[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Justin's retroactive build thread
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Justin's retroactive build thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Justin's retroactive build thread
I figure I’ve owned my Bronco for almost a year, why not finally get around to starting a build thread? I'll start with a recap: I had a ’73 in college that I loved but sold to go to grad school. About 4 years ago my wife and I were in a bad car wreck that resulted in me having a couple of surgeries and about 6 months of physical therapy. After we finally settled with the insurance company I decided I wanted to take a chunk of the money and buy something that I could use to get into the backcountry since I probably couldn’t backpack anymore. I originally looked at my Bronco in October of 2010 after finding it on Craigslist and had a um, conversation where I was informed by my wife that no way, no how, was I buying “some old truck that we’re going to spend a billion dollars fixing!” (the number may be higher-don’t tell her). A few more “conversations” followed over the next couple months, with my more fiscally responsible half declaring that I’d never see ownership. Fast forward to Christmas. Guess what was sitting in the driveway when we got home from the in-laws? My wife had bought it sight unseen from the owner based on my having picked it as “the one” and the PO delivered it to our house on Christmas morning.

As it sat my Bronco hadn’t run in 5 years, but had almost no rust, an NP435, ARBs front and rear, a rear axle with a big bearing housing, 31 spline Currie axles and a nodular iron Currie 3rd member, 35x13.5x15 Baja Claws, a cobbled together 3.5” rear and 5.5” front lift, a set of Mastercraft seats and tube bumpers front and rear. I was suddenly the proud owner of a non-running but very cool ride. Next day I picked up an Optima from Costco and the truck fired right up! I took some family members for rides around the neighborhood, but the fun ended when a weld on the shift lever for the NP435 broke and the lever came out in my hand. This began a long series of projects on the truck that took care of a number of issues.

The first thing I took care of was was the shift lever. I found one at a junkyard and Zillacon got it bent up to clear the dash. I then went about installing a Centech wiring harness. The PO had rewired the ignition, headlights and taillights through a toggle on the dash with a push button to start the engine. The wipers, brake lights, blinkers and anything else electrical didn’t work. After starting repairs and finding a number of burned wires I decided it was easier to rewire the entire truck than to try and repair it. Other than working in my unheated garage during a cold snap in January this went in with minimal fuss and a little help from Viperwolf. I then got to work on fixing the slop in the steering, beginning with new tie rods. I ended up installing 1.5” DOM tube rods with Chevy 1 ton tie rod ends and did a tie rod over conversion in the process. Many thanks to Zillacon who welded the tie rods up and Zoso for loaning me the reamer for the TRO conversion.

Once I was able to drive it around at speed I discovered some significant driveline vibrations. Both were rebuilt with new double cardan joints and all new Spicer u-joints. After driving it a little more I decided that no top or doors got too cold in sub-freezing temps, so I put the doors back on and installed the old Kayline soft top that came with the truck.

Next a front disc conversion went in. I tracked down a set of ’78 Bronco knuckles, hubs, spindles and discs on craigslist for cheap. New ball joints were pressed in by CrawlerCreations and the whole mess went together with some new wheel bearings. It made a big difference in how well the truck stopped, but hydroboost will still be going in in the near future.

I took it wheeling the day after I got the discs in and discovered how much work breaking trail in the snow is with manual steering. This made power steering a new priority. I started by rebuilding and installing a column from a ’72 F-150 I got out of a wrecking yard with CascadeJohnson. I rebuild a collapsible lower steering shaft and installed it at the same time. I was lucky enough to get a huge chunk of help from a bunch of people at the CCB tech day at Hockeydad’s shop. The frame was notched and reinforced and in went one of CascadeJohnson’s 4x4x2 steering boxes, along with a Wild Horses bracket and pump kit I got used from Zillacon. A steel tube rear bumper and tire carrier was also welded up and installed, giving me a newfound ability to carry a spare tire.

Following this, my transfer case began making some bad noises, so that was swapped out with a used one. Many thanks to BNC04 for an able set of hands to help.
The bad noise got better, but the rear of the truck was still making some sounds that were narrowed down (by ViperWolf and 777Mechanic, who owns the largest floor jack I’ve ever seen) to a bad pinion bearing. I figured that as long as I had to pull the 3rd member I’d also rebuild the rest of the rear axle. Zillacon provided his services to repair the bearing and reset the gear mesh and in went new brake hardware and wheel bearings. It turned out to be an extremely good idea that I pulled the rear end apart as the PO had installed inner oil seals with tapered roller bearings, meaning that the wheel bearings were getting almost no lubrication.

Since then I’ve mostly driven it a bunch. It did Yankee Hill, Jenny Creek, Coney Flats, Middle St. Vrain and Kingston Peak this summer and proved that my driving skills will be less capable than my rig for a long time to come. I also drove it to work on the nice Fridays, horrifying my Prius driving Boulderite co-workers. I haven’t actually parked on any of them yet, but it’ll happen. Hydroboost is planned for the next couple of months, as is cutting the fenders more and removing the 2” body lift. I’ve also got a full cage sitting on my garage floor waiting for the repair of the driver’s side floorboard for installation. Soon after I’m hoping to cut off the rockers and install some sliders with the welder I just ordered (I should probably learn to weld first).

Mostly I’m writing this up just for fun and as a place to add updates as I continue the build, but my truck is also a great example of why CCB is an awesome club. I knew some, but not much about working on cars when I bought this thing. I bought it with the idea that I’d learn as I went and with every project I’ve undertaken this has been true. Every major project has also had the help of at least one CCB member. In some cases lots of members came together and made it happen for me. I want to give a big, fat thank you to the members of this club, as you all have made my EB experience easier and a ton more fun. I’ve learned lots about fabrication, electrical and mechanical repairs and gotten a ton of advice about how to drive a built 4x4 off road without dying or looking any dumber than I normally do. This is a great group of people and I’m appreciative that I get to be a Colorado Classic Broncos member.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Justin's retroactive build thread
Wow Justin - interesting read, great to remember how you came about getting your Bronco and how capable it is. Awesome !

I was very impressed how well you did on Jenny Creek which is now one of my favorite trails.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing you soon.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin that's a great story. Glad to see the Bronco went to a worthy home and to someone who takes good care of it.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys! Its been a learning process for sure. Forgot one rebuild and an upgrade-did the heater box seals, core and Chevy motor/squirrel cage upgrade in October. Replaced the stock radiator with a Champion 3 core sometime around July. Now I just need to be able to get the truck up to temp-that great radiator works even better when its freezing out, and keeps that great heater from making as much heat as is should.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Finally got around to installing the Warflares I picked up back when they were on sale at WH. I'm pretty happy with how they came out. Major improvement over the thrashed fiberglass that was there before. I didn't go with a super-extreme install, but may cut some more metal out when I get around to replacing my rockers with 2x6 steel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:24 pm

looks much better.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great. What ya use to cut them?

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mostly a harbor freight body shear. Had to do one part with a cutoff wheel. If you cut yours you're welcome to borrow either.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I will take ya up on the offer. Your Bronco really looks good with the red and black - flare made a big difference.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin - that looks really great............

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, guys. I was surprised at the difference some small changes made. I'm now considering keeping the beltline trim, works better with the new flares and lack of ugly diamond plate.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I like the belt line trim on yours

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great write up and everything you've done has only made a good truck better.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

looks great!

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Making progress. Floorboards and new floor support brace are in. Got the inner and outer rockers cut out and the new inner rocker trimmed to fit. So far, so good. I'm dreading dealing with the door post-I really want my door to line up properly after all of this. I discovered today that if a really sharp piece of hot metal finds the only tiny hole in your gloves it'll jam itself into the middle of the pad of your index finger. At least it was kind enough to cauterize the hole.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking good Justin. The more I see of everyone cutting out and welding in new panels makes me think about stripping mine down and installing floor pans, kick panels and door posts.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great with the flares! I had zero knowledge of replacing those parts with my project but I managed to get through it with a ton of patience and a gross of self tapping screws. I attached a picture with measurements that someone on here sent me. Pretty standard numbers for most!

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin, you are truly gettin after it. Keep up the good work.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The encouragement is appreciated! Pony, thanks loads for that pic-I think it'll really help.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No worries...If you need some help let me know. I also used a floor jack and 36" piece of 4x4 to get the dash in its proper place.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pony, PMed you. Thanks! Got some more work done on it this evening. Got the inner rocker welded in and learned a lot about spot welding in the process. I was surprised at how much heat they could take. Also finished up spot welding the floor board to the stock sheet metal. Progress!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have finally gotten some time to get work done and am making some good progress. Got the door post sectioned in yesterday after a bunch of work to make sure the door aligns properly. I picked up a set of tube doors that came with some lift-off hinges and they've been invaluable. I think I've had the doors on and off at least 15 times over the course of this project to make sure things are lining up since this was a major issue with my old, tweaked sheet metal. It now clicks closed with a gentle push of a pinkie, major improvement. Now I just need to get the rocker fitted and welded and I'll be ready to move on to paint!

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good man - making good progress. Which tube doors did you go with?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I picked up the used James Duff set that came up for sale here awhile back.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice work!

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, I've got the truck back together, at least enough for now. The rocker is held on with sheet metal screws and it needs some more paint, but I needed to get it back on the road. It isn't a perfect job, but the door closes very well. I'm happy with it given that I've never done body work before. It's accomplished the goal of getting the floor solid enough to put a full cage in and many of the errors will be cut off or corrected when I install sliders. Thanks to everyone that has offered suggestions, advice, etc. Special thanks to Gunnibronco, who spent a bunch of time on the phone with me answering my zillion or so noob questions. It was a big help!

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin, looking good. Be nice to see it back on the road at the BWB.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Huh, was reading over this since it'd been awhile. I think I spent more on gas than parts this summer. Nice change of pace....

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 544 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next