[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Bronco number 3 - A four year project.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Bronco number 3 - A four year project. 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Bronco number 3 - A four year project.
You might be able to treat what you can, weld in the patch.. then make a small hole in the bottom and excessively spray some rust inhibitor in there... then weld up that hole? I would think you can get most of the scale with a rust inhibitor but welding the edges will burn it off anyway.. I know POR15 is decent - but messy (not sure about the fumes form welding), there are quite a few others out there, i will be looking at the same thing as you as i know the inside of mine looks similar...

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd be tempted to do paint away from the welding, then weld thru primer closer to the welds. It's crap paint and won't hold up to wear, but this is a non wear area and it'll hold up to heat better than most.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Remove as much rust as possible with abrasives, then rust convert, maybe some rattle can paint over that, if it needs a top coat. Weld through primer all the new bare steel & spot weld areas.

Anything except weld through primer will catch fire when welding close by.

Consider using panel bonder across the face of the tailgate, and around the hinge areas. It will completely seal the joint, and avoid heat warpage.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Throw some of these in there and seal it up?

LOL!

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well after much procrastination and a lot of time sidetracked by house remodeling, we have gotten down to the wire on the kids Bronco. We have yanked out the engine, transmission, and T case and removed the doors, hood , fenders and grill. We will start by repairing a minor smooshing to the right inner fender and core support and fix the rust in the aprons before moving inside to floor pans and rockers. Viper has been plugging away at the Dana 20 which is a T shift but is getting the J shift conversion treatment. ImageImageImageImage
In that last photo of the boy, you can see him giving me the finger. Nope, not just an unfortunate accidental gesture. That was intentional!

Incidentally, the 302 and three speed that came out will not be going back in so if anyone needs a running 302, send me a message. It runs pretty smooth and I have video of it running and driving right before we pulled it out. The engine is of the 1983 vintage but I have no idea what the miles are or how long it was in the bronco. The price is extremely reasonable to a CCB member in need. If nobody here has a need it will go to Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Additionally, we will be putting together a list of things we need. Cheap and free parts will absolutely be appreciated by a 15 year old boy who has large bronco aspirations but no job to pay for them.

Currently on the list

A decent grill better than what we have.
Early explorer front drive shaft
Rotor and hub assembly for chevy disc brakes
Might need a right fender if we can't save what we have.
Soft top. Preferably in black
Roll cage
Rear springs. 3 1/2"
Trac bar riser
Adjustable trac bar

A bunch of other stuff needs to be on the list but that's what comes to mind right now.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats on the progress!! Hope you enjoy the garage time with your son! Mine is old enough now to spent some time out with me and begin learning!

I've seen a really cool coffee table made out of a V8 block and they seem to sell for a good chunk of change! Someday I want one when I have a permanent man-cave, but that could be a money maker for your son!

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The cleanest part on this bronco is officially the transfer case. Viperwolf got it wrapped up with August serving as the helper. With a little luck, the whole bronco will end up looking this good.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have NEVER seen a D20 that clean!!

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 am

X2 That is super clean better wear gloves while installing it!

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ImageImage

Today, August learned that sand blasting is only fun for about five minutes.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

^ so true.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You gotta love a father, son and Viperwolf1 project!

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So if I'm going to give the kid my engine and my fuel injection along with it, I'm going to need some parts to get mine back on the road. Image

This little bargain came along this week and will eventually end up giving its life so that the bronco can go on. It may live on in the short term as wheels for the kid while his bronco project continues. The body is in good enough shape that I'm tempted to fix it and keep it around as a spare set of wheels and find another donor for the bronco.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4