[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 69 Dudes-- Just the beginning
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 69 Dudes-- Just the beginning 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 69 Dudes-- Just the beginning
I have a Hobart handler 140. I love it.

It can weld up to 1/4" thick material with no issues. I am stretching my frame and tub. Stretching the frame includes welding the heavy 3/16" thick frame, 1/8" plate and 3/16 steel tube. That is 1/2" overall. By doing some beveling, pre heating and multiple passes, it is easy to be sure you are penetrating the full thickness of all the steel. I am also rosette (puddle) welding the frame and through bolting everything. This by far is the heaviest fabrication you would ever be doing on a bronco project. Roll cages are generally 1/8" thick, bumpers are generally 3/16 - 1/4" thick.

That said, if I had more power to my garage, I would have gone with a heavier welder. Just because you get a better duty cycle and more options... The cost to add a 20A circuit to my garage would cut deeply into my shallow project fund right now so I am staying with the smaller welder.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Greg - I think the heaviest welding one might do is some heavy DOM suspension links, but that is fairly rare, so most of the time, a 110v machine will work. That's why I own one and not have 220v in the garage also made me hold off on a larger machine.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok thanks. It sounds like almost everyone has plenty of what they need in the 110V machines. I don't anticipate doing much more than sheet metal work and some occasional roll bar and frame work so I am thinking the 140 it is and I can spend money on other much needed attention areas! Thanks everyone for weighing in.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Finally got all of the rusty screws and bolts loose and I now have an official project in my garage. Next up, replace and patch rusty sheet metal.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice! Those bolts connecting the grill and fender are usually a bitch. How does the passenger side look?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The impact wrench took em right out. The passenger side so far doesn't look too bad but I haven't wire wheeled it to make sure yet.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got a little more rust removed this weekend. Guessing the next step is going to be a little bit tedious with measurements and cutting....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Was able to get the new door post, kicker panel, and driver floor all measured and screwed in. Ended up having to jack the windshield/dash up about a 1/2 inch in order to get the door to align correctly but was able to get that all done at lunch today. Definitely excited to have it all in and ready for some :Welding:

I think this was by far the most difficult task I had on my list so far to get done so once this is all done, I can move on to the other projects on my list, all of which I have the parts for already (Power Steering, Front Roll Cage, 23 gallon gas tank). Then I can start thinking re-finishing work on the interior and ultimately paint!!

fire fire

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nothing beats fresh sheet metal, nice.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great, you're moving along!

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, when can I drop mine off? icon biggin

Looking good. All of you guys knocking out body panel replacement keep making me feel like a heel for selling my '66.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I got almost ALL of the metal patch work done today. I am just about done with all of the welding I need to do and am getting close to moving forward with the rebuild. This is where I need some opinions and advice.

I plan to treat the interior with a herculiner type product, put in new seats, replace the wiring, install power steering, paint the dash and the exterior the same color, paint the engine bay and inner fenders. The tub has a lot of PO holes in it, so my first plan was to buy the seats and figure out where the mounts go so that I can patch all extra holes. I also plan to strip/sand all surface rust to prep it for liner and paint.

BUT, after that I am not sure what makes sense to do in what order. With what I am trying to accomplish, I would love advice as to what I should do in what order.

THANKS!!

-Skip

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Seats should be able to go in the threaded factory holes if you buy something with correct brackets. What all is left on the list?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Duh, not sure how that didn't register. I'd:

1. patch all extra holes
2. strip/sand all surface rust to prep it for liner and paint
3. treat the interior with a herculiner type product and paint the engine bay and inner fenders-order doesn't matter, could potentially be done with the same product
4. paint the dash and the exterior the same color
5. install firewall insulation and floor insulation, if desired
6. replace the wiring
7. install power steering
8. buy the seats and figure out where the mounts go-this could really go anywhere, but you don't have a ton of space to store them while you're doing the rest. You can look at any Bronco with stock seat mounts to figure out where they need to go. The seat mounts and seat belt holes are pretty much the only ones that a bolt can thread into.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys. Justin.. the reason I thought I would buy the seats is so that I could figure out where the holes go. The Bronco had aftermarket seats in it and there are more holes in it than necessary. I can always keep the new seats in the spare bedroom until they are truly ready for final install.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I dunno. You should make a bracket for them and use them in your living room.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sprayed the engine bay, inner fenders, wheel wells, underside of the hood, and tub with Raptor Liner today. It is amazing how pretty the thing looks now. Can't even see all of my "progression" of learning how to weld! Next step is to make rock skis and then figure out paint. I also purchased the seats... Besttop Trailmax II Pro Recliner front seats (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior-Par ... ST39461-15) And the rear fold and tumble to match (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior-Par ... ST39435-15)

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More Pics

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A few more pics. We also did my Dad's truck bed. Turned out great. I used microbeads in mine and it definitely added more texture.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That looks great, nicely done!

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks really nice, awesome progress!

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great. What would you estimate the cost at?

The Terrible One

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

To answer the liner question. I Have bought two complete sets of Raptor Liner plus the gun, the microbeads, and a couple cans of primer. Through Amazon.com, I have spent a total of around $275 shipped on everything. This covered the tub, engine bay and inner fender area, underside of hood, wheel wells, and I intend to touch up a couple areas as well as spray the inside of my hard top with it as well. I expect I will still have a minumum of 2 of the 4 bottles left for touch-ups down the road.

As for Hockedad's sage advice... I am with you! I had NO intention in answering the cost question if it meant totalling the entire build. I have gotten that question a lot from "friends/Bronco outsiders." I have a ballpark figure in my head that I have no idea how close I am to that actual number. I have also spent probably just as much if not more money (I think it has been more) on tools like a Lincoln 140, 90 gallon air compressor, tank of welding gas, gammit of pnematic tools, heavy jack, just to name the obvious ones. And at the end of the day--- I DON'T CARE! I have had fun doing it and I just tell myself I am collecting tools and knowledge so the next one will be cheaper to do and probably come out better!

Party on!

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hit the swap meet this morning and picked up a steering column and lower steering shaft to put me very close to being ready to make the transition to power steering.

I skipped breakfast to get home to start working on the rocker skis. A little challenging to do it all by myself but I think I score at least an 8 for creativity in getting er done. Getting very close to having it ready for paint now. Just need to cut the fenders for the new Gorilla Flares and then start sanding pieces.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That looks great, nicely done! Are you happy with the 2x5?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next