[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Greetings everyone, my 1978 Bronco
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Greetings everyone, my 1978 Bronco 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Greetings everyone, my 1978 Bronco
Hey guys, I just joined today and am excited about a bunch of local Bronco owners organizing for events. I actually didn't know about this site until I stumbled across it today while searching for some Bronco stuff.

This is my 1978 Bronco Free Wheeling Package, hence the stripes. His name is Clifford, cause he's a big red dog (for now). My total vision is to restore the rig back to as close to showroom as possible, with a few upgrades here and there. This is not and will not be another 78-79 with a 4 inch lift and the fenders hacked-out to fit 44's, and bedliner exterior, and seats from a 98 honda civic, I think you get the point. Nothing against those trucks, but this one is too clean of a survivor to mess with like that. I have recently finished a full interior restoration (though keen eyes will note I haven't reinstalled my sun visors). The seat material for the front seats is repro-vinyl and NOS plaid ($$$$$$$, unfortunately) and while replacing the carpet, I installed Hushmat over the entire floor, up the sides of the rear quarters and in the doors. Now I can hear ALL the rattles really well.

I then removed the whole dash assembly and cleaned/replaced many items like the glove box, a/c ducts and vents, gauge pod, printed circuit, etc. I removed the dash pad, primed and painted it with the correct Ford color. It will get sent to Just Dashes one day, but not now. I replaced all the wood grain trim and badges on the dash front, along the the a/c vents. I put in a new Pioneer head unit with Polk speakers in the doors and the very back (the previous owner already had the 6x9 cut outs) with new wiring. While the dash was out, I also had the original, cracked windshield replaced with a Ford OEM windshield. A master weatherstripping kit from Bronco Graveyard has also been installed when I had the interior apart.

Under the vehicle, the old leaking gas tank (and I mean leaking!) was replaced with a new 33 steel unit, same as before. I had the skid plate blasted and then I primed and painted it with a rubberized coating. At that time, all soft lines and the sending unit was replaced (only because the old sending unit was not coming out with out being destroyed). Though, I am going to try another sending unit because this one reads about 1/4 to 1/2 tank less than what really in there. Next, all of the suspension was replaced; new rear springs, front coils, six new shocks and all associated bushing replaced with polys. The front coils are the Skyjacker "leveling" kind with 1-2" of lift to eliminate the factory rake. Well, my passenger front spring is collapsing after about 400 miles since the install, but my new (warrantied) set will be here on Monday. I wish I knew that I could have gone with a wild horses 3.5" spring set and it would have yielded the 2+/-" I was after in the front. As a note, the rear springs are about 1.5" taller than a new "stock" set, since they are the HD version. The set up offers plenty of clearance for the 32" BFG AT's. I kept it at this height because I wanted it to fit in my garage at home, and my parking garage in downtown Denver when I occasionally take it to work. The itch for some 35's is really getting to me, but I only have about 1000 miles on these BFG's. Oh well.

Speaking of Wild Horses, the most recent upgrade was a Delphi/Saginaw power steering conversion, that FINALLY took away that embarrassing whine that the factory pump would not let go of. Talk about a well engineered part, everything bolted right up.

As I have been in Denver now for almost two years, and the Bronco will be ready to roll out this summer, I really hope to tag along with some guys and be shown some nice trails. Don't worry, I'm not a noob at off-roading. I need to replace the aged Holley with a new Edelbrock and get a new radiator before heading to the mountains, but that will be done soon. I would also like to add a Detroit out back, too. We'll see if I can sneak that one by the wife somehow.

Again, I really hope to join in on some fun events around Colorado, even if I have to be put in the corner with a dunce cap on because I have a big, fat 78.

IMG_1672.jpgIMG_1677.jpgIMG_1674.jpgIMG_1675.jpgIMG_1679.jpgIMG_1680.jpgIMG_1682.jpgIMG_1683.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1978 Bronco w/Free Wheeling Package - all original from factory: 400/C6/NP205, 9" rear/high pinion D44, not to mention the tri-color stripes and plaid seats. WH 4” lift, 35’s, WH Hydroboost, rear disc kit, chrome shafts, 4.11’s, Detroit’s f/r, 3G alt, Protofab cage and rear bumper, restored interior and other stuff.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Greetings everyone, my 1978 Bronco
Welcome! Looks like a great ride!

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, Justin. I've actually just been reading up on your build. Wildly impressive, sir! I know it's only a matter of time before, I start modifying this and that and then end up with a buggy....even though I say I'm leaving it alone because its a survivor. shrug

1978 Bronco w/Free Wheeling Package - all original from factory: 400/C6/NP205, 9" rear/high pinion D44, not to mention the tri-color stripes and plaid seats. WH 4” lift, 35’s, WH Hydroboost, rear disc kit, chrome shafts, 4.11’s, Detroit’s f/r, 3G alt, Protofab cage and rear bumper, restored interior and other stuff.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:47 am

Nice fullsize. Last I looked into it you still cant find the stripe package from anywhere. So a full resto might be hard.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome,

That is a great looking rig. Would love to see it !

My dad had a black one with the stripes and we loved that thing.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks guys. I'd love to attend the March breakfast, but I've haven't driven it that far of a distance in one sitting yet (82 miles from my house). I'm sure it'll be fine though.

ZOSO, there is a paint shop that I have settled on in Thornton when I'm ready to paint. He has a guy who confirmed he can recreate the stripe stickers, but it'll be about $500-$600, which is around what I figured. That was a sweet 79 you had by the way.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Greetings everyone, my 1978 Bronco
Welcome! Great looking BFB (big fat Bronco, your words, not mine. Lol)

Would you happen to know when your truck was manufactured? Just a few months ago, colorado75bronc and I parted out a 78 in my driveway. It also had what I've always considered to be 68-77 Bronco seats in it, just like yours.

What are your drivetrain plan? I've been wanting to pick up a dent side truck and drop a fuel injected late model 460 and E4OD into it.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:11 am

I still have my 79 but i'll let it go for a good price if you want a wheeler....

Zach those are the same seats that were in my 79 also. They were base model seats.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I actually pulled Corbeaus out of my Bronco and replaced with them with those seats. Strange maybe, but I find the stock seats very comfortable. Must be all of those years sleeping on the ground and in the rain.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I dig it. Feels like the 70's!

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice looking dent side! My second favorite bronco model!

Yeah, if you think this one is too nice to be modded, you might not want to catch the "rock crawling" bug. It all starts off innocently enough with a scenic trail ride. You notice a spur road leading to somewhere you want to go, but it's a bit rougher. You barely make it thru, but you get that rush...hooked!

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks! If I'm gonna be honest, I think the only bug I've caught is the genuine desire for a EB. In the short time I've been scouring this site, I've had the little EB voice grow in to a big bully, urging me to sell the 78 and join the small(er) side :). I'm seriously contemplating taking care of a few maintenance items, a few touches here and there, and then pretending like I don't have it for a few days (simulated seller's remorse) and see where I'm at.

Problem is, I have a clean, un-Frankensteined full size Bronco, or "dent side". By the way, thank you so much for allowing me to connect the dots on that one so I didn't have to ask and get noob-flamed (though, this doesn't seem like the type of community that does that). Also, thanks for letting me in the club, despite my dent-side status.

Back to my point. My budget would be, let's say $12k all in, pretty sure that would be ok with the boss-lady, $15k tops. For that I would like a decent shape EB with a WH lift, decent shape body, 302 or 351, manual trans, locked rear end, money for a nice soft top, seats, stereo, and a small contingency. Now what I can find on the usual sites are the $4000 EB's that my friends had in when I was in high school ('98-'02), that are now listed for $11,000. I don't care what ICON asks for their Broncos, ones with rusted out rockers, floors and tailgate, a lawn chair driver's seat, a 302 running "well" (yeah, we'll see), and a drivetrain that hasn't been touched in since last century, does not constitute $9, 10, 12 or 15k.

Or does it? Am I wrong? Have I offended everyone? I've been a car nut all my life. I'm 31 and am on my 17th vehicle, I think. I sold cars and wrote service, I've had several other classic vehicles, I understand the market - I know the difference between a genuine appreciation of a vehicle and a Japanese businessman run up of Ferrari's in the late 80's or baby boomers selling their companies and paying $2million for a convertible Hemi Cuda because they wanted to relive their high school days (I was actually at that Barrett-Jackson auction with my Grandfather, talk about energy in a room!), etc.

That said, would those of you here advise, holding on to my 78 and letting the market correct (though I firmly believe it won't as classic SUV's are the current and next big seller, due to many reasons), or sell the 78 now and get an EB before things get even worse? I kind feel like the Denver real estate market is the same thing. I moved from Houston in June of '13. I feel like I missed the boat on reasonable housing, as we had to pay a hefty premium for our home over what it would have been even 2 years ago. Furthermore, one could argue that this is either a bubble or sustainable growth, a probably be correct either way (though the Oil and Gas sector is tanking right now). Have I come in to the same type of game with the EB's?

Sorry for the drastic change of topic here. But any and all guidance would be immensely appreciated. My wife is getting really sick of me posing hypothetical Bronco situations to her.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well... if you're already feeling inclined to get a EB just from perusing this site, then you, sir, have an addictive personality. Thankfully, we're the type of guys who will help you dive right in! This is a site dedicated to the EB, so therefore we are all bias. Jump on in, the water's warm!

In the end, I think you have to decide what you want from this "toy". Do you want a mall-crawler (that's an easy one for a noob to figure out :-) ) or do you want something you don't feel bad about a few pinstripes in the paint to start and then as you get the urge, a tree ding here, a small rock rash there... It continues to get worse and then resemble my bronco. You have what might make a really nice street rig/scenic road traveler, but it appears to be awful nice to take it on some of the trails we generally hit. If you want something more rugged, then do what will get you top dollar for your FSB and then you'll be ready for that sweet EB!

Deals are out there. You have to be patient, and be ready to pounce at a moments notice. As for the EB market, it has been increasing for several years and while I see it continuing, I'm hoping it'll level out a bit instead of what seems like an incline the opposite of my stocks... Here's the hard part. You won't likely find deals on ebay, autotrader, etc. Craigslist can turn up some good ones, and I am sure there are a few sites I am unaware of, but again, those in the know are ready to buy when they see the ad. You have to beat them to the punch. A lot more folks are scared of body work (myself included) than of swapping an axle, putting in a new t-case, etc. So if you can do body work, or know a guy, then your dollar might stretch further for one with "good bones" that needs some rust repaired, then if you found one with a good body that needs HD upgrades for trail use.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats on your Bronco! Great looking MG too. I learned to drive on 70' MG midget. Really fun cars.

Best,
Danny

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What the bleep?

I just looked on CL and there are no Broncos for less than $10,000

There were at least three for $6,000 or less a week or two ago, what the freak happened?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So is the '78 your daily driver? I think occasionally you will find a pretty good deal on something that will give you a VERY good starting point for what you are after. If you can be patient (I know it is hard-- I don't have much of it myself), I think deals are still out there. In fact, I would say about twice a year, someone on here posts up their ride on here for a relatively fair price. You can also keep an eye on CL in the surrounding states as you could easily and relatively inexpensively tow something back.

But just like Jesus Man said-- you have to be ready to react at a moment's notice. I would definitely keep an eye on ClassicBroncos.com as well for local or close to local broncos. I would suspect that depending on the Bronco and the seller, they would rather deal with a local buyer as opposed to dealing with someone out of state. Most guys that are members here that end up selling a rig would rather give a fair deal to a fellow member than to try to squeeze every last penny out of you.

In summary-- if you decide you want to get an EB and can be patient-- get your 78 fixed to where you think you could get max dollar for it, then sell it. Then just keep your eyes open for a deal. If you are serious about buying something and WE know it-- there are lots of guys on here that will also look for you...

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow! Many thanks for all the positive responses guys! After continuing to read around the site, I can't express how impressed I am with the community here. Just a great group of guys.

To clear up what I'm after, I bought this 78 for the right reasons...at the time. I wanted a clean, original restoration candidate, that would be a great cruiser, and be able to see some mild, moderate off-roading. For those purposes, my rig is great. My tastes have since changed. I figure that while I'm in CO, I want a rig that is still has the "cool" factor, while being very capable off-road with all that this state has to offer. A 78 can fit that bill, just not mine. Can I do this cheaper with a Jeep or Blazer? Probably. Do I want to? Nope. I am now considering my 78 to be a gateway Bronco. Furthermore, my business sensibilities tell me that a EB is a far better way to go about having a really fun toy that is still worth something (think CJ or worse, a TJ lmao , or a K5, etc.) in the future. The way I am approaching this is like how I approached the 78, and my old C-10. I am building an EB on paper from the ground up. As such, I seek a vehicle that is as rough, or as nicely equipped as close to my finished vision as possible. This way, I already have the "basket case" vehicle scenario accounted for budget-wise, and can delete things off the list as it relates to the condition of the vehicle chosen. Such as, a vehicle just had the exact seats I would put in already installed, or a WH 4.5" kit already installed or bumpers, etc. and cross that off the list. I understand that what I want is closer to a $25k-$30k all in build cost, but I think that, $12k-$15k can get me far enough along, with the right buy in price and vehicle, to appease my inner build-God's for a while.

This will not be a daily driver, like my 78 is not a daily driver, so I'll put 36" boggers on it. Why not? flipoff Gas mileage, creature comforts, etc are not a huge concern. My wife doesn't like riding in the (very comfortable and quiet) 78 now, so even an EB with carpet probably won't be her cup of tea, until her top comes off; the Bronco's top, of course.

So, yes, CL does have some EB's but most, not all, seem to be a bit lofty. I don't mind being patient to a degree, but as Jesus_man said, yes, I have an addiction and they are cars of all kinds. Telling the wife that it's better than drugs, booze or other women, doesn't work anymore.

I'll keep my eye out and be getting much more serious here in about 2-3 months when I will (most likely) have the MG sold and the 78 on the market. Thanks for mentioning classicbroncos.com, I'll check that out. As for everything outside of that and CL, I agree that top dollar is being asked on the other sites. For grins, anyone who's interested do a search for EB's only (I did "Bronco" and 66-77 in the "years") in Houston. SInce I am from there and all my family lives there, I could justify a trip down there to pick one up. Anyway, ALL of them are 5 figures. All I could do was laugh.

Many, many thanks again for all the weigh-ins and I'll keep y'all posted on where I stand over the next couple of months.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Before you buy your boggers let us know. Those are pretty horrible in everything except level mud pits. But perhaps you were talking theoretically.

Also there is a good TX based EB club called Lonestar EB. See if you can hook up with them if you are looking in that area. Maybe find what you are after from a member.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Head east young man, head east

having trouble posting the link itself.

image.jpg

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here you go:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4937176019.html

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Rox Crusher and sykanr0ng, thanks for the posting! I wish the timing was better. That would be the exact kind of vehicle I'm after; a decent platform at a decent price. Looks like I'll extend my search to Nebraska and perhaps Kansas. This Bronco would be like $9,000 in or around Denver. Why? Big regional city commands big regional pricing?

Thanks again.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:25 am

I'll make you a killer deal on my 79. It wheels everywhere I ever pointed it. Plus you know your way around the 78-79

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Look in Wyoming and Montana too. Try using searchtempest if you haven't already

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next