[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 72 restore/mild build
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 12:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 72 restore/mild build 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 72 restore/mild build
Okay, finally had some time to work on the Bronco. Finished installing the quarters and cut outs for the flares and side marker lights. I also got all the bare metal etch primed.

So what's the next step? I plan on using all PPG products from here on. Should I:

1: epoxy prime
2: fill/block
3: surface prime
4: fill/block
5: paint

or

1: surface prime
2: fill/block
3: paint

My Personal Website -

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am not the pro, but I ended up fill-priming 4 times. Once immediately after the Etch Primer. 2, 3, 4th times after block sanding. I was surpirsed how flat I thought it was, then would quickly find out after blocking that it was not flat. Each time I would get it closer and closer to the final product. I had it delivered to my paint pro and he stated that is was a good job but still doing ANOTHER primer and block sand on the hood.

Not to add another step, but my auto body guy is doing a sealer primer just before paint.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

May I make a suggestion on primer.I use a PPG industrial epoxy primer sealer(CRE catalyst CRE primer sealer)Il ike it #1 because its cheap,#2 its tintable #3 super hi build I think up to 30 mils.at a time#4 sands awsome and is super stable.
A mixable gallon is about a $100 bucks and goes a long way.avalible at painters supply.
P.S. theres some tips on mixing if you decide to go this way.Let me know and i'll fill you in.JGZ

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got the first coat of primer on today. Going to block tomorrow and try for a second but may have to wait until later this week. Looks pretty good but I definitely see some areas that need attention before another coat.

My Personal Website -

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You have come a long ways man!! Don't skimp on the details now!

J.D.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Is that a fiberglass hood? Man oh man, you are moving forward with your project...Nice work!

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hood is fiberglass. Hit the gel coat with some 220 grit before primer. PO never had it painted so there was dirt and grim on it. It cleaned up nice though.

My Personal Website -

Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

While I was waiting for the paint guy to show up yesterday to give me an estimate I started working on the my dash a little. Before I knew it I have the glovebox cut out and moved 3" to clear the rollbar. After work today I'm going to fill the rest of the holes and prep for the dash for paint.

My Personal Website -

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have never seen someone just move the glove box over 3".

A friend of mine in TX had a bronco that the whole dash was shortened 3" either side and that allowed for the roll bar to tuck neatly between it and the door. If I ever do a new cage, I will probably go this route.

Thanks for the update!

J.D.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thats how I roll! icon biggin

Make it fit!

My Personal Website -

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Where are you going to stash your speaker? Like its a huge worry! LOL...

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Music has pretty much been an afterthought. banghead

I've seen so many cool ways to mount speakers. I think the best was the speakers in the kick panel using a hotel pan. I may end up going this route.

My Personal Website -

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe overhead in your cage?
J.D.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What is a Hotel Pan?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Overhead in the back might be okay but I don't know about the front.

Hotel pans are those trays that line cooks use. Like what they use at subway to store all the veggies. I have no idea why they are called hotel pans.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hotel+pa ... 09&bih=807

My Personal Website -

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds like a good idea to me! Maybe extend you dash down towords the floor and put them in front of the sticks...

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do really nice work. Good to see progress made at a regular pace with so many members on here. I was going to give you some pointers about the body work ( I used to do that stuff years back, went to school for it etc etc) but it looks like you figured it out.

I really like POR products. I coated my straight axle on my 64 F100 with it. looks brand new. I will more than likely use it on my floors in my EB as well. I also used some PPG Epoxy primer on my 69 Mustang before it was painted. Thats a neat product but I would hate to be the person that has to remove it next time. foshizzle

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My Personal Website -

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds good to me...I think your only other option is white if you have plans on putting other colors on the inside.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would paint the dash to match the outside of the truck, door frames, door jambs, etc.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My Personal Website -

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Are you doing a solid blue on the outside or incorporating any stripes? If doing stripes, I'd paint the dash to match the stripes.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Finally some progress to report icon biggin

Should be ready to pickup from the paint shop in a week and a half.

The garage feels so empty now.

My Personal Website -

Thu May 05, 2011 9:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Enjoy the time off from the project. I would use this time to make complete lists of what you need. I forgot a few things and paying shipping over and over is not fun. It is easy to remember the big stuff, but don't forget the little stuff like bolts, seals, weather stripping, lenses, mirrors, door hardware, wheel center caps, windshield seal, etc.

Towing is the best way - trying to get a non-running non-braking Bronco on a trailer would NOT be fun.

Looking forward to more pics! Keep us updated!

Thu May 05, 2011 10:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Was there some sort of contest that I missed here? Your truck looks like its going to be a real beauty...

Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

sounds like we should have take a vote at the June breakfast

winner gets free breakfast

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri May 06, 2011 10:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Secretly I've been competing with Entourage. Finally being able to attend a breakfast might be better than free breakfast.

My Personal Website -

Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Copy that...There could be catagories like mall crawler, rock crawler, daily driver, show pony you name it!

Fri May 06, 2011 5:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Okay, need a recommendation. I'm having the painter shoot bedliner too and I can't decide if I should have him shoot it over the bedrail. What is everyone else doing.

How far from the inside over the rail did you go? Thanks

My Personal Website -

Tue May 10, 2011 8:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You want it for protection. In that case, I would have him stop where the bedrail begins to slope down to the quarter panel. What does your painter suggest?

J.D.

Tue May 10, 2011 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next