[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Hockeydad4-22
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Hockeydad4-22 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Hockeydad4-22
How old are the lines/pump/tank/etc.?

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Trace out the fuel lines and make sure you have pressure line at the correct end of the rail. Regulator dumps fuel to the return line so the end connected to the reg is return.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin - lines range from the original 1995 lines to brand new but all were clear, I blew them all out before I installed them. Pump is the factory 1995 pump retrofitted into a 23 gal tank (amazing how well that worked out for us)

Viper - that makes sense - you can bet I do that before I head into the house tonight after work! Whew, wouldn't that be nice! I am crossing my fingers (and uncrossing my lines I hope)

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I hooked up my Efi lines backwards as well. Easy fix :)

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's alive. Crossed fuel lines, turned the key and fuel pressure read 34 psi. Cranked for about 3 seconds and she roared to life. Pressure held steady at idle at 45 psi and up to mid 50s revved up.

After that I got startled tidying up all the wires. I won't get to work on her tomorrow or Saturday and Sunday Kirk and I are going on a road trip so come Monday I am going to get a bunch done daily until Drew can pull her out and take her t o school

I must say that I am very thankfully for the help and that I am really proud of our fab team but mostly I can't wait to drive her.. Ohhhboy!

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Whew - that was a nice easy fix. Nice work Viper!

Hope the updates to this thread are cool mods from now on!

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Realized that I have not yet posted the vid of the first time we fired her up.

My bad guys

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

YEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!

pulled her out of the garage for the first time in over 3 month and took a few joyous grin filled trips around the block this evening.

Need a new upper radiator hose and I am not 100% confident in the power steering pump

Oh yeah, and a complete exhaust, but for a short shakedown test run.... she ran awesome

I guess I will have to open a utube account to show the video.... Oh well, you guys will just have to wait till you can check her out in person

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats HOCKEYDAD and crew !

You guys out a lot of work into a unique configuration.

It should be a stump puller for sure !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats! I'm excited to see it in person and go along for a ride.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Now that you've given up the 4.9 for Drew, you should pick up that 6BT for sale on CL right now and one up, er, TWO up Kinder with the BSD!

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As some of you know - Drew's rig has not been running properly the last week or so, and slowly it has been getting worse and worse. No power, sputter, hesitating etc. First time it happened, I found one of the fuel line clamps was lose and was leaking... ugh!!!

But it kept happening, to the point where last week he had to drive to school in low range and home again. So I pulled the codes. Came up with and O2 sensor issue, trans overdrive (which we do not have) and some other seat belt switch or something. Kinder came over to play in the garage Saturday and try to troubleshoot the thing. Checked for vacuum leaks, nope all good there. We replaced the O2 sensor - no difference. Checked the fuel pressure - just fine...

Only thing left is injectors right?

So I pulled the intake off, fuel rail and injectors and cleaned them up real well, even soaked them overnight in BG 444 (Saw it on the internet so it has to be true, right?). Then I put a new fuel filter the size of a coffee can inline under the truck. I blew the fuel lines out from the filter to the intake so all clean again.

Sunday morning I cleaned the injectors even more, blew concentrated air at 75 psi through them both ways, replaced the O-rings and seals and put her all back together. Sunday afternoon I took her for a spin and guess what?

All good again.

I then put the BG444 in the gas tank - no sense in wasting it - that stuff is expensive.

If it happens again - I am getting new injectors but the price for them is nearly $350 for all 6 and that is simply not in the budget today.

Pictures:

Before the tear down:

How this didn't leak is beyond me...

Upper off, now mind you - this is the deepest I have ever been in this engine, never even removed the fuel rail previously.

Going to be extra careful with these connectors, I am getting tired of wiring isuses

Fuel rail and injectors removed:

First I cut some fuel line that fit over the injectors and poured some BG-444 into each line, topping it off and let them set for 3-4 hrs. From what I saw on the internet if any of the levels changed that is a sign that injector is stuck open. I left them in the rail as a stand (yes I saw this on the iterweb too...)

All good with the first soak so I pulled all the O-rings off and put them in a can full of the same BG-444 (this is what I saw too....) and let them soak overnight.

Before the overnight soak this is what they looked like, O-rings intact and all:

O-Rings off and ready for the soak:

Post soak and getting the new O-rings and seals. 3 done, 3 to go.

And then..... after about 3 more hours
My work was done

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Whew! I misread your post at first saying it happened again after the injector bath. But you said "IF". Anyway, hope it's all good for a while now! Did you try www.rockauto.com for a price check?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Used injectors can be had from the PnP for $10 a piece.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

you can rebuild the injectors.. they make a kit check out

http://www.mrinjector.us/

Rebuilt mine on the 76...

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:34 pm

there used to be a local guy that was doing them. Not sure if he is still around.

Apex Injector Service
Lakewood, Co
303-985-3799
Bob David

$18 an injector for full-service: details in gtsbob's post below.

1-2 day turnaround.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

First real road test since it appears we have worked out most of the bugs with the 4.9L. Drew drove her to Lyons for the flood recovery volunteer day. According to the math - it sure looks like he got damn near 18MPG!!!

Now I was not there for the fill up on the way home but he said just over 10 gal and trip total was 184 mi from fill up in the AM to fill up in the PM. If this checks out a few more times - I can tell you I will be seriously thrilled!!!

Next up - re-gearing. The 3:50 gears just are not getting her moving with any type of get up and go at all (of course with mileage like that listed above, it might be worth it....).

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pretty good mpg's. As for the gearing, just remember, less torque=fewer broken parts

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Right on! Glad you guys got it sorted.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How's the trans working?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spent today draining fluids and removing to T-case so hopefully tomorrow I can open up the trans and with any luck at all, I can find/fix the park pawl issue.... If so, then put it back together and back on the road...

If not, we are talking about taking it anothe direction, perhaps even finding another ZF and going 5 speed instead

Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, the auto is gone, in its place now sits a NP435 4 speed.

Pulled the C-4, traded it for the 4spd brand new clutch,pressure plate, gear banger,etc. Drew and I struggled with it a few times over the summer and finally recruited some more experienced help. Kinder came over one evening after work, gave us some direction, then this evening Landshark came over and we got her home, bolted up. Thanks guys for all your help. I should have it done and on the road tomorrow as long as I scan source one of these brackets. IF you have one you do not need, please let me know

Otherwise I am going to start searching PnP's up here

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

FINALLY!!!

Completed the C4-NP435 swap yesterday. Everything seems ok. I need to trace down an issue with the turn signals and head lights. Other than those two minor items, she is back on the road. Just in time too. Nearly Rifle elk season and that rig will come in handy.

Now I hope I can finally get back on Wilma....

Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awesome !

Wilma has gone without attention for so long, I wonder if she will be a little tough to deal with at first ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well I promised Drew I would attempt to sort out some electrical gremlins for him while he is away at boot camp. So today I re-wired his electric fan and then started to look under the dash. I seems that every time he changed radio stations, he ran another wire or two, the issue being 1/2 of them are live and shorting out, causing fuses to burn or even over loading circuits (hence the small fire he had in the fan wiring.

So I just spent half a day pulling the whole dash so I can see what I am up against. Just in case you are wondering... Pulling the dash is a pain in the ass too.

But it's a good thing I pulled it, I now know why the defrost never worked well. Some PO decided that dryer vent would be a good choice in lieu of proper defrost ducts. Unfortunately this person also thought hose clamps turned the wrong way would be good too... Between the folds and excess length defrost never really worked well. So I will fix that, I will also purchase a new glove box (we knew his was thrashed), looks like a wiper switch as well. I will tidy up all the connections, delete all the extra wires and who knows, may even hook up the stereo correctly for a change, wire it to start with the key...

So Monday a trip to the hut for some parts, a stop at the pars house for wire, connectors and the like.

Tomorrow I will get started deleting excess wires and identifying those that actually do belong and hopefully start eliminating potential fire hazards

Here are some photos for all you visual guys.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Been going through the same with mine, those defrost ducts were hard to slip on even with the dash pulled back.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Hockeydad4-22
Oh how I dislike going behind the dash, and why oh why do all teenage boys jump in there with a pocket knife and electrical tape. Remember TFB and the fuse block, "It's good enough dad!"

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Drew and his little pony are settling in just fine in the California sun. Too hot in the garage so he pulled her up under a shade tree in the yard to put the bikini top on.

Some things the Marines can not change

Loaded everything including the bronco on my pick up and hauled it to 29 Palms. Loaded to the max the trip took us over 20 hrs of driving not including the 4 hrs lost to buy a new tire thanks to some garbage on the highway, other than being slow, everything went great

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's quite a journey!! Glad it went well aside from the tire!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad your trip was a success, that is one fully loaded truck.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next