-chronological order and link to my tech threads if I have one.

Right after joining, I swapped in my 79 Bronco axles and Bloody Knuckle Garage extended radius arms. Love the difference, smooth ride, awesome on the highway, and killer off road. For a while I kept the old lift kit springs etc. I'm still running the stock 79 gears (3.50s), & 33's which are ok. If I didn't have a 6.69:1 first, they wouldn't be ok off road. I also installed a Lock-rite locker in the rear, and like it as much as my old Detroit Locker. I'll lock the front, but plan on deeper gears and an overdrive trans, so I'm not going to lock the front till I get the new gears. I upgraded my front brakes to slotted/drilled rotors, T-bird calipers, ss flex lines. Also did the Chevy 1 ton tie rods, DOM steering, tie rod over flip, and "custom" drag link. Probably some more things too.

The axle build thread is here, if anyone is interested. It took a lot longer than I expected (I should have expected that), much of the time was spent fussing with the brakes. I got some bad advice a long the way and started swapping front and rear m/c lines, but really the problem originally was air still in the system. Once things were properly bled I realized I was right the first time and should have kept bleeding a little longer.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1178

Here is a pic just after the swap was done.

IMG_1547.JPG

Right after this I bought a new set of Goodyear Wrangler M/Ts, stayed with 33's but now will be bumping to 35's on my next set of tires.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I haven't been very good about updating this.

I had always struggled with 4 low popping out. It was easily fixed with the bungee cord to the dash fix. At some point the shifter was nearly impossible to find any gear easily, and it was popping out of 4 hi too. I figured the t-case needed rebuilt, but after twin sticking the tcase, it runs great, and stays in gear. I wish I had done the upgrade years earlier. No thread or pics, sorry.

Also, I was given an AUX heater box from an RV that crashed on Monarch pass. Its good knowing tow truck drivers! I mounted the extra heater on the passenger side rear wheel well. I've also added the Chebby fan upgrade to my heater box. I'm going to terminate the outside air duct when I do my new dash & wire harness. My intake duct ends up packed up with snow in the winter, and the air pulling through the snow just adds moisture & makes defrosting more difficult. The heater fan upgrade is a great, cheap upgrade that any daily driver should include (Jeep Chero wipers & rear gate shocks go on that list too). Again, sorry no pics.

I think next thing I did to the truck was scrap the old stock front seats and install a new & free to me set of 96 Mercury Mystique seats. Here is my installation thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2527

I used the passenger seat bracket from a Bronco II, so I can still access the rear. They fit great, and are very comfortable. Still room for my center console. I still need to fix the passenger headrest(it won't clear my current crappy cage & was broken when I got the seats) & wire the motors on the driver seat. I think I can position the crossbar on my new cage so the passenger seat headrest will clear.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My next and one of the best upgrades I've made was an EFI swap onto my old 302. When I bought the truck in 1996 it had a fairly new rebuilt motor. Its always run strong and been taken care of, so I chose to not use my 96 Explorer motor, but just use the intake & other EFI stuff. The truck runs great, starts up easily at -35* (I do use a block heater). Another upgrade I couldn't live without.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2795

I managed to crack an accumulator body during the install/leak finding, and found a better option than the BCB accumulator

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3874

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice man, looks good

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Almost forgot. I got a set of 15x8 steel rims and cleaned them up & painted them in some single stage gray. I mixed it by eye to closely "match" the bumpers of Audi's. Decided that I didn't want black, definitely didn't want white. Someday I'd like to repaint the top a light gray and get rid of all the white. The 8" rims helped with how far my tires stick out with the wide axles. It still sprays the windshield & side windows with mud and I'm going to install a set of Silverbacks, I find seeing outside of the truck to be helpfull.

I've also removed & replaced my 15+ yr old JD coils and springs. I got a set of 3.5" WH rears and a 5.5" set of front coils. At first it sat a little rear end high, but it settled nice and level. The front coils bow out badly to the f/w axles, I'll be installing a set of wide upper coil buckets soon to fix that.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Quick bump for your build thread. Here are your long-overdue shock towers! I'll let you know when they're en route. I'm stoked to see them all fabbed in, and I'm excited to see the progress of your build as you get the rest of your shiny new parts installed.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice thanks.

I'm looking forward to this install. It will be no small undertaking.

Dash, gauges, wiring harness, ZF, Atlas. I'm planning on pushing the front axle forward a bit & installing my full width, adjustable front coil buckets, and the rear back to the gas tank and installing these mounts & my new Bilsteins.

I've been doing some final work on my dash during down time at work. Fortunately, there hasn't been much down time at work. But I am getting close to ready. Still need to make a glove box liner that will hold relays, fuse panels, and my ECU. I'm also going to cut a bunch of excess wire from my harness. I bought the un-loomed, universal RJM harness & it's longer than needed. Too much wire curled up behind the dash.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:24 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I appreciate the offer! I'm dropping them with Rox today.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the offer Rob.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Project *A* Bomb has started.

Mostly demolition Thursday after work & today. Removed seats & center console, roll bar speakers & lights, steering box & column, exhaust, transmission & t-case. The dash is close to coming out, still a few things to removed first. I might have to move the roll cage back to pull the dash, but hopefully not.

I placed an order to Ruffstuff for a track bar bracket, radius arm brackets & misalignments, trans crossmember bushing & tabs.

Really wondering if I can do the ZF & Atlas without a body lift. I hope I don't need a BL, my 33's will look like skateboard wheels. My 3.50 gears won't like any taller tires, I'm pushing it with 33's already.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow, you really dove in and got a lot done.

Good luck with the project !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Jeff,

Too much to think about. I've tried to visualize certain parts of the project, and I get brain lock. So I figured it was just best to tear it apart, and see how it comes back together.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You'll need to take some kind of action if you don't want a body lift. If you leave the motor in its stock location you'll have to rebuild the trans tunnel cover back to where it joins the flat section of the floor. With a 1" BL you'll need to create a decent sized notch, look at brianut's thread when he put in his ZF.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've looked over that thread a couple times as I prepared for this. Looks like I have almost that much cut away already, my NP435 didn't want to fit either. I actually have a tunnel cover panel I bough from Rox, so I should be able to come up with something.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dash is out, cut decades of random zip ties out and started separating the EFI harness, tach, CB, and radio wires from the 40 year old wires.

P1020266.JPG

P1020267.JPG

Something caught my eye. I think my driver side A-pillar is FULL of dirt.

P1020268.JPG

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You are making great progress! If you can put it together 20% that fast, you'll be doing awesome!

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, I was thinking something similar last night. Except it went something like, "Oh crap, what have I done."

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A Bronco that is dirty, or on this case full of dirt, shows a good life.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Heater box, air compressor oil/water separator, ECU, 90% of the old harness wiring out.

Pretty much planning on pulling the front clip, adjusting my passenger A-pillar back to stockish, and building new front fender/core support & front body mounts.

If I have help this weekend, I might try to fit the new trans & t-case. If not, I'll pull the front clip, remove my coil spring & track bar mounts, radius arm mounts, and move things forward a bit.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 568 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next