[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Justin's retroactive build thread
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Justin's retroactive build thread 

Post Re: Justin's retroactive build thread
Damn sorry to hear about the issue, were the heads redone before install, how long had it been sitting before firing it up?

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Heads were gone through (cleaned and new valve springs) by Scott at MPG heads and later machined by Western Engine. Engine sat for 12-18 months before being fired.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd bet you lost a head gasket. I'm guessing Kirk might chime in but I sold him an engine many years ago that I knew nothing about besides it being a fresh build before sitting for about a year. He fought head gaskets on that thing for a while. Everything was new, it just ate the head gaskets for some reason.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks. I'm hopeful that's all it is. This is the first engine I've built and the first time installing head gaskets, so messing it up seems like a likely explanation. I've drained the coolant, hit the cylinder with compressed air and wd40. Anything else I can do to protect from rust?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Doesnt seafoam protect from rust and might reach other areas that wd40 wont

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:57 am

quick tear it down. I believe I have a set of standard head gaskets in the garage.

I sure hope you don't have the bronco curse.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is why I'll only use cometic head gaskets if they're made for the engine I'm building. No soft material to fail.

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got the head taken off. Gasket was intact, but there was something that looked like scuffing on the underside of the #6 cylinder (the one that was barfing coolant). I managed to bang up the gasket during disassembly, so this could have been user error. Checked the flatness block with a straight edge and can see light under it. There appears to be a .002in dip in the block towards the top of the #6 cylinder, so I'm wondering if this is the source of my issues. The mating surface of the heads were milled, but the block wasn't. Pics of the block, gasket and head attached.

Anything else I can do or check before I put this back together and pray?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think they make thicker head gaskets that you can try.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got the engine back together with all new head gaskets. If I can get off work early enough the plan is to strap on my triple ply underpants and fire it. Really hoping it works this time. If anyone is in the neighborhood and wants to give it a look-see before I run it I'd be appreciative. Otherwise prayers to the diety of your choice are gratefully accepted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:20 pm

I know the feeling the first motor start up was gut wrenching. I will light a candle for you thumbs up thumbs up

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Proof of life. Finished the transmission mount today.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks! Engine fired, but I'm having issues with some cylinders running very lean. Lean enough that I've had some of the header primaries glowing just running it in the garage. Current best guess is that the heads were shaved too much for stock pushrods. Going to do a compression test and see where things land. Also looking at bad coil, clogged injector, etc. Props to Gary for much excellent tech support! Hoping to get a new battery in today so that I can get that done.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Contracted some very local, very cheap labor and got the crossmember installed. Pretty happy with how it came out.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This weekend was exhausting (#intentionaldadjoke). As long as everything was apart, I took the time to re-lego the exhaust to behind the tire so that I don't go deaf every time I drive it.

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Also, Gary came over today and made it run right. I'm doing a massive, full-on white guy happy dance. It's not pretty, so I'll share this video instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7MXuQOyS4

Since I'm not smarter than phpBB you all get a link instead of an embedded video.

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Woot! Can't wait to see you driving it.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ahhh yeah!!!

Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:19 am

SWEET!! motor sounds great thumbs up

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Justin's retroactive build thread
Nice, I’m a huge fan of running motors! Ha!

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Love the video!

Good to see it running!

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, guys! Here's the real reason my rig has been down so long. Bet the new Bronco won't have this feature. Image

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Auto pilot! Nice! Getting all tesla on us!

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Didn't have enough speed holes on the Bronco, so I made a bracket.Image

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like a t-case mount? What is the going ratio of mph per hole these days?

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Coil pack mount. Thats the cross bar running between the shock towers. I believe its 3mph per hole, 2mph per sticker.

Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:06 am

Looks at those pretty welds !!

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Front end.....Monday?Image

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next