[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Digger's '69 Build Thread
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Digger's '69 Build Thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: New Member 69
What are you plans for the trackbar? I'm sure you are likely building your own but it would be cool if a stock or maybe an adjustable front trackbar could be repurposed?

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

VERY BAD A**

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I hit a big milestone last weekend. The truck is finally back on all 4's! smokin

I still needed a frame-side trackbar bracket, which wasn't too difficult to build.
by , on Flickr

Then I took some time to remove the only bad spots I found on the frame which were behind the rear shock mounts.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

After painting the frame and suspension parts, I grabbed the end rings I made earlier and went to work getting final measurements for the trackbar.
by , on Flickr

With measurements checked 10-12 times and weighing how I wanted the axle to sit at ride height, I took some tube to work and put a bend in it and flattened the ends with the 75 ton press. Back home I took more measurements and coped the tube and welded it to the end rings.
by , on Flickr

After some paint, it was looking pretty good. Then I pressed in the xAxis Joint and the bushing.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

The moment of truth: The rear axle all bolted up, sitting at planned ride height
by , on Flickr

At full compression
by , on Flickr

View of the trackbar showing it tucked between the axle and where the gas tank will sit.
by , on Flickr

Showing a little articulation with the floor jack. The left side was hung up on the jack stand, otherwise I could have gotten it to the floor with slack to spare. Honestly, I not sure where this thing would stop. I know it will only be limited by the shocks
by , on Flickr

Finally! Weight on the axle! If you look close, you will notice the axle is slightly right of center. It should settle out to being 0.2" right of center at ride height. This was done so when the suspension compresses it will strike the jounce bumpers squarely due to the arc travel path of the trackbar. Not an uncommon practice done by the OEMs.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Right now the truck is sitting 2.5" inches higher than planned, but it's missing about 700 lbs. The rear only weighs 850lbs at the moment. Gas tank, rear bumper and spare tire will leverage 550lbs alone onto the rear springs. I still need to add cage, rear seat, a pair of kids and some cargo.

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great! What size tube did you use to make the eyes on the track bar. Looks like 2" .25 wall?

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Jealous. Wish I had that type of skill and knowledge. Oh yah- and patience!

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, may hit the machine shop so i can run similar bushings.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very nice, when is the maiden voyage around the neighborhood?

Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice rear! damn sexy....

Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

New Year. New Toys.

I bite the bullet and purchased my own copy of SolidWorks for home. As I contemplated what still needed to be brought into CAD to finish all my projects, I quickly realized that I might as well model the whole darn thing. The only part I had not planned on building in CAD was the body itself. Given how simple the lines are, I think I can pull this off.

I found a really good scale print of the frame some time ago. Pulling the print into SW, I was able to make a very good representation of the frame:
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

This weekend while the kids were sleeping I planted myself in front of the computer and banged out some more details, added brackets, and even was able to make a very good representation of the spring buckets with the 2" extensions I built.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

And a little color for effect...
by , on Flickr

This could get pretty cool in a hurry. My main motivation for modeling the body will be to see how the tire carrier and winch bumpers look before I cut any metal.

More to come...

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow...

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is one helluva new toy !

Sounds like a fun project.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You got some mad SW skills! Mine are far behind that, but I am learning.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very cool.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Does this qualify as "Web Wheeling"?

So far, modeling the body has been going pretty well. Although it has high-lighted how poorly these bodies were originally constructed. For the most part, the body is square, but you can tell at certain junctions the panels didn't fit right and had to be massaged into place.

The good news is now I can accurately design the rear shock mounts and take advantage of the body lift and the extra package space that used to be occupied by the leaf springs.

The tub model should come in handy for designing the actual cage. I want to do some thing different with the front legs, similar to a Rock Hard Sports Cage, but tied to the floor and mid-body mounts to keep the cage clear of the foot well / parking brake, etc. The cage will be tied to the floor, bed rails, upper firewall, etc so the body and cage will reinforce each other, making both stronger. Then the whole mess will be tied to the frame via the normal body mounts and at least one set of extra mounts under the main hoop.

The tires/wheels are not mine. I downloaded them from GRABCAD to see what 37's would look like.

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

I played around with photo-rendering my Bilstein model.

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's awesome!

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post New Member 69
Are you going to model in the fuel filler encroachment into the rear drivers side inner fender? Also how hard would it be to model a flat floor and could application show the interference points from original?

The shock render is cool.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Why yes I do, I took the easier path when I added my back doors (that sounds funny) and left all the original floor structure in place. I'd like to flat floor the entire area in the future to gain some space back. Knowing the interference points would make planning easier.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Flat floor in the passenger area? Like this guy?

I've been thinking about your rig throughout this whole process. I think I can copy off my frame model, split it and stretch it to match your frame extension. This would be useful for virtual testing the bending strength of the longer frame.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes, I've been following that build, I like the floor, I don't like the back door window frames.

I think I can do a similar floor, my tunnel will be longer with my doubler, but I ditched the muffler so the rest can go flat.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A stretched rig analysis would be so beneficial to many people! It'd be awesome to know just how far a frame could be stretched before lack of strength becomes an issue.

I love what you're doing with the model! Looks amazing! Probably far more sophisticated than the original design!!

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes. I hear of crew cab long bed guys complain about that, especially on poorly made concrete roads like 225.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got a little more done in the last 24 hours, but process is typically slow. I'm happy it is taking shape though.

The hood, fenders and grill will be difficult to model accurately, but I'm hoping to make some more progress this weekend.

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So very cool

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next