[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Black Smoke Donkey
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Black Smoke Donkey 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Black Smoke Donkey
So it begins... I pulled my Bronco into the garage today, it entered as a gasser and will exit as a diesel. The major pieces are in my garage right now; frame extension pieces, 4BT, ZF5, 203 reduction box, 205 transfer case, doubler adapter is on order from Jed's Machining. The remainder of the major mods will reuse existing parts that I own, like the junk doors that needed too much work to go on Willem's Bronco.

When I pull it out of the garage I'm hoping for a rig that will get 20+ mpg, go down the freeway at 70+ mph, enable my camper to fit inside the body (not use the tailgate as the floor) and it will likely have 4 doors (the rears will be 2/3 the size of an original door and open suicide style), but that may wait for stage 2. It may be rolling on 37s if my gearing calculator is right, that should enable me to cruise 75 mph at 1800 rpm. I expect a noise increase but I'm not going to straight pipe it or turn the IP up so high that I'm pushing 500 ft/lb of torque. I heard the engine run before I tore it out of the donor and it was one of the quietest 4BTs that I've heard.

In addition to a heart and lung transplant it will also have a new to me body that I've had put aside, a '68 tub with no rust.

One item that will be worked out as I go is the top. I've seen what others have done when they extend their Broncos so I'll use that as inspiration and build on that with some of my personal ideas.

Finally I need to work out a new name, I've always called it the Dirty Donkey, so now what do I call it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Black Smoke Donkey
How much are you gonna streach the roof?I might have a idea.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Somewhere between 12 - 24 inches.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

D3 (Dirty Diesel Donkey).

I assume the current body will be used for donor chunks for the stretch?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Glad to see you've started, you'll surely beat me to getting mine done :(

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Progress! I tell you what, after you show your son how to assemble a Bronco he has no problem disassembling one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is going to be awesome. Driving the tdi around has me thinking again about a 4bt again as well.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Damn. You're not wasting any time! I bet your neighbors were thinking "it's finally over" when they saw Smurfette moving under it's own power. And then you rolled D3 in the garage and they just sighed.

Take care with those body panels. I want to keep that patina on it when I'm rolling in my black Bronco. ;)

The Terrible One

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm happy I'll have big trees. And neighbors in their 70's. Once the hearing aids get taken out, it's grinder time.

The Terrible One

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No kidding on moving fast! That is awesome!

Can't wait to see black smoke :)!

Matt

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah baby!! Very excited for you! Your 4BT going to be boosted? Stacks? LOL!

This is why I'll need three broncos.

Trail rig - check
Stocker/cruiser - ____
Diesel Cruiser - ____

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 am

So this must be why I saw your Bronco over at upullandpay a couple fridays ago haha. Good luck! Sounds like an awesome project.

Was that your tub I saw on a trailer at work a while back? Had Arizona stickers on it and was super clean...

'93 Ranger - Classic Bronco at heart - Cammed 5.0, Cobra topend, AOD w/ Shift kit. D20 w/ Twin Sticks. D44 Bronco front, 4:56's, Trac-lok, Chevy disks. '66 Bronco 9", 4:56's, Lock-right. 3.5" JD coils. 8" total lift on 35" MTR Kevlars

Wed May 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was digging around for parts, I've been there way too much lately.

The tub on the trailer was Willem's tub, you can see the finished product here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4027

It turned out nice and since it's out of my garage I'm able to tear into mine.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Made some good progress this afternoon, even had a little help. 1st time I've pulled a tub by myself and it worked out surprisingly well, I guess I've learned some good techniques during previous events.

Thu May 02, 2013 9:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Holy smokes, you're getting things done!

Thu May 02, 2013 11:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Its all nakid!

Let me know when you are starting your stretch. I will come over and help cut, weld and grind.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Pulling drivetrain this afternoon, so if you have some time this weekend, yeah funny I know, I'd love some help.

Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri May 03, 2013 6:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What time are you getting started tomorrow? I should be able to help out in the AM.

Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd like to start early but I think the neighbors would prefer later, how about 830?

Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have hockey in the am - I can come over after, mid morning - 10ish.... I think. I may have to deliver a desk top to a client instead. If that happens then this weekend will suck for me.

I will let you know in the am.

Fri May 03, 2013 4:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool, my early filled up so 10'ish would work, let me know if you can make it.

Fri May 03, 2013 6:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

not looking promising right now....Drews is acting up. starter sheared off all its teeth and trans will not engage. or that is what I am told. Drew went to movies so I have not talked to him yet. havent looked at it yet either. prob jump into it tomorrow instead of hockey and have to deliver that desk top in the am too.

Got to figure out why this thing is eating starters at least.

ugh

Fri May 03, 2013 8:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just happen to have a few spare items you may want; bell housing, flex plate, bell housing plate, starter, etc.

Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Had a good afternoon, Willem got out of school early and my buddy Dave who loves 1 ton truck stuff stopped by. We were able to pull the drivetrain and get the body prepped for delivery. Now I just need to do a bit of clean up on the parts that I'm going to reuse and pick the spot on the frame to cut. I'm going to be restricted on the spot due to the Duff long arms I have, they mount up in the prime flat section. I may end up using the bolts (they are also welded) that bolt them on and integrate that into the extension.

Finally the man in brown rolled up before I shut the garage down and delivered my 203/205 adapter plate from Jed's Machining, it looks real nice. Tomorrow I think I'll pull out all the new to me drivetrain and mock it up to check the length.

Fri May 03, 2013 9:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

well I am going to drag the little turd outa bed early (ok, probably like 9ish) and see what I can figure out. I will let you know. Might make it over for the rest of the morning any way

And we will take all the goodies you wanna give up (I will try to remember to bring that heavy gage cord for you too)

Fri May 03, 2013 10:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Lined up all the drivetrain parts today, lengths are as follows.

Engine 27" (+5" for clutch fan)
Trans 29"
NP203 6"
Dbl'r plate 3"
NP205 12" (measured to the u joint cap center for the rear driveshaft)

So the total is 82", if I run electric fans I could subtract 2-3". I need to measure the old set up for comparison.

I plan on setting the whole thing back into the frame as far as possible to get the weight off the frt axle, plus I'll likely cut into my firewall and add a body lift to get the fit right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367705533.408702.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367706368.208079.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367706379.169408.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367706391.028532.jpg

Sat May 04, 2013 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 587 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next