[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Project "Wilma" 1971 Bronco
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Project "Wilma" 1971 Bronco 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Project "Wilma" 1971 Bronco
Well if I happen to c 1 I'll chk with you b4 I pull it.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Front springs in...... check

For the first time since I have owned her, Wilma is a roller!

Next step, start mocking up the drivetrain, engine, trans and t-case (which I am still looking for btw), then start in on the tub.

But first, chain her to the column in the garage before Drew, Frankie and Willem get any bright (jackass) ideas and test my insurance coverage

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Sat May 04, 2013 1:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

have I mentioned how awesome this club is?

Today a member called me as he was in the neighborhood with a special gift for me.... He had picked up a NP205 and delivered it to me and ge got it at an absolute deal! Thanks !

Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So in addition to attending several graduations, partys and dinners, I managed to spend sometime in my garage this weekend. I took most of a day and got about half the engine cleaned up, then I recruited several big strong teenage boys and one big strong bronco brother and we carried Wilma's tub out of the back yard this morning and placed her on the frame.

After that we rolled hr back into the garage so I could go spend some time at said Bronco Brothes house helping him with his project.

I know...pictures.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 27, 2013 8:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So once Wilma's tub was applied to her frame I was able to get my first good look at what it is I am working with

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 27, 2013 8:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've been spending half a day per weekend over the last several weeks going through the engine, taking it apart, cleaning, painting, replacing seals and putting her back together.

Just about done with the top, need to pull the valve cover and replace the gasket, I think that is the only leak I have on he whole thing. Then I will drop the pan, replace the rear mail seal, pan gasket and prob he pump as well.

With half an ounce of luck, by the weekend this part of the project will be done. Then on to trans, t case and getting all of them between the frame rails so I can start body work

Last edited by hockeydad4-22 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very nice! Between Wilma and the Black Smoke Donkey, we're going to have some unusual rigs in this club.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I scored some 5 1/2" leafs and progressive coils from Kinder - so once again, Wilma has grown....

Definitely need to do some extended radius arms now!

Does not look like much with no body work done (have to fill my welding gas so I can get after it- been carrying the empty in my truck for about 2 weeks - just have not gotten over to ft it filled) so I did not take any pics

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh boy - this has been far to long with out updates - mostly because there have been none to give.

I gave my engine, steering box and T-case to Drew to get his bronco running and driving reliably, then he decided he wanted my axles - which he removed but never installed in his - just tore down and left them, my suspension and all the hardware scattered all over the garage. At that point I decided it was best for me to leave Wilma alone for a bit while I worked on his. Which I did, as well as working on both son's other trucks at seemingly regular intervals (is it just me or does there seem to be a pattern here?)

Well last Tuesday I finally made it up to Pine Junction to pick up a brand new to me set of rollers (Thanks Colby!) and that got me all fired up to get back to work. So this weekend I put my rear axle back together, mounted those rollers to both axles and started to re-assemble the front suspension. This was halted suddenly when I realized that 6 of the 8 bolts for holding the C-Caps to the radius arms are missing... Fortunately while I happened to be cruising the Littleton PnP on Saturday (yeah - I know, its a strange way to spend a Saturday afternoon - what can I say? I'm a strange guy) I noticed a 78 bronco there that still had the front axle installed. Therefore today - after work - I am off to snag those elusive bolts.

Once I have the axles back underneath - other than the drive train parts that are missing, I am where we left off what - 2 years ago or so.

Picks when there is something worth posting.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If PnP doesn't yield some bolts I think I've got a few spares laying around.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was thinking about Wilma the other day. Glad the ole girl is getting some attention!

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad you could make use of Sally's old wheels for Wilma. Thanks for making the long trek to Pine Junction to grab them!

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Let me know what parts you need, I'm STILL cleaning out my garage and side yard junkyard.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks to bronco brothers Phil, Kirk and Justin as well as much needed muscle from eldest son Daniel, Wilma,s tub is now mounted to the club rotessorie and I am researching best places to order replacement body parts from (door posts and front floor pans are the primary needs right now - RUST!!!)

Any experience with different vendors, opinions etc..?

And I will be reviewing the extended radius arms thread, is anyone running them yet? I need to build a set for full width axles.

Ok- out to the garage, I need to measure and brace and inspect carefully what I have going on

After the manual labor was done yesterday, we enjoyed the results of my first batch of home brew, everyone seemed to think it is quite tasty!

Last edited by hockeydad4-22 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good. Do you already have the axles?

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5401415214.html

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Oh yeah, I have axles

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I got my floor pans from the Bronco Hut. I liked them. Fit really well. Have door posts, kick panels and rockers from them waiting to go in. Unless someone says that another vendors are that much better, the savings on shipping make them a lot cheaper. I got all of the OEM quality stuff. We'll see how true that is.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

BH actually supplies a lot of the other vendors with their sheet metal.Plus they use their parts on their restorations every day.Time is money.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad to see some movement here! Wilma needs some attention.

Home brew...a white or wheat beer?

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd buy from BH. There's only a couple of companies making panels, so the vendors are all selling mostly the same stuff. One exception is floor pans, and BH's are supposed to be pretty good. Where they're available, I'd spring for Dynacorn's parts. The core supports I got were at least as good as factory, if not better.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Further de-constructing Wilma this morning.

Pulled the dash pad and dash, who says EB heaters and defroster don't get hot?

Next: measurements and bracing the tub so I can take the doors off and start cutting away "less than desirable" areas of rusted body parts

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Surely someone was using the defrost as an ash tray?? I've not ridden in one that got that hot! Whew!

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ignition switch was right below it. And we all know how reliable those things are.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nope. Somebody welded the windshield frame on when it was replaced (silly POs)

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Do you need a new defrost duct?

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well she's pissed! I think that like most women, Wilma does not like to be ignored.

So today I measured and braced her tub back into some semblance of an early bronco body. She had bed sides that were 1/4 and 3/4 inch out of plumb, the front door posts and fire wall were leaning well back and had to be pushed forward almost an inch. But now, with the help of a few strategicly placed peices of steel, she is fairly plumb and square.

I have also learned that I will need to do some very serious rust repairs, some I was well aware of, some, I had hoped wouldn't be needed. I have to replace both driver and passenger floors, patch a hole under the seat pan on the passenger side, replace both sides of the front door posts and the rear striker posts on both sides. I am still not sure about the rockers. A previous attempt at restoration has replaced them both, but to call it shoddy workmanship is to give it to much credit. At least the drivers side seems to be pop riveted on, not welded so removal should not be to drastic.

So I ask those of you who have done all the above: What order do I attack he tasks ahead of me?

Of course, pictures tell the story best

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More pics

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

FYI,

The rear tailgate opening is square, and the posts should be plumb. But the posts at the rear (and front) of the door openings tip inward at the top about 1" from the floor to the bedrail. The bedrails should measure 56" +/- apart all the way down the truck. But the bottom of the rear door opening will measure 57"+/- across the floor.

A=56.25 B= 57.25.jpg

I think I'd door rear door posts first and work forward, setting the door posts & aligning the door to the quarters last.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next