[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Digger's '69 Build Thread
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Digger's '69 Build Thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: New Member 69
Thanks for the tip on the 200 amp relay, I like my truck to stay unmelted.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

http://www.dieselorings.com/1994-1998-f ... relay.html

A few bucks cheaper, anyways.

I'll be getting an extra for the Bronco's winch when I have to get one for the F250. Thanks for the good idea.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Time seems to slow down when I'm working on the switch panel (I'm at about 50 hours invested now), but I'm trying to cover every little detail so it works flawlessly and continues to do so over time.

I finished all the drilling, tapping and o-ring sealing of the relay box:
by , on Flickr

Mounted the relay board on a plastic back plane and isolated it with little rubber O-rings
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

I had to invert the Comm board, Control board and Power supply and mount them to the lid, but you can see it forms a tight nesting of the components
by , on Flickr

I tested the signal from the switch panel before proceeding any further

With that working, I wired up the relay control board to the relays and hooked up power (red and white wires) and signal (blue and red striped wires)
by , on Flickr

First test run was a success. Now I can get WeatherPack plugs on it and get it in the truck!!!

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is amazing!! What is front heavy on engineering and design amounts to something that is very simple to the end user! I love it!

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Small Update:

I wired the relay outputs on the accessory board and added WeatherPack connectors for plugging into the vehicle harness later.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Completely done!!
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Next I needed to fabricate a tray to hold two Optima batteries where the old battery tray was. I think God was smiling on me that day, because I had a 304 stainless steel lid from a box that was nearly perfect dimensions. I only had to shorten one side and notch some holes to make it fit. This was a serious shoehorn job to keep the batteries low in the engine compartment.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

The tray needed to sit about 0.5" higher than the old one to clear the inner fender. At first I had some plastic spacers, but I decided to try my hand at metal forming using my press and some homemade tools. The results look half-way professional.
by , on Flickr

Here you can see how the notches help the routing of the headlamp and turn indicator wiring.
by , on Flickr

I re-worked the wire loom and routed the wires to sit in the saddle of the battery tray supports. This gives them about 1" of total room between the bottom of the tray and the supports.
by , on Flickr

All bolted in and wiring routing shown coming up from the back corner.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A big part of re-working the wiring harness was adding a proper, modern power distribution block to house the MAXI fuses and relays. When I pulled the box from my Ranger, I left the mount behind because it was welded to the body structure. SO, I had to fabricate some new brackets.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

I took a moment to document the disaster my garage has become. shrug
by , on Flickr

Then back to work mounting the distribution box.
by , on Flickr

Next I drilled holes and installed RivNuts to mount the accessory relay box on the driver's side inner fender.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

To keep the box watertight, I added O-rings to the stainless mounting screws and RTV'd the RivNuts for good measure.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I repeated the process to mount the dual 200 amps relays that will handle battery combine function and provide power to the Anderson connector for the winch.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Lastly I could not find a good place to mount the connection box for the VHX gauges. I settled for a spot under the steering column that keeps it clear of the gauge cluster, ignition switch and my accessory switch panel. But this required another bracket to be fabricated.
by , on Flickr

Mounted up with some serious 3M double-sided tape. This is the same stuff the OE's use to attach badges to the exterior of new cars.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

A couple of holes later and it's in its new home.
by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OMG!!! I hate you!!! boxing

I just installed an 8 prong turn signal and it took me 10 days to figure out which 2 wires were criss crossed!!! CRAAAAAAP!!!

JK Obviously! Your Bronco and Electrical knowledge and real life actual application has me drooling with envy!!!! drool

Keep the pics and the explanations coming!!! (feel free to dumb it down for me;)

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome to the club. Very Nice rig

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More incredible work!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:29 am
VENDOR
VENDOR

Awesome build!

I can't wait to see what you end up doing with Mega Squirt. It sure has come along way since I looked at it as an option, and with your skills it should be pretty impressive. I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but it now has my full attention.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Keep the pictures coming! From the female perspective, are you this organized inside the home as well? Just asking...

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu May 01, 2014 1:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I finally finished the electrical system! fire fire

I started the final wiring at the power distribution box and worked out from there. Looking at all the ground connections to be made, I added a single point grounding block.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Then the wiring harness for the accessory relay box was assembled. Here is how I made the twisted pair for the signal wire.
by , on Flickr

And WeatherPack'd the harness: (I retained the ARB compressor connectors for ease of replacement should something fail.)
by , on Flickr

While at it, the ARB compressor was re-configured for its new home and an airline fitting added for emergency tire filling:
by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 06, 2014 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

With the underhood wiring done, the dash wiring went pretty quickly. So much so, I didn't take many pictures, but here is the final shots from the fuse panels and main harness. A far cry from the rats nest I started with.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

I also put some extra effort in while wiring the VHX box. Every wire was terminated with ferrules to reduce strain and prevent fraying.
by , on Flickr

With the wiring done, I needed to build a new dash. Starting with this:
by , on Flickr

I began penciling in the various components until everything fit.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

The biggest challenge was placing everything in a way that it would clear the heating ducting and wiring harness. It's a tight fit around the steering column. Here's the dash all cutout, mounting holes drilled and sanded. It's not as nice as what other people have done, but it is clean and functional. I will probably do a fancier dash when I build the new stretched body and frame. But I just want to drive the thing right now!
by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 06, 2014 9:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The biggest hassle in mounting the dash was working around the old dash. The PO had cut it up pretty bad and there wasn't much left to screw to. I did the best I could evenly spacing the Rivnuts so the dash will be mounted with machine screws instead of sheet metal screws. Here you can see the some of the old dash was attached with what appears to be Liquid Nails.
by , on Flickr

First test fit. Thanks to B.O.B. for supplying me with a new glove box door. I'm not sure why the old one was cut up. The truck does not have a full cage.
by , on Flickr

With gauges and switch panel installed
by , on Flickr

I spent some time testing all the vehicle functions before final assembly. It was nice that everything worked as it should, given the extensive amount of re-work I did and all the new wiring that was added. But with everything working, I was able to get a night shot of the new dash.
by , on Flickr

With the wiring done, I decided to celebrate with a motorcycle ride and some KT's BBQ!

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 06, 2014 9:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Now your just showing off

(And I like it !)

thumbs up

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue May 06, 2014 10:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed May 07, 2014 12:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Fri May 09, 2014 7:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More progress:

Due to tight spacing when reassembly dash, I had to further thread and shorten the headlight switch nut
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 30, 2014 11:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fitup the trans and T-case
by , on Flickr

Exhaust header now no longer work, so I was forced to buy shortys shrug
by , on Flickr

ARB showed up. Time to do gears
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 30, 2014 11:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Numbered the bolts so I didn't forget to torque one
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 30, 2014 11:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Improvised knuckle jig for reaming for high steer
by , on Flickr

Big hole
by , on Flickr

Adapter fit
by , on Flickr

Check extended radius arm clearance with axle assembled
by , on Flickr

Make new tie rod for 1-ton TREs
by , on Flickr

Ream tie rod end for high steer
by , on Flickr

Mill wrench flats into tie rod and test fit
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 30, 2014 11:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Whipped out a transmission mount
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Reattached spring buckets with 2" spacer. I'll redrill the lower spring mounts 1" inboard. This should make up the 3"/side difference of the full width axle.
by , on Flickr

My weld-in tube bungs got delayed by UPS, so I'm sitting around with little to do at the moment. Hopefully I can still get the front axle in soon.

Also talked with my boss and lined up some Bilstien 7100's with a custom tune for Jeep TJ from the old Nth Degree suspension system. This should give me a good starting point since the TJ is similar weight, wheelbase and suspension geometry to my planned suspension.

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 31, 2014 12:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It'll be a roller soon!

Sat May 31, 2014 7:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good, you're doing some awesome work!

Sat May 31, 2014 8:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well I have been working my rear off and I'm still falling behind schedule. Oh well, not much to do about that.

While I had the front axle out, I decided to do something about the ridiculous amount of positive camber these things have from the factory. I bought some ball joint sleeves from work and went about test fitting several until I found a pair that removed the lash right as they were hitting proper adjustment.

1.5° units:
by , on Flickr

Installed with angled washer
by , on Flickr

Before:
by , on Flickr

After:
by , on Flickr

I also needed to cut down my old radius arms to work with the Bronco's package space and suspension geometry
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

For this project, I decided to ditch the Johnny Joints I had been running for 7 years and switch to a combination of rubber bushings and some new joints I designed which feature an OEM-style construction with boots to keep the crud out.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next