[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - My new 68 Uncut
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 My new 68 Uncut 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post My new 68 Uncut
Hi all,

I'm new to the classic Bronco world, but very excited to be cruising around in this thing. I have always loved these Broncos and finally got up the courage to buy one (after looking for one for months of course). I have plans to slowly restore to original. As of now, it has a lot of rust but runs great. As far as I can tell as a novice, it is completely stock: 289, three on the tree, still has the smog pump, original AM radio, supposedly the top has never been off, drum breaks all around, vacuum wipers, etc. I just put in an electric fuel pump as it was having problems getting fuel when I bought it, but other than this, I'm thinking its stock.

Last weekend, I successfully took it on a 500 miles trip up to Wyoming to go camping and had an exciting experience in a rainstorm on I-25 when the wipers caught together. I'm not sure if the wipers usually have the ability to catch on each other, or if mine have a little more play in them. Regardless, I didn't let my passenger use her wiper for the rest of the trip.

I'm pumped to get to know you guys and learn how to work on these things. Here are a few photos.

Justin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 07, 2015 9:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: My new 68 Uncut
Welcome!

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu May 07, 2015 10:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome! If that's the only thing that went wrong on a 500 mile maiden voyage, I think you got a solid Bronco.

Thu May 07, 2015 10:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome! That's a pretty sweet little stocker!

Thu May 07, 2015 10:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awesome, AWESOME little Bronco! Glad to meet you, these guys know everything, about Broncos!

Where did you find your Bronco?

Thu May 07, 2015 10:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What eck said. Sweet ride! I'm starting to wonder if we need a club quota on Justin's. You're number 3.

Thu May 07, 2015 10:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow, what a beautiful bronco! When I have some disposable income, that is just about what I want. V8, 3-on-the-tree, stock.

Justin, what should the limit of our Quota be? So far I haven't met a bronco owning Justin I didn't like, but I guess we could have too much of a good thing...

Fri May 08, 2015 3:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome . Sweet Bronco

Fri May 08, 2015 4:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JD, I've rethought the quota. There shouldn't be one, as we're all pure awesome.

Fri May 08, 2015 7:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I picked it up in Littleton from a guy who had only owned it for 6 months. He was a classic car collector and bought it for his wife, but she couldn't get used to the three on the tree. He didn't know much about its ownership before that, but based on how stock everything is and how well the engine runs, he suspected that the odometer hadn't rolled over and it was actually only 43k miles on it. I'm sure you guys would have a better idea when you looked at it.

I've been looking at Broncos for months and as you guys know, they get snatched up incredibly fast. I'm a pretty impulsive buyer, so when I saw this thing on craigslist and went and looked at it (just after he had put it up), I bought it on the spot without my mechanic looking at it. Turns out that once he did look at it, he was happy with it. Its definitely not perfect, and you can see the road through the floor in multiple spots, worst being the passenger side floorpan, which is completely rusted through.

On another note, I'm having fun learning a bit about 1960s engineering. Last night I was tinkering around on the Bronco in my garage and thought I was going to innocently take a look at the air filter. I didn't read the label of "oil bath air cleaner", not that I would have known what that was, but next thing I knew I had a little project on my hands and oil everywhere. Turns out they aren't too hard to clean and everything went back together well. I had to do a little research to understand how this thing is cleaning the air coming in, as I just pictured air trying to bubble through the oil. But as I'm sure you guys know, the air makes a quick turn next to the oil and the heavier particles travel into the oil and get stuck. Still not sure how efficient this system could be. Also I was pretty confused with the spring system directing air into the filter. It doesn't appear to ever switch directions to allow fresh air to enter?

By the way, most of my friends just call me Jay, so maybe that will be easier for all of the other Justins on here, or are there already 5 of them?

J

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 08, 2015 8:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sweet Stocker!

Fri May 08, 2015 10:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Very nice. And welcome!

Fri May 08, 2015 1:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I count 4 Justin's and one Jay.

But yours has the least modified bronco to say the least.

Welcome and nice rig.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri May 08, 2015 1:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Justin you got a real nice rig.

Love the pic with the photo bombing carcus

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri May 08, 2015 3:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome, Justin. Great looking truck! Congrats, man.

Sat May 09, 2015 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So last year the 289 in my little stock Bronco decided to seize. I wasn't too happy since I'd only owned the thing for about 4 months, but on the upside, I got pretty intimate with the engine and learned a ton while taking it out, having it rebuilt, and putting it back together. I haven't posted on here for quite a while, so I figured I'd give some pictures from the endeavor and show the final results. The Bronco is running great these days, other than the drum brakes, which I have not been able to fully figure out. Those are still a work in progress.

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1517.jpg

When putting things back together, all of this plastic was found caught in the oil pickup tube screen. We replaced it, but I suspect whatever this was, caused the seizure when oil stopped recirculating in the engine. Eventually a bearing went and a fine layer of metal about an inch deep was found in the bottom of my oil pan. But this plastic is strange and I have no idea where it came from. It is very brittle. Any ideas?

Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_2219.PNG

Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am super glad you got her back on (and off) the road, nice job Justin.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

congrats...............love that snow pic !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like your Bronco ditched the WhiteWalls for some BFG's, Sweet!

Where did you take it to have all the metal work done and who rebuilt your engine?

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What a great turnout. Please submit that snow pic for the 2017 calendar!

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had the guys at Colorado Engine rebuild it. They did a great job and it was a quick turn around for $2300 with a 5 year, 50k mile warranty with all new parts on the long block and a performance cam upgrade. Obviously, there is quite a bit more cost in tearing it apart and fixing/upgrading other things under the hood.

For the body work, this was done by a friend of a friend. His name is Danny Gasser and he's just a two man shop working under the table for cash. Regardless, he did a great job and the Bronco looks great under the hood. Eventually I'll go back to him and get the rest of the body work done.

I'm loving the BFGs as well. I took it ice racing this winter on Georgetown Lake, and although I lost in the first round to a 2016 4 door Wrangler in a photo finish, I was happy with how it ran and how well the tires gripped.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Everything came together nicely, paint and bodywork look great.

Dude, Ice racing?!!! That sounds like a kick in the pants!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:03 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]