[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Entourage
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Entourage 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Entourage
I moved to Denver (From Utah) in December 2009 for a new job in Lakewood. I love it here and will go down as one of my best decisions.

My EB Story: My favorite TV Show is Entourage on HBO. During the Season Finale in June 2010, Vincent Chase picked up Turtle in a Red Early Bronco. Instantly knew I had to have one and have been obsessed ever since. After looking at countless eBay, KSL, and Craigslist ads over the summer, I found a 1973 Bronco in Pueblo,Colorado in September 2010. Made the deal and drove it home and started tearing it apart.

My wife's Family owns an automotive repair shop in Utah that has been open for 50 years. It has 12 bays, 10 lifts, welders, torches, storage, compressors, part washers, engine shop, exhaust bay, alignment rack, tire shop, and every tool imaginable. Here I am, 500 miles away, doing everything myself, in a 2 car garage, with no mechanical experience with cars, limited number of tools, and a dream of building a bad ass Bronco.

This Bronco Project is a replacement for an amazing custom 1-of-a-kind 2005 Harley Springer Classic I bought out of New York for my 30th Birthday. Luckily, I sold it to one of my closest friends so someone I know gets to enjoy it. I am married with 2 amazing kids and needed a hobby that could include all us. A Classic Bronco is the perfect Harley-Davidson replacement.

I would never have dared to start this project without the amazing resources at ClassicBroncos.com and ColoradoClassicBroncos.com. I am very excited to be in this group and meet more great people.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Entourage on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Entourage
WOW :shock:

Looks like you're well on your way to a sweeeeeet rig man! We need to talk about your hoops up front, that's on my to do list.

Nice work! I'll be looking forward to a ride when shes on the road.

Billie

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is going to be some sweet rig.

BTW, if you ever want to go for a wimpy little motorcycle ride, I've got a spare 85 magna you can borrow. It's no harley, but I can loosen a couple bolts so it will drip if you need.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I definitely miss motorcycles - I may take you up on the offer :). FYI My Harley never leaked and had the Balanced SofTail H-D Motor so you wouldn't have to 'Loosen any Bolts' but that does add to the level of excitement :D.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Over the last few weeks, I removed the Tub with an Engine Hoist, then working on the Chassis and Tub. I completely stripped old paint, undercoating, dirt, grease, 35 years of grime, etc. with Airplane paint stripper, grinder, sanded, etc. trying to make it look like new. Luckily, no rust issues to repair. After I was down to bare metal, I applied Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, Eastwood Rust Proofing material, Eastwood Epoxy Primer, and finally Eastwood Ceramic Undercoating in Gloss Finish.

Thank goodness for the nice weather last weekend. I converted my garage into a paint booth with plastic walls and floor, fan, etc. First time ever using a spray gun. Used my new DeVilbis Straightline HVLP Primer Gun. Things came out nice for a first timer :).

Excited to get my front springs back from Roadrunner Powdercoating tomorrow. This weekend I get to install new ProComp shocks, exhaust headers, mount the junk wheels tires, and mount the Tub back on the Chassis. This is exciting for many reasons, but most of all, I can get my car and my wife's SUV back in the garage.

Then comes the body work :(. I am not looking forward to it - at least I have the winter to work on it. Need to make a run to Bronco Hut to get new Rear Fenders in the next few weeks - excited to finally meet Melissa in person.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like things are moving along nicely...can't wait to see the finished product.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I hope to have it ready for Spring 2011. Everything is taking longer and costing more than I expected - just like everyone's Bronco project. I will post a few more pics after the weekend and it is back together.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is an amazing amount of work, nice job! I'd love to hear feedback about the Eastwood products that you used, I'll be thinking of doing the same work on my rides in the future.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks. I was very lucky - rust wasn't an issue, motor already rebuilt, etc. It is nice to get it back together and have all 3 cars in the garage. I cannot believe the mood swings during a build project - happy, sad, frustration, wanting to punch something, laughing, nothing going right, everything going right, close to tears, then starts all over again. Luckily, at the end of the day, there is a sense of accomplishment.

The Eastwood products have been amazing. I am very impressed with each item I have used so far. I ordered a lot of AutoBody products as well and looking forward to trying them out. I will keep posting updated.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was able to get body mounted with new Energy Suspension Urathane bushings and Bolts without the 2" Body Lift. It should be easier to get in and out when it is all complete. I may have some air cleaner clearance issues later.

I spent the whole weekend sanding. It is crazy to see piles and piles of red dust. I used the eastwood Stripping Pad for my Buffer to strip the paint. It saved me $100 in sand paper. There is a cleaning disk that came in the kit that I still need to use. Luckily, there is a minimal amount of Bondo and body damage. There is a little rust on the rear quarters. I need to cut and replace the rear quarter panels next.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So when should I expect you? I need my Bronco sanded and painted also. I think you need the practice. Let me know when you're headed down ;)

Looks awesome by the way!!!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Where do I get in line?

Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Talked to Keith (Plumbdoctor) yesterday and got excited that I really can do it myself. Sounds like he is another painting pro that did it all in his garage. Said that he had a couple dog hairs in the paint but looked great. Made my day to hear than - I cannot pay the big bucks to have it painted professionally. I would rather have bumpers, family cage, winch . . . :)

I highly recommend the Stripping/Cleaning Pad set for your grinder from Eastwood - that thing made paint fly everywhere.

Cortex and Airbur - you guys are crazy - I am striving for an 8 or 8.5 on my paint job. I have seen your trucks and I know you guys are wanting 10's :)

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the kudo's, I don't know if I am a pro... but it can be done! Prep is everything!

Chad it was fun to meet you on Mon, this passion is a fun one isn't it!!!!

Keith

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A few updates on my project - Auto Body, Welding, New Cage/Bumpers, etc.:

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ground down the welds with a Flapper Wheel (Awesome!) and cut our my rear lower quarters. Used Aircraft Stripper on the Upper Rear Quarter and did a great job stripping a few layers of paint in just a few minutes with little work. Need to rustproof the area behind the new panel before welding it up.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet progress man! Keep it up!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Lookin good man!

I've been seriously considering painting mine myself too. I'll be watching yours to see how it turns out. How much, if any, did you need to trim the repo quarters?

popcorn

My Personal Website -

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was surprised how well the Rear Quarters fit into place. They hit at the top of the Door Pillar at the top corner but seem to fit really really well. I was going to pay to have these installed but really happy I went ahead and installed them myself. I will be welding them in tonight and starting to strip the remaining layers of paint. I will let you know if I need to trim them, but the test fit looks like DynaCorn has done a fantastic job.

I am ordering Epoxy Primer and Build Primer and hoping to spray them first weekend in February.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Man your truck looks awesome...Come on by and you can practice more on mine!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Pony - yours will be in car shows when you are done but I do want to come check out the progress this week.

FYI - Purchased a Spot Weld Drill Bit at Harbor Freight and it kicked butt removing all of the spot welds on my Rear Quarter Panels. I purchased 2 double-sided bits and I only used 1 side on 1 bit. At $4.99, they are a bargain compared to the more expensive professional bits at $25.00 and up. Thought I would pass the info on.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth ... 95343.html

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would like to think it will be that nice, thanks for the optimism...anyhow come on by and check it out!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

chad - you are coming right along, good progress.............

bring her to the bumper build Saturday

icon biggin

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Be careful with those spot weld bits from harbor frieght. I learned the hard way when one shattered and shot across the garage. Luckily I had eye protection. Otherwise they're thumbs up

My Personal Website -

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is pretty impressive work! Especially when it's being done in a home garage. Keep it up and I can't wait to see the final outcome.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Brian - The auto body guy at 777Mechanics Tech Class - did some work on my tailgate. It was dented in 3 places where the factory spare tire carrier mounts to the gate. Brian pulled the two large dents, one smaller dent, and got me on my way. Before leaving, I had to check out his shop, paint booth, and his work.

I have to say, I am extremely impressed with his auto body skills and attention to detail. He had a 2009 F-150 that needed both front fenders and new hood. The mineral gray paint and clear coat he sprayed was flawless and the color match was perfect.

His shop is 10 miles West of I-25 on Santa Fe. Thanks for the referral Mike.

Here are a couple pics of the tailgate - turned out great:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dan - thanks a ton for sharing your auto body expertise. Saved me hours of wasted time, frustration, plus lots of money.

I am hoping to Spray Primer the weekend of February 4th. I cannot wait to get it a solid color - even if it just Primer Gray. It has been this red, gray, maroon, silver, yellow, and black paint scheme and driving me crazy. It has looked the same for months and ready to have it one color.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I commend you on your patience and desire for a job well done. Is it too soon (or polite?)to ask what colors you're considering?
Red? Gray? Maroon? Silver? Yellow? or Black?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not too soon at all - I am doing a single stage urethane in Pure White. I chose White because it is a good choice for a first-time painter - non metallic, shows less flaws in auto body, easy to keep clean, matches everything, and it is one my favorite car/truck color. The White BC Bronco is one of my top Broncos of all time.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next