[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Project X
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Project X 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Project X
So, yeah, I bought another Bronco. Well, kind of a Bronco. It's a body, a frame, most of the wiring, some steering stuff, some brake stuff, and a butt load of exoskeleton. For now, this will be called Project X. X is either for the 5 tons of exoskeleton on the truck. Or maybe because the purchase and build will lead to my having an ex-wife. We'll see. Here's a couple of pics from the ad that lead me to it.

The truck formerly rode on Rockwell 2.5 ton axles, was powered by a 351W with an Edelbrock EFI system, and had a C6 with Atlas behind it. Leaf spring ellipticals served as the suspension with nearly every piece of the stock suspension hardware removed from the frame.

Right now, the plan is for this to be a 100% budget minded build. If I can't get it for free, trade for it with other parts, or pull it from the junk yard, well, it doesn't go in the Bronco.

Immediate plans are to move it to Penrose where my friend graciously allows me to keep all the things that don't fit in my garage/would lead to my living in a studio apartment. After that, focus will be on hanging some suspension off the rear, procuring a rear axle, then moving my way forward.

Currently, I am thinking: 1970's Ford 3/4-1ton axles, small block Ford engine, maybe a ZF 5 speed, NP 205 transfer. But I dunno. All depends on what pops up on the market and how much it is!

Ultimately this will be my trail beater so emphasis will lie heavily on functionality over form, but with cost also at the forefront.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Project X
Just run a t-18 or np435, no reason for a ZF in a trail truck and the 4speeds are dirt cheap

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a NP 205 I'm looking to sell. I'm in the middle of my build so depending on what you have I'm up for a trade.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That rig looks familiar...but I can't place it.

Rear Axle, you can't beat a 14B for toughness and cost. Front gets a bit trickier. And with all the weight of an exo, you'll want a wide track and flexy suspension to keep it stable on the trails. I don't have much experience with 1/4 ellip stuff. With it being a heavy pig, seems natural to go with a 4BT setup :), but a 351 EFI would work too, or if you can't fathom the cost of EFI - maybe look into propane, that way you're not fighting a carb.

Can't wait to see updated pics of what exactly you have now. Do you have any picture of it on a trail before the tear-down?

I have a friend in Penrose who bought my old wrecked blue bronco. He said he was going to give me the spring rockers when he took them off. That was, uh 7-8 yrs ago. So if you see those...LOL!

J.D.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tonight I moved Project X to Area 51. If you ever want a challenge in mechanical engineering, move a Bronco that has no driveline and Bronco leafs springs installed as elliptical suspension.

To get it on the trailer, we used an engine hoist front and rear and ratchet straps to pull it on. No pics of that.

To get it off, well, we got creative again. Engine hoists to get the front off the trailer. Jack stands kept the front end in place, then the hoists were used to elevate the rear and the trailer was driven out from under it.

Moving it to the corner of the shop was as "simple" as lowering the hoists and pushing the giant, exoskeleton'd pendulum across the floor.

And here it rests.

And so it sits, waiting for top men to start their work on it. What men, you ask. TOP MEN. (A little Raiders of the Lost Ark for you.)

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ha those quarter elliptical springs make it look like some kind of spider/bug bronco!

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

LOL, I was thinking the same. They're still pretty stout. On the trailer they actually kept the Bronco close to a foot off the bed of the trailer.

The Terrible One

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It'd be fun to hook up some servos and make it walk on the springs.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You need to weigh the exo when / if you remove it, we could have a raffle for who guesses the weight.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Kinda like the "guess how many jelly beans in the jar"?

I'm guessing at least 50lbs in welds alone.

The Terrible One

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Could just trim and section the Exo and make a pretty decent family cage I would think.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What are the specs of the exo steel? I may want to steal some for projects!

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have to take some measurements next time I am down there. Will let you know.

The Terrible One

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't think sectioning a cage is a good idea. You can sleeve a joint as required, then use plug welds along with your butt weld, but the geometry of this cage won't allow you to put it back together. But safety wise, much safer to do without a joint if at all possible.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awww, c'mon. Can't you just let me build a death trap? Where's all the fun?

The Terrible One

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Don't worry JD I won't let him lol

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Quick question for you welding types. What's the best set up to reattach leaf spring hangers to this thing. I don't think my Lincoln 125 is up to the task. Was thinking 220 stick?

The Terrible One

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd use a big MIG with gas. Stick will work, but its a different technique that has a learning curve and this is safety related. MIG will look nicer, but you already know that.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

220 mig!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Okay. Obviously time for me to find someone with a 220 MIG set up near COS. But first, I need to head to the yard and cut me some spring hangers.

The Terrible One

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You'd need the work done in Penrose right? 220v MIG's w/gas are not real portable.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry - I just sold my 220 stick welder - and it was real portable, even generated its own power. I do have access to another if it comes down to it.... of course penrose is not exactly "round the corner" now is it?

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, Project X has got some new legs. 8 lug, HP D44 front and a Dana 60 rear, 4.10 gears.

Big thanks the Kinder for picking these up for me. Now that I HAVE them, time to get to the yard and source some spring hangers. And, of course, find me some wheels so I can roll things around.

The Terrible One

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't think you've been on a wheeling trip when my cousin came along, but that is the exact setup he runs in his green XJ.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nuts to Project X, I want to play with that Torchmate.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Haha. No. I haven't. Big reason for me getting these was price and end goal. I really want to run H1 wheels and 16.5 tires (even though everyone tells me that's stupid, or whatever). The ability to bust a wheel, rip a tire off, slap another one on, and be back on the road is appealing. Plus not having to carry an actual spare wheel is a bonus too. And I just like the look of the 24 bolt H1s. I know they are a bitch to balance and all, but this thing is just an ugly ass trail truck.

My first shipment of 16.5 tires will act as my rollers for now. If you recall, they all showed up with impact punctures or sidewall tears in them. Not exactly suitable for putting on the Super Duty. But just right for rolling things around and mocking stuff up.

Going to see about having some spring perches made up for the 60 as the leafs will be coming in about 5" on each side. Rather build them than buy them, so I'll see what I can nug out before I drop coin. The front will likely get radius arms and coils like stock. Easy enough to source those. The tempation is there to leaf it too, but I don't know that I want to do a whole lot of R&D.

The Terrible One

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next