[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - My addiction
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My addiction 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post My addiction
Time for me to crash the bandwidth with my collection.

First up we have the '66 Roadster. I purchased this truck in 1999 for a cool 1500.00. Boy, did I ever think I was getting a sweet deal. I'd just come out of a '97 F150 XLT Lariat and I wanted something old and cool. I'd seen, or rather noticed, my first EB just a year prior while stationed in Alaska. I didn't know a damn thing about them except that I wanted one. So, with cash in hand I took this baby out of some poor sucker's garage (actually, driveway) and putted my way home with a bungee cord holding the door shut, rain soaking my pants legs, and a smile on my face. Because I lived in the barracks, and on the third floor, moving tools and parts to and from the parking lot (read: my single soldier garage) was quite the chore. I wound up storing most of my parts in the truck and packed a backpack with what I thought I would need for the day as far as tools went. I learned fast and hard that these things need a garage.

At the time I had a slow leak in one of the rear tires. I would air it up often to keep it from going flat. Because our barracks and parking lot were located right next to the base museum, the military police patrolled the lot frequently to ensure there were no derelict vehicles presenting a ghetto appearance to the 5 people a day who frequented the museum. I knew this, so I was diligent about keeping that tire aired up less I be towed. Just prior to a lengthy field exercise (pre-9/11 the longest I was ever gone was about a month), I placed a small, well concealed (or so I thought) jack stand under the axle near the offending tire. I had hoped this would help to conceal my tire going flat while I was gone. WRONG. The MPs noticed the jack stand and had it towed just days after I had left for the field. On returning, I found my beloved treasure gone and without a shred of paperwork to know where it was. After making a few phone calls, I was able to ascertain the location of my truck and the required steps to get it back. I only had one problem: no proof of ownership. Just after buying the truck, I realized exactly how much work would be required to get it to pass even the most basic of safety inspections. So, I obtained temporary tags for it so I could drive it to and from the various shops I planned to have work done at. I had driven a friend's truck to the DMV and stupid me I left the title in his truck. A few days later he cleaned out his truck and mistakenly chucked my title with the rest of the paper trash he found.

So here I am. No truck. No paperwork to back up my claim to ownership. I'm heartbroken. I pretty much wrote the truck off at this point. I mean, I had no way to prove that it was mine, so how could I get it back? Fast forward about two years. I've just changed jobs in the military and just gotten married. While moving my stuff in to our new apartment, I find a box of stuff I haven't seen in forever. As I sift through the box, I find my application for temporary tags I'd submitted years before. Also, I find my old proof of insurance cards. I think "what the hell. Couldn't hurt to try" and set out. I stop by the Provost Marshal's office and explain in excruciating detail to the young soldier sitting behind the desk my situation. He patiently hears me out. (Didn't really have much of a choice when I outranked him.) He talks to his sergeant, who happens to be an old Ford guy himself. The guy walks up to the window, looks at me and says "that's your Bronco? I've been eyeballing that thing for a year. Too bad you showed up. I was gonna try and get it!" The sergeant gives the desk guy the thumbs up and I'm told where I can go to collect my truck.

I showed up at the towing yard and found my Bronco pretty much the way I'd left it...minus my Uniden CB and antenna (small price to pay, I suppose). I'd arranged to have a rollback meet me at the yard and we picked up my Bronco and took it to the apartment. Needless to say my new wife was aghast at what I had just drug home. All she could say was "THAT'S what you've been talking about for so long?"

I managed to piddle with it a bit over the next few months and get it back on the road, getting pretty much back to the point where it was when I bought it. We rented a house later and I got to step up from a parking lot to a back yard (garages, not so big in NC). In the backyard I made quite a few repairs and get it to the point where not only was I confident in driving it, but I would let my wife ride with me. It came time to title and register the truck, so I had the NC State Patrol come out and do my VIN inspection. The trooper looked skeptical as I pointed to the cheap looking warranty tag on the driver's side kick panel and confidently announced "there's my VIN plate". When he raised his eyebrow and looked as if he was going to balk, I then stated "I can show you the matching VIN on the frame rail if you like, but I don't think you'd really want to crawl under the truck with me." Poof. Paperwork signed.

Repairs continued for a few more months until I convinced my wife to let me purchase a mig welder. With welder and an over inflated sense of confidence in hand, I began to tear my Bronco down to the frame. "How long could this possibly take?" I thought. If only I'd known then what I know now. Month went by with little to no progress. Work was picking up and I found myself working 30 days at a time, sometimes for 12 hours, and commuting 35 miles one way to boot. I'd purchased a beater truck at this point (1984 F150 4x4 with 5.0HO) and most of my disposable income was going towards repairs and fuel for that money pit.

Soon, it was time for us to move to Colorado and a tough decision had to be made. Leave the Bronco (scrap it) or take it with us. Common sense was nowhere near NC the day that decision was made and the Bronco was packed up inside a 26' Uhaul truck, in pieces, for the drive to Colorado. Along the way, we stopped in Missouri where my parents live. We'd planned to take 30 days of vacation on the move so I thought I might have some time to work on it. During that time I managed to strip the frame almost completely down, rebuild the leafs with an add-a-leaf lift, install 3.5" coils I'd picked up used, and conduct some shoddy patch work to the floor boards. Because I was spending so much time working on the Bronco, my marriage was starting to be strained, so I cut the Bronco time short. Because of this, when it came time to pack up again to go to Colorado, I was pretty much moving a rolling frame and tub. I could have kept my motor and tranny at my dad's place and gone back to pick it up later, but I didn't want to clutter up his place with my crap so I let it go to scrap. Three speeds are a dime a dozen and the motor was from a 70 Maverick 2 POs before me had installed. No real loss there.

Once we arrived in Colorado, worked picked up something fierce. In the first three years I lived here, I was only home for maybe 6 months, 9 max. The Bronco sat in my garage the entire time, moving to our newly purchased home and doing the same thing. A few years ago I approached my wife with the idea of selling it in favor of buying a Bronco in better shape. She was, of course, agreeable to this plan. Then I changed course. Now I wanted to rent a small shop, move all my tools, parts, and Bronco there and spend a few months working like a maniac to get it back on the road. God love her, she told me I could do that if I wanted, so long as there was a concrete deadline for completion.

Eventually, I conceded that I would NEVER have the time to put in to the '66 what would be needed to get it to the level of where I wanted it, resto-mod, rock crawler, or straight up roadster restoration. Also, almost two years of storage fees at the local public storage were crushing my motivation. I finally told my wife earlier this year the '66 was going away. She took it with a grain of salt. She's heard that from me before. It's still sitting in storage today but I plan to put it up from sale by the end of the month. I'm going to miss it and I really do hope it goes to someone who has good intentions, rather than just chopping it up for parts/VIN.

Here are a few pics:
In North Carolina. Same picture I submitted to and was featured in Bronco Driver's "Ugly Bronco" section.

What I was up against. The east coast is not nice to vehicles. This is what I found under FOUR layers of floorboard patchwork.

What it looks like today. It's in storage now, but the condition hasn't changed since this pic was taken.

Next is the '69 wagon. A few months ago, when I told my wife the '66 was going away, I started looking for a new Bronco. I did quite a bit of browsing and watched a lot of trucks go by while I bit my tongue. I know well enough now that there will ALWAYS be a better Bronco that comes up for sale eventually. Back in July I spotted an ad for a '69 for sale in Englewood. It seemed in reasonably good shape, had a rebuilt V8 (something which I did not have in the '66) and was within what I considered my budget. I made the drive up and looked at the truck. Things were in disrepair, but not far gone. And it was in better shape than the '66 when I bought it. The owner told me he had owned the truck for 15 years. His friend in high school owned it before him and they drove around in it all the time in school. After they graduated, he purchased the truck from his friend and drove it often. A few years ago, with the front pinion bearing going out and the clutch shot, he parked it. A few weeks later while on a ski trip, he lost the keys. While none of these really seemed like too large of problems, the economic crash made the Bronco a second priority for the PO. Time went by and things just were not improving for the guy. Eventually, he came to the realization that the Bronco had to go. I had a good look at the truck and felt it was a solid upgrade from what I was currently dealing with. Realizing the situation the guy was in, and the potential value of the truck once the repairs were made, I paid him asking value and picked it up the next day.

Knowing a bit more about Broncos at this time, and heeding some very good advise from the folks over on ClassicBroncos.com, I took my time and didn't rush getting this one on the road. All the fluids came out and were inspected while I swapped them. It took me a full three days of tinkering before I even attempted turning the motor over for the first time (lucky for me I have several nice lock pick sets and an extra ignition switch laying around). The clutch was a different matter altogether. PO told me the motor was rebuilt, but didn't mention a new block was used. My instinct was to pick up a clutch for a '69 Ford 302. As it turns out, the block was an '88 casting. Two different weights on the balancers. Bolt holes don't line up. Different size bolts for the clutches. Now I need a '69 throwout bearing for the '88 block and clutch. ARGGH!!!! What should have been a simple one night clutch swap turned in to three nights. I had once again violated my rule of never starting a project I can't finish in one day/night.

But I overcame the frustration and got the job done (I now HATE the idea of trying to line up a 3 speed and Dana 20 during reinstall). I put it back on the road and have been piddling with it since. Work trips have cut in to my wrenching time, but I still get an afternoon/evening every now and again.

And now some pics of the '69:

On the way home from PO's house. The Tacoma pulled it surprisingly well. And with good gas mileage! Of course, I was only doing a max of 50 MPH.

In the garage getting some TLC. I'm down to a one car at the moment. My tools and parts take up the other half, much to my wife's chagrin.

Sure does look pretty...at night. Had to run out for my favorite after Bronco food, Chipotle.

And now, finally, the '72 Sport. A few weeks ago, I was smoking the crack pipe again (reading craigslist Bronco ads) when I stumbled upon a very nice looking '72. "What the hell. Doesn't hurt to look, right?" Yeaaaaah. I emailed the seller. Got some basic info on the truck. Bad rust spots were described as "inner fender, brushguard, and kick panel". Truck hasn't run in 4 years since the seller took it in to have a fuel leak repaired. Has some of the thing I was thinking of doing to the '69: Dana 44, power steering, 351W. I called the seller and set up a time to look at the truck. As I pull up in front of the house, I looked at him, he at me, and we both smiled. We work together. Four years he and I have worked in shops near each other and I never knew he was in to Broncos. I get out, we shoot the breeze a bit, and we get down to the truck. Everything he described was exactly as I found it. Minimal rust (his definition of bad rust obviously not being based on a previous history of owning east coast trucks), clean looking engine, sharp paint job, and some peculiar accessories I didn't expect. We talked things over and I told him I would need to confer with my wife, but I was very interested. I could tell by talking to him that his selling it was hesitant. He's moving overseas and can only ship one vehicle through the military. Anything else and he would have to pay for it. A new born baby at home and graduate degree work leave little time for a Bronco. He told me he'd looked in to shipping it off to a shop for a frame off while he was gone, but found that to be far too expensive an endeavor. He'd even entertained several offers on the truck already, but like me with my '66, was hesitant to take them for fear the new owners would chop/gut/bastardize what he loved so much.

I spoke with my wife the next night and we came to a, tenuous, agreement that the Bronco could be purchased. However, I did propose (MY idea, LOL) that the other two Broncos go away. With that settled, I called the seller up and let him know that we had a deal.

I've been back over to the seller's house since, talking Broncos and snapping pics of my new-to-be Bronco. We talked over the accessories and a bit of history on the truck while I was there. Apparently he'd bought it from a guy out of Arizona some 10 years ago. All of the accessories were on the truck when the seller purchased it from the Arizona guy. I took a few pics of the accessories and set about investigating them. The PS gear box looked a bit odd, so I posted it on ClassicBroncos. A few of the responders told me it was a GM Saginaw box. "Dammit!", I thought. "Some hack did a GM install!"

On a whim, I sent Andrew Norton, of BajaBronco.com, an email and asked him about the box. He replied almost within the hour and confirmed for me what a very tiny part of my mind was thinking: the power steering install was most likely done at Bill Stroppe's shop. After looking at pics of Andrew's Stroppe restoration, I can tell you that the power steering gear box install looks almost EXACTLY like that which is on one of Andrew's Stroppe Bajas. In addition, the truck has dual shocks all the way around, bumper braces, and the Stroppe deluxe rollbar. We're still not sure, and don't know if we ever will be, if the 351W was also done by Stroppe. The casting numbers on the block are from 1971, just a year before my new Bronco was built/sold, so it is slightly possible.

All in all, I'd say I've got a truckload of investigating to do with this new Bronco. It should prove interesting, and exciting to say the least.

A few pics of the '72:

From the seller's craigslist ad. Or as I like to think of it "the bait that hooked me."

Another shot from the ad. Still looking pretty clean, albeit, in a garage.

The apparent handywork of Stroppe & Company. The original orange it was painted back in '72 when installed? I dunno.

Night shot in seller's garage. I'm still stoked about this one.

D1OE-6015-AA. 1971 Ford Fairlane/Torino family. Who knows if I'll ever find out whether Bill's guys slammed this puppy in there...

And that's it! My Bronco novel. Hope you enjoyed. I can't wait to get out there and roll with the guys from this club.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: My addiction
Great story about all 3 Broncos. I loved hearing about all of them. The Maroon Bronco should be an easy sell. I know you are trying to fix your Broncos to sell, but I would suggest getting them posted. I didnt care if my Bronco was running or in 100 pieces - I looked at both ends of the spectrum and everything in between. Since I am not a mechanic, I did get one with a rebuilt motor, trans, transfer case, so I could ceoncetrate on making it pretty. You wife sounds awesome to let you have 3 Broncos :)

I love the new grey Stroppe-ified Bronco and excited to see it in person sometime. Keep posting pics and hope that you can get the grey one home soon.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wait....I'm still waiting for the novel to load. bangtard Awesome writeup and welcome to the club!

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As far as the novel goes, I actually spent about two hours writing that up and collecting all the pics. During that time, I went back to my gallery on CB.com and found details about the '66 that I had forgotten.

The Terrible One

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's a great history you have there. I'm sure that pic of the Bronco in your garage is not uncommon in this club!

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is exciting you have an offer already. The way Broncos are selling right now is crazy.

BTW, I meant selling the whole Bronco(s) as a project as-is, not parting it out. You have way too much time, energy, sweat, and tears to do that.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hey Zack - is the color of your 1969 Metallic Ragoon Red? If it is, that is the original color of mine! I would love to see it and get some pics before it is gone. I am curious how much better looking it was before the PO sprayed it Red. If it is not, it is definitely close to what mine originally came.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I couldn't tell you what the current color name is. Was shot on the truck a few POs ago. The original color is the yellow that Viper has on his rig.

The Terrible One

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here are recent pics of the '66. I won't dual post these, for the sake of bandwidth and server space. This is also the truck in question in the "Possible Donor Bronco" thread.

Anyone has any interest in this thing, do keep in mind it is available.

The view with the storage unit door open. Nothing really special here.

The infamous 1966 "eyebrow" grill.

Dana 30 front. "New" radius arm bushings and C wedge bushings installed in '04. 0 miles! LOL 4.56 gears front and rear. Or whatever the offset is.

Here's where things start to get ugly. Dan, you think you've seen rust?

Here's my half ass, installed in 30 minutes floorpans. Basically, I needed something flat and semi-attached so I could load the Bronco, tools, and parts up for the move from Kansas City to Colorado Springs. Unfortunately, they never came out and were never replaced with real floor pans. Kind of a testament to exactly how much free time I have had over the last few years.

That's about enough for now. No reason to scare the kids.

The Terrible One

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's your teaser pic. Enjoy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That looks like a nice bronco. From the teaser pic, sure doesn't look to need much. Nice find, glad it all came together for you.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Way excited that Gray Mare made it to your house. Hoped to see it yesterday in person but definitely looking forward to more pics. Zack's Moooovin' On Up - To a Delux Stroppe-ified. Congrats Zack on one of the best finds of 2010.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It does look nice.

Hope you keep us updated with lots of pics documenting it's current condition (we can't wait until next BwB).

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More more more!

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Okay. Okay. Here comes some more. I've been in the house all day taking care of the wife/chores so I haven't had any time yet to start tearing in to it. I did learn one very good lesson today: tow dollys are not very good a backing up once you put a car on them. Because of this, the '72 is on the street at the moment. The '69 was happy to donate the rear license plate though.

A nice exterior shot.

Door posts

Rockers

Striker post

DS floorpan

PS Inner fender

And interior

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

And now for the "odd" stuff.

1971 302. The high temp engine paint on this thing looks like it was shot last year, not 10 years ago.

Here you can see the underside of the frame rail where it was notched to accommodate the GM Saginaw power steering box.

And here is the GM Saginaw box. My understanding is these boxes were orange when new. This is not the original box, as I have found a receipt for a core exchange and new PS box dating back to 4/27/00. The part specified on the receipt: "Power steering box, 1975 Ford Truck, Bronco, 302/5.0L" If you look just above the box, you can see where the bumper brace was relocated to the also modified body mount point. The original location of the tie in for the bumper brace is just to the left of the shock.

Mounting point for the automatic transmission cooler. Oddly enough, the truck has a three speed in it now. But it will be going back to an auto one of these days.

Check these out. Looks like some grade A fabrication there on the mount for this.

I hate these and look forward to the day I take my grinder to them.

SOMETHING ran through this whole where the blue square is. I'm wondering that that something was.

If you look closely at this shot of the PS header, you'll see the tubes for the first two cylinders actually route down in front of the motor mount before turning to the rear. That is going to be fun to deal with, I'm sure. Anyone else running a similar set up?

The Terrible One

Last edited by akaFrankCastle on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Because I was too ignorant to notice the "351W" was actually a 302.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I like it, i've seen that type of header before but haven't had to mess with them yet. Crazy drop bracket on the arms, are you sure you want them gone? That is an anti-wrap device on the rear right? Overall is looks great w/the usual problems and PO mods that I'm sure you'll have fun figuring out.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, I did a little digging around and here's some more info I figgered out on my new Bronco.

November 1971 build (just 4 years prior to my hitting the ground).

Original color: Medium Mallard Green Metallic.

U152 Model: 4700/HD package

Body: 34? Derka derka

Originally a 3 speed, as were all the 72's.

Axle code: A5L (4.11s, Limited slip)

And DSO: 71, Los Angeles

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

still looks like a good find zack, i look forward to seeing it.

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, I got out of the house for a bit today and piddled with the new Bronco.

I'm still trying to assess what needs to stay and what needs to go to get it to where I want it. Looking at the interior, I decided to have a look and see what kind of work at been done in the past. There are A crap TON of small holes in the interior of the truck. Most look like self tapping sheet metal screw holes. When I pulled up the carpet, I found a little surprise.

Apparently someone thought it a good idea to affix a 1/2" sheet of plywood to the floor of the Bronco using 9,683,214 self tapping sheet metal screws. Good initiative. Bad judgment.

And under the plywood, a thin layer of masonry insulation.

Moving towards the front of the truck, I did a little prep work/investigation in support of my soon to occur Corbeau purchase. Found an interesting seat mounting technique.

Luckily, I happen to know this guy who knows another guy who is a Corbeau dealer. So, I'll be ordering all new seat mounts and sliders just as soon as I pick up my seats.

Other fun facts: You might remember my telling everyone the '72 had a 351W in it. Turns out that is not the case. Yup. I'm an idiot. PO told me 351W, his ad for the truck said it. I thought I had pulled some numbers off the engine that confirmed that. Not so much the case.

I did find a C9ZF casting number on my dizzy which comes out to a Boss 302 part number. Kind of interesting. About the only out of the ordinary part on the motor.

I'm pulling the valve covers tomorrow (mostly to check casting numbers) as well as changing the oil, dropping the main and auxiliary tanks for a flush and assessment of that troublesome sending unit.

Carb rebuild kit for the Holley 2300 should be in on Tuesday. So, if everything goes according to plan, I should be turning key on Wednesday some time.

I found an interesting number stamped in to the block, just in front of the DS head, on one of the ears the water pump bolts to. Anyone have any ideas what it means?

"1B19E"

I think I'd read some where that this number was part of the VIN of the original vehicle the motor was installed in. Anyone hear anything of that sort?

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cannot wait to see that Bad Boy in person. I am siding with Melanie to keep the Grey - that is such a sweet color! Too bad about the plywood and holes in the floor - looks like you will be playing with the welder filling holes like I am. I am in Utah getting my Family Cage, Bumpers, and a load of Corbeau Seats!

Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Surprise of the day
Pretty light day with the Bronco (s) for the most part. Changed the oil in both the '69 and '72. The '69 was due so I went ahead even though it is technically sold. The '72 wanted to be a PITA. I don't know why some people put oil filters on like they are attaching a roll cage. Had to bust out the hammer and flat tip, punch a hole in the filter, and use the flat tip as a filter handle.

While laying under the truck watching the oil drain and day dreaming about cranking it up, I noticed a funny tag on the Dana 44. Not in the usual place, but on the DS. A little Simple Green and a Scotchbrite pad revealed this.

How cool is that? I looked up the numbers from the ratio tag as well...

and confirmed it as a Trak-Lock limited slip unit. icon biggin

The Terrible One

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

^Thats pretty cool, I had similar shaped tag on mine but it was smashed in and I couldn't read it. Cool find. I hate it when some gorilla torques the oil filter to 20K lb#'s of tq... WHY?! Its not like they have a tendency of falling off or people stealing them

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tore back in to the Stroppe'd yesterday.

- Drained the fresh oil I just put in the other day.
- Pulled the old fuel pump.
- Pulled the oil pan (as far as it would go). I'll have to snap a pic today to show you the problem spot. Rather than running in to clearance issues with the top of the differential, the headers screwed me. Both sides have at least one tube that cuts too far towards the center line and prevents the pan from dropping.
- Snatched the oil pump drive shaft from the oil pan.
- Dropped oil pump drive shaft back in.
- Dropped dizzy back in.
- Snugged oil pan back up.
- Ran new rubber fuel line from carb to fuel pump and fuel pump to gas can. I still haven't dropped the old tanks yet to flush them out. Priority for me has been to get the Bronco running so I can get it off the street and in to the garage.
- Dropped new battery in.
- Attempted to crank. Nothing.
- Whacked solenoid with hammer.
- Attempted to crank and FIRED RIGHT UP.

A few things to note. Normally I would have primed the oil pump with a drill or equivalent on the oil pump drive shaft. Hence my pulling the dizzy and dropping that sucker in to the oil pan. But, I didn't want to run the risk of refilling the oil pan and dropping the drive shaft back in again, so I decided to skip this part. Additionally, when I had the pan down I found the pistons were reused during the previous rebuild (D1OE-AA cast right in to them bigger than crap) so this motor will be coming out some day in the near future and be rebuilt again or I'll drop a 351W in it.

I've also noticed, how could I not, a massive oil leak at the rear of the motor. I'm hoping this is because I reused the previous gasket on the oil pan. If not, it's probably the rear main.

The Terrible One

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next