[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Project "Wilma" 1971 Bronco
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Project "Wilma" 1971 Bronco 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Project "Wilma" 1971 Bronco
Looks great! Youre going to have one very cool rig when this is done.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My Harbor Freight grinder is still rocking like a champ 9 years after I bought it. I'm not a fan of cheap Chinese crap, but at the price I figured I would go through 3-4 of them before I started touching the purchase price of a "good" grinder. And as cheap as they are, I could have easily gotten 2 or even 3 and been happy.

Looking great! I'm super paranoid about penetration when it comes to the frame too. I had to do a patch job on the 66 body mount points back in the day. My Lincoln SP-125 didn't really seem to have issues. One thing I did was bevel the edges of the material I was putting in so I had a nice channel to fill with the weld.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Another side bar (sorry Greg) is I found a pretty good source for grinding wheels and metal working in general. www.heleta.com. Used to be bullet I think, but they had changed names just before I bought from them. Their grinding stuff holds up a lot better than what you get at Harbor Freight.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well finally had a whole Sunday with no work to be done on the boys trucks, so Wilma got some attention.

Drew helped me out by welding on the diamonds to reinforce where I already welded in the splice sections and sleeves yesterday. He did this while I cut off the spring buckets to move them out. The holes are for bolts and puddle welds - Taking no chances on the stretched frame.

We would have had it all done but the new welder I purchased came with faulty gauges so it is going back for an exchange (hence the use of flux core wire - no gas... dammit!).

Hopefully we can get this done tonight and I can get the springs and axles under the frame finally. I don't want to install them until I am done turning the frame over to weld.... Much easier to flip it over than to crawl on the floor and weld upside down.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I also ran out to return a "bearing mashing tool" to Kinder and we spotted this Subaru. Got a laugh out of what we saw riding in the back seat.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

looks great! are you going to run a stock /efi tank or something else? you know i was at the junk yard on saturday and saw a few large poly tanks laying around.. not sure they would fit.. but they are the longer ones like on pickups.. would be kind of cool to have a 40 gallon tank in there ;)

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have not even started planning on fuel storage yet.... But yes, I would love to have the extended range of a 40 gal fuel tank.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i guess exhaust would play a factor as well

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Greg's wife says he has plenty of exhaust, so no worries there.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great, Drew must have a good UV tan from not wearing sleeves.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Post Re: Project

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I get a UV tan from the fluorescents in my office. :laughing2:

Looking great on the build. I'm in agreement. Let's start planning your fuel supply soon, while you can actually see and imagine it all! icon biggin

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My first non-natural tan was courtesy of a plasma cutter. Couldn't figure out why my arms were burning. I called the guy who helped me and he started laughing. I was a fab newb then.

Yeah, 30-40 gallon tank would be awesome. With EFI that is quite a range. Worst part is the fuel is all at once!

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Some more progress on the frame last night.

Finished welding on the reinforcing plates over all the splice/stretch weld areas. All that is left there now is to drill a bunch of holes and install the through bolts - They are there just in case one of the welds breaks, the frame will stay together until I can limp her home and call in someone who knows how to weld better.
Then I moved the spring buckets out 2" to fit the full width D44. I did this by cutting off the stock bucket, welding a piece of 2 X 4 X 1/4" thick tube to the frame, then welding the bucket back in. The FW axle buckets are 3.5" wider than the stock EB buckets, I actually moved my buckets 4" overall (2" per side). I do not think the extra 1/4" per side will make any difference. I will box the tubes to keep the muck and gunk out of them.

I have a set of 78/79 bronco spring buckets, they are 2" deeper than the stock EB buckets. I debated using them but finally decided to stay with the stock ones so I would not need a longer spring to achieve the same lift front and rear.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Funny thing that word "Wilma," I saw it in my line of work today and though it was completely unrelated it made me smile b/c I thought of Broncos.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It has been a little while sine I have had any time to spend in my garage working on my project, but this weekend - she got more of my attention than anything else.

I finished welding up the frame, spring buckets and wire wheeled the whole thing. Then coated it with a good heavy coat of rust converter (used to be called naval jelly). Next I started on the axles. stripped the radius arms off the front as well as all the steering and track bar off the front. Got started with the wire wheel and scraper removing the 34 years of mud and gunk.

I am ready to coat the rear and should have just an hour or so until I am ready to coat the front. Then ton to painting the frame and axles.

Still need to finish drilling the frame bolt holes and through bolting.

Questions for the masses:

Does anyone have all the mounting hardware for the front coil springs (the upper stuff, I have the lower)
Radius arms - I have the stock 78/79 bronco arms. Can I use them or do I need EB arms? (I have the big bronco radius arm brackets as well it I need to bolt them up in place of the EB ones)

Picture time:
ImageImage

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You can run stock length, I did for about a year, but it will ride like crap, and cause a serious bind because the arms will be pushed so far out, I'd recommend building or buying extended arms, you can use EB or full size arms, they're exactly the same except the bolt spacing where the coil cup mounts, as for the upper retainer just run to the junkyard they should be the same for any halfton ford of the era, I think the 2wds are the same too

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not enough garage time this weekend. No good reason for it, just chose to spend most of it lounging around instead.

I did spend a few hours Sunday afternoon drilling 16 frigging 1/2" holes through 6 layers of steel (frame, 1/8" shim and 1/4" sleeve) with my heavy duty 1/2" drill. I probably sprained both wrists a hundred times each every time that bit caught cutting through all those layers... I then bolted up 8 of those holes. The remaining holes will be rosette welded. All this is just overkill. Just in case some part of my stretched frame decides to crack, hopefully the bolts will hold it together wile I limp home. The rosette welds are mostly because it is the only way I know for sure I have full penetration and I want to be sure.
Don did send me up the spring retainer clips and I picked up another set of radius arms so now I have no more excuses but to get the axles under her soon. Right now I am thinking next Sunday to mount them up.

Body work will probably not start until next spring. I need to get the drive train done this winter. I had a long conversation with my wife/CFO last night discussing things like Christmas budget, college for the boys, making house payments and purchasing parts for my build. Lets just say I will be doing all the side work I can for the next few years. Anyone need any glass work done, shower door? Window reglazed? How about a nice glass table top? Mirrors? Anyone?

Right now I am on the hunt for a power plant (351, 302, 300 I-6.... I don't frigging know, I figure I will just go with whichever presents itself first). Transmission (AOD or C4 if I do not find the AOD first). I have a transfer case but will need the adapter. Once I get the heavy parts I can get things like drive shafts etc. Suspension (the stuff I have now is just a mishmash of miscellaneous parts - I want a 3.5" SL and a 1" BL), steering column (hell I need all the steering parts - I do have a saginaw pump.

Picture time. Not all that exciting. Just some bolts and holes. No welds yet. Need to wait to weld in the garage until it is warm enough to work with the doors open.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I suppose time for a quick update:

Mostly collecting parts and pieces lately. Time has been rather limited since the holidays. I expected to loose Dec - Feb but this is absolutely unacceptable.

Wilma is buried under 3 months worth of crap - parts, coats, hats, parts for the boys stuff, bikes, dust and tools, boxes and rubble. But I have done a decent job of gathering parts - some immediate stuff and some for down the road.

Of course there is the complete 4.9L engine that I picked up last weekend (there is a thread here on that adventure in the chit-chat section). viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5129
I have also sourced an AOD automatic trans that I will need to convert for 4X4. I need a T-case still and adapter. I am sure I will need a bell housing as well.
I have springs (both coil and leafs) from various folks - none are final but will be used for mock up until I get ready for a real lift.
I have rear flares
I have a power window kit
I have a trans cross member (or 2 or 3)
I have primer and paint for the frame
Trac-loc for the D44
Saganaw PS pump and brackets (dont know if the brackets will fit the 4.9 or not). I am thinking I want the saganaw pump for the planed hydro boost brakes.
Saddle tank and 2 fuel filter / pumps from the same truck I pulled the engine from.

So my immediate plans are:
Get the engine on the stand so I can move it around some, clean it up and see what I really have / need....
#1 Get the HP-D44 put together from the two I have including new seals and U-joints. Maybe even brakes on both front and rear.
#2 paint the axles and frame
#3 Get both axles mounted under the frame so I can actually roll it around
#4 Start mocking up the drive train. All the while searching for the parts I still need including bell housing, T-case and adapter. (Folks - I am open to suggestions here.... lets hear them)

Also I need to start looking for steering stuff including a 4X4X2 box and looking into fuel storage. I am going to see if I can find a larger tank in a PNP that will fit. There is about 23" between the rails. I can fabricate some sort of mounting system. I understand that the Bronco II's had a tank that may fit.... Speaking of steering. I want to find a tilt column I can use as well. I do not mind the key on the column but want one that I can still put a retro steering wheel (like a grant or something) on.

So for all you PNP guys - keep an eye open for that 4X4X2 box, steering column and if anyone has any ideas regarding a T-case - be sure to let me know.

Last edited by hockeydad4-22 on Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you do new brakes for the d44, put 78? Tbird calipers on. They have a huge single piston, compared to the Bronco/F150 calipers. They fit right on the stock caliper hangers, but you have to do a little grinding to some calipers to get the hose/banjo bolts to fit. You will need a special set of hoses (BCB sells them).
H-Boosted brakes tend to have too much rear brake bias, and the big tbird ccalipers help pull the bias back to the front, without an adjustable prop valve.
Regardless, with Wilma's extra weight, it couldn't hurt.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Also, I was just reading that old econoline vans have good tilt columns for swaps. 78/79 Bronco/150s have key on dash with tilt columns, but are shorter than early Broncos. I have a 78/79 column I plan on installing, it will be close, if the 78/79 lower shaft will reach the steering gear.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I put a f150 tilt in Willem's bronco, it is a bit shorter but is manageable if you have have arms as long as a gorilla, which he does.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well - after about a 4 month rest - Wilma finally got some work done on her this weekend. Yeah - I have been collect parts and pieces, but had not done a single moments work on her since before Christmas.

So this weekend, I finally started hanging the axles underneath her frame. I got the rear all in - but I still need to mount the front. Drew and I did build the front axle, but by the time that was done Sunday evening - it was way to late to start installing it. Anyway - now I have a pair of full width axles, HPD44 front and 9" rear both with 4:10 gears. Rear is locked and the front will be (have the track lock, just do not know how to install it so I suspect a tech day is in the works...)

No - those are not the final springs - just mock up stuff. When I decide on a lift kit - I will replace them. Kinda waiting for a super sale somewhere, or someone who is upgrading theirs...

BTW - let me tell you - Ford could have done a better job designing the caliper mounting for these 79 bronco / F150 HP front D-44 axles. What a pain in the ass...

Tonight - install the front - then get started installing engine/trans/t-case (still looking for t-case by the way)

Special note - anyone interested in a good HP-D44 housing including knuckles? 3:52 gears.. No shafts or brakes. Make a an offer. Seriously - doesn't even have to be a good one. Just make me an offer.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

About time! No seriously I'm glad you finally found some time. It's near rolling around then? Does this mean that Drew & Frankie will be conducting a giant skateboard type stunt run down the hill?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, closer to being a roller...

How come nobody told me how big a PITA it is to install radius arms (heck - I am probably doing it wrong anyway).

I have the radius arms installed - obviously temporarily as I am going to need new bushings at least. No springs as of yet. Hopefully tonight. ... But I did have some pretty good company in the garage last night.

Adding to the list of extra items for sale/trade:
Radius arm brackets (from 79 bronco)
HP - Full Width D44

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

An extra set of *hands* is keys. Paws may be good company, but not so good for front axle installation.

What's you have trouble with?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Really - not to much trouble, other than what you said, could have used a more helpful helper last night. Mostly just getting and keeping the axle lined up to fit into the bushings that I am almost certain will need to be replaced down the road anyway (7 degree bushing currently).

Of course all this work is really just for "mock up" anyway. I need to get the tub on the frame so I can figure out if I need to install a body lift or not, that will determine the amount of suspension lift, before I can do that, I need to get the engine, trans and t-case mounted and I still need to find a 205 case and adapter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There was a 205 in a yard up north a while back, road trip to pull it? May even find the rest of your AOD setup.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next