[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Digger's '69 Build Thread
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Digger's '69 Build Thread 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: New Member 69

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You just need taller tires. poke

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My plan from the beginning was to make the Bronco our family adventure rig. Part of that plan involves towing our small popup camper, for which I needed a hitch. Weighing a lot of options, I settled on the Tom's receiver hitch. It wasn't the cheapest, but it gets the job done and saves me more fabrication time.
by , on Flickr

The only things I don't like about the Tom's hitch is the way the receiver tube is welded in the middle of the cross tube and lack of any actual Class III certification.

I had to re-drill the holes in my gas tank brackets and slot the frame holes slightly rearward to clear the 23 gal fuel tank. (not a Tom's tank)
by , on Flickr

I also had to notch the PO's rear bumper to clear the hitch, but it fits well. The new bumper will clear without issue.
by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A bronco with a trailer brings tears of joy to my eyes!

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I also needed some side mirrors since mine were removed and 'glassed over by the PO.

I bought some 1stGen Ranger/BII mirrors from Dorman. They gave the Bronco a little bit more modern look.

I had to contour them slightly to match the curve of the door.
by , on Flickr

New Rivnuts in the door.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Now for the big job!

I have been unable to take the kids anywhere due to lack of rear seat. I ordered a Tom's fold-n-tumble, but refused to install it until I had proper roll over protection. The Bronco came with a simple roll bar tied to the floor. I didn't trust it much. I needed a full six-point cage and wanted to do something a little different with the front legs. My plan was to build a cage modeled after the Rock Hard Sport cages used on Jeep JKs to free up space in the foot box and tie the cage to the firewall to add rigidity to the body. I also will tie the cage through the floor to the frame for strength.

Using what I modeled before in CAD I hashed out an idea and polished it up it bit using computer analysis.

The first part was laying out the legs and making sure they would fit between the dash and inner wall of the tub.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had a whole weekend without the family, so I took 2 extra days off to bang out this project. This was Saturday morning at 6:30am.
by , on Flickr

Time to start yanking parts!
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I like knowing where my tube came from:
by , on Flickr

A side view of the front legs.
by , on Flickr

Bending some tube. I was going to build this in two pieces, but decided to try the whole thing in one shot.
by , on Flickr

Mocking up the main hoop and side hoops took the longest since it was laying the foundation for the rest of the work.
by , on Flickr

Figuring out the front interface.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

End of day 1 (T=15hrs)
by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I spent Sunday tacking together pieces and adding more body tie-in points to each leg. I also started laying out the rear halo and diagonal supports.
by , on Flickr

Since I can't put diagonal bracing in the B-pillar hoop, I came up with a plan to form a large "X" from the back corners to the front corners to triangulate the cage.

Using CAD to determine tube lengths and cope angles, the pieces fit together nicely.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Day two ended with all the tubes installed and tacked into place. (T=30hrs)
by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I woke up Monday and took one more picture in the daylight
by , on Flickr

Monday I needed to add all the necessary brackets for 3-point seatbelts and windshield supports along with corner gussets.
I build out triangulated brackets to hold the windshield, taking care to make sure the frame was parallel with the doors.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

With everything in place, my neighbor helped me pull the cage to finish welding the tubes and brackets together.
by , on Flickr

Here you can see the longitudinal and lateral braces for the front legs. I tied into the strongest points on the body. Now the cage ties the rear of the body to the front and should add much rigidity to the truck. Even without these brackets, the front legs are pinned in by the dash and door supports and the fit is tight.
by , on Flickr

Day 3 (T=42hrs)

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tuesday I got to work early to beat the rain. It was time for some paint!
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

After waiting a few hours, time to install!
by , on Flickr

The welds came out pretty good. flipoff
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

I didn't take many pictures, but I got the Tom's Fold-n-Tumble seat installed along with the 3-point seat belts.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

The fit with the soft top came out perfect. I maximized the room inside without interfering with anything important.
by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Total time = 54 hrs.

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dang. That is nice! Love the front legs.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:05 am

Love the cage. when are you tying it into the frame?

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very nicely done! I really like the look. kids will enjoy the first ride!!

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very nice.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

soooo when can I drop mine off to get a cage built/installed? Looks great!

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

More build, more pictures. Rear bumper this time:

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Testing out fit with the camper. She's a bit tight, but still has enough clearance. I was ready to replace the lift jack if necessary. Even went through some dips without issue.

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

And for my last-minute, midnight-buzzer-beater job, I threw together a storage box to lock up the tools. Not Fort Knox, but will deter the opportunist.

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great! I like the box!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

box looks cool.... think Ive seen similar somewhere before icon biggin thumbs up

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What size plate did you use on the front of the cage?

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last edited by Digger on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Much better. Looks great!

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next