[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 69 Dudes-- Just the beginning
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 69 Dudes-- Just the beginning 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 69 Dudes-- Just the beginning

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Finally got all the parts to mount up my fire extinguisher.

ImageImage

Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet! Doesn't get more accessible than that. What extinguisher did you end up buying?

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Went up to Chinns Lake for the day yesterday. Really easy trail but man is it jarring. Very rocky and it has me thinking of what I can do to soften the ride a little bit. Not exactly comfortable for myself, but especially everyone else including the dogs.

Good news was I made it up and back without any mechanical "incidents". Might be a first for me and hopefully I've turned the corner I've anticipated for almost 3 years.

Some pics from the trip...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What shocks are you running, or planning to run with your Lars Bars? The Lars Bars will help mellow out the ride. Also , did you air down your tires? I make a run to Wheeler Gelogical sometimes, its 13 miles of bumpy road, each way, airing down made a world of difference.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2 on airing down if you didn't. What springs and shocks are you running?

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm not really sure what the springs are or the rear shocks. Front shocks are Rancho RS5000. FYI- the springs were originally red if that helps in identifying.

I didn't air down and that's a great suggestion. I currently don't have an air-up solution but will as soon as I go ARB. I haven't put much thought or research to moving to anything different when I switch axles and ad Lars Bars. Open to suggestions.

ImageImage

Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

High quality shocks front and rear. With the Lars Bars you will have more front travel available, and if you want to relocate the upper shock mount you could really maximize the available travel. Bilstein 7100 (external reservoir)& 5100 seem to be very highly recommended. I did 7100 in front & 5100 in rear, different lengths & valving can be ordered depending on your rig/preferences. Perfect time to swap is when you do the Lars Bars.

Your front springs are probably Rancho?, not known as a soft spring. New front springs, WH or Deaver from Jeff's.

Rear springs look like old 6 leaf packs. I'd switch them (I had a set for 15 years). Again, WH or Jeffs, or BCBs too.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Basically, tear it all apart, and start over. You can talk to the voices in my head, when I'm not. I think they are the same voices in Justin's head.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Chad. I like that you had a second post that was basically, "on second thought, tear it all down and start over. Everybody's doing it." I probably need to start game planning as this adds a little more complexity to the situation. 2 axle swaps, Lars bars, new shocks and springs, new ZF5, new transfer case all this fall/winter.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dude, the voices are so, so real. I suspect you've got Rancho coils up front as well. That's what were on my truck when I got it, and a swap to a used set of Duff progressives made a huge difference. Some 11 leaf springs in the rear will help as well. I've got a set of 5 or 6 leaf Softride springs in the rear of mine and they actually ride pretty well, but the 11 leafs are supposed to be better. Mine'll be up for sale at some point when I link my rig. The other thing I'd consider (that has been mentioned) is a new set of shocks. I'll second Chad's vote for Bilstein 5100 or 7100s. The 5100s are a great way to get a very good shock for a reasonable price. The 7100s are awesome if you want to be able to tune them or decide you want reservoirs. To run either you'll need different shock mounts, but the older F-250 mounts are very good and really cheap (I think $30 each?). http://classicbroncos.com/f250shockmounts.shtml They're also 4.5" longer, and will give you as much travel as you'll use running any trail on the front range.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How about $18 each, free shipping. Ask me how I know!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-E5TZ18183A ... c3&vxp=mtr

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet, even better! Oh, and air down, it makes a massive difference and it won't hurt anything to drive a short distance to a gas station to air up. Just don't take any fast corners.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Airing down will definitely help.

Judging by the photo, the coil springs look older and thick, which would lead me to believe they are fairly stiff on a lighter rig like your. Also, my experience with Rancho RS5000's is that they work fine at low speeds, but any high velocity movements are jarring due to their linear valving.

I would start by figuring out what the front coil rate is (it could be done in about 30 minutes with careful measuring) and adjust if necessary. Then buy some good shocks like Bilsteins.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice pics! Yeah, that ride is rough up there!

As with others, airing down will make a huge difference on the trail. I'd go down to about 12 for starters and see where that puts you. Looks like you have real beadlocks, so you're safe to go down to about 6 with those.

But just find the nearest air pump on the way out and keep speeds low!

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ran Kingston Peak today. Started in Rollinsville and ended up coming out at Alice. Not a tough trail at all but man does it have some great views and some serious elevation gain!! We stopped at James Peak Trail and hiked to Little Echo Lake to do some fishing. Once again, some serious elevation changes on that hike. We were the only ones fishing the lake and caught about 9-10 trout (all pretty small but fun on a backpacking rod and reel).

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Bought new leaf springs, coil springs and rear Bilstein 5100 shocks today from WH. Was on the phone with Paul for probably an hour figuring things out. What great customer service! Anyways, still waiting to purchase the front Bilstein 5100 shocks because we weren't real sure which ones to go with to maximize travel using what I am planning to go with.

I will have 3.5" lift, extended radius arms, F250 shock towers. Anyone by chance have an idea of which front shocks to go with or even better, running a similar setup?

For guys using the F250 shock towers, did you mount them in the same location as the stock towers?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The F250 towers are usually done as a direct swap for the stock ones. For the fronts shocks, I'd get it all assembled then run the suspension through its travel. You can also measure how much room you have between the upper and lower eyes currently, add a couple of inches for the taller towers, and then figure from there. My guess is that you'll need a 10" regular shock or a 12" short body 7100. Shoot for roughly 40% uptravel and 60% droop.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin is right. The best way is to get everything set up, including bumpstops. Pull the coils and cycle the suspension and measure. It's worth waiting to buy the right ones, don't get a set then try to fit them.

I went with 14" 7100's, in front, but had to do a lot to get them to fit (moved uppers through the inner fenders, and lowers down on my Bloody Knuckle arms). I have around a 3.5" lift, but am running a 5.5" coil, so with the long arms I have lots of axle drop available.

I'm changing my uppers now. I'm doing the F250 towers, but will be spacing them out & up to fit.

Digger's thread has pics of a nice, simple way to get a little extra height out of an F250 shock mount.

I'd do what you can to get as long a shock as you can use.

I forget, do you have a body lift? It will get you a little extra room to get a taller shock.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Bronco making its tailgating debut today!

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very nice! I know that spot well. Go Buffs! Hopefully they can start to right the ship today.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Installed the new LED headlights today. I think I still need to do a little tweaking of the angle as I'm getting a little bit of VV spots. They are definitely a big improvement. The head on look you can really tell how much of the driveway is lit up.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:36 pm

looks good.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

X2. That's a big difference. Rob, thanks for coordinating this. I might need to order some if he does another group buy.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:41 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I went out to try to figure out my ZF clutch master cylinder rod to pedal situation and got a little carried away...

No more Dana 30!

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next