[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - New to me '77 Sport
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 New to me '77 Sport 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: New to me '77 Sport
So I'm thinking of possibly going a different direction on the bronco. Has anyone been around the 4BT Cummins swapped EB's? I found what I want with the P pump for $4k I'm thinking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUMMINS-4BT-3-9 ... 1y&vxp=mtr
In my research they are a 5.9L Cummins minus two pistons. They are said to be reliable, but noisy. I have a diesel pickup, so not sure how much worse it will be. The 130 HP has about 327 ft lb of torque according to 4BTSwaps.com. Is the 4R70W strong enough to handle the torque & HP in an EB application? I like the "Hook up 2 wires to make it run" feature & well.......it's diesel!!!! icon biggin

Also the motor weighs around 700 lbs where a fully dressed 351W EFI (My other direction) is probably around 550-600 lbs. w/ 210 hp & 315 ft/lb

I'm thinking less wiring, already injected, has serpentine are BIG plus, but I will have to do a body lift or add a hood scoop to make it fit.

Any thoughts? Pros, Cons & personal experiences would be appreciated.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Kinder's BSD build should answer most of your questions. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5186

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll dig into it. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post New to me '77 Sport
It's loud. Very loud. Headset loud. But don't let that stop you!

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I do believe it's a little louder than your average 1st gen 6BT. But there is a lot of sound deadening in those trucks, that you may not have in your bronco. I've been around one in Denver and LOVED it! I never got a ride, but I was near it plenty when it was running. I don't believe he's been active in the Bronco community for a long time, but search cb.com for user Miley and you might dig up some of his info.

I remember him backing his bronco into his driveway at idle. I think he was on 35's. Anyway, front tires caught on the curb and instead of the engine dying, the rear tires just started spinning and barking on the concrete! That's torque baby!

I do believe that the 4BT is the easiest to drop in, but I also believe there are other diesel engines out there that might be less noisy.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can hear Kirk's coming a couple of blocks away. It's loud (but awesome). I'm holding out for a VM Motori out of the new grand Cherokees or the new Cummins from the Titans to start hitting yards. Ecoboost is another worthy option.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post New to me '77 Sport
I suppose I should chime in here eventually. Yes it's loud, but mine is louder in the cab then it should be, I have zero sound dampening and I still have holes in my firewall and front floorboards. I plan to address this now that the weather is getting warmer by adding sound dampening products to all of the front sheet metal including the doors. That's it for the down side to this swap for me. The upside is great gas milage (20+ no matter how it's loaded), simple engine management with mechanical injection, very reliable since I've made no mods (it's been my DD since Willem took my truck to school in Aug of last year).

Be very careful about sourcing an engine from anywhere you can't lay your hands on. Most of the engines on the market now are from the Hostess bankruptcy and I'll guess are pretty high mileage. Anything that attaches to the motor that isn't included in the sale will run you a bit of money as most of the bolts, brackets and adapters are Cummins only parts.

I don't believe a 4r70w will survive behind one of these engines, you'd be better off with a auto that was designed to live behind it, and has all the correct hardware to make the connection. There are multiple transmission adapter sets; SAE (2&3), Dodge, Chevy, Ford and even Eaton. But I've never seen a Ford small block automatic setup behind this motor, so you'd have to fab the stuff that was never created.

I love my setup, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So my questions are.......is there a way to quiet it down a little. The new 6.7L powerstroke makes the duramax seem loud. & where do you find a good motor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dynomat or other similar products on the interior, and there are some spray-on products for the underside as well.

While outside of it, you won't be able to hold a conversation near a 4BT without shouting. This can be frustrating if you wheel hard enough to require a spotter.

But it's still an awesome diesel!

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3