[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Project Downward Spiral
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Project Downward Spiral 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Project Downward Spiral
Well, it's been a year (almost) and I've done nothing but drive it. Got it to Super Celebration and on the way back developed a pretty rough vibration at any speed over 50mph. That made for a longer than desired drive back (3+ hours).

Got under to measure the pinion angle for good measure since I never did it after replacing the suspension. When I pulled the drive shaft to measure up against the yolk, one of the u-joint caps just fell off. Needles completely gone and the cap was cracked. Guess I found the source.

Pinion angle is currently at 10 degrees. Will probably buy some of the 6 degree shims to get it between 4 and 6 degrees.

The downward spiral here is that I will probably go ahead and start the transmission swap as I know I will need to modify the drive shafts. I have 95% of the parts for the ZF swap so, why not?

So, who has a good transmission jack that I can borrow?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That’s good you found the issue and I agree with your solution. The angle will only get more extreme with the ZF5 and shorter rear shaft. I was blowing through u joints too until I added shims to solve the angles. Haven’t had an issue since adding the shims.

I do not have a trans Jack but will take the opportunity to take a dig at the HF one. It sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The hydraulic one. It’s more about the stability of the platform. If you end up using that one, I’d definitely figure out a way to create a more secure base to drop the trans onto.

I’d maybe suggest figuring out the expected perch location with weight. I tried to rotate and do mine without the weight on the axle and was off enough to have to add the shims.

Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Still need a trans jack? I have the larger hydraulic jack and you’re welcome to borrow it. I’d recommend taking the D20 out first, then drop the trans. It’s a bit unwieldy to drop them together.

Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just checking, on the ZF swap, is there anything besides the adapter that is vendor specific? I feel like in the past there was a part from BC Broncos that people recommended but can't remember what it was. I have the following parts:

Transmission
Adaptor

Need to purchase:
Twin stick
Master/Slave for a 97 F250 (looking at this: )

I know I need to fab up the piece for the clutch pedal to the master as well as I will need to fab the cross-member. After it is in, I'll need new drive shafts.

While it is all out, I will be re-sealing the Dana 20 (it works great, just has some minor leaks and why not, this is the downward spiral after all).

What else am I forgetting?

Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The BC part is the hose for the master to slave cylinder.

Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah it's pretty bad I just checked it out. I was able to search "zf hose" and find more than using their product catagories. You may be able to have a local hydraulic shop make the line instead of using BCB. They aren't my favorite vendor.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ordered on Sunday night. Both BC and rock auto showed today. Jb fab twin stick should be here on Friday. Guess I need to make this happen. Image

Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, the old NP435 is out.

Now I need to get the Dana 20 cleaned up and resealed. How hard is it to do?

Anyone need an NP435 with adapter?

Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sealing the D20 is easy, grab a couple of output seals, front & rear, and a PTO cover seal and your done. Check the yokes for wear where the seals sit, if they are bad you may want to get replacements or they’ll continue to leak.

Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Felt like I should do an update. The ZF project is taking forever due to my travel schedule. We got the transmission in back on Memorial Day weekend. Got the cross member finished in August. This weekend, I got the master cylinder in and modified the clutch pedal.

Sadly, it appears the slave is bad. I know @Eck ran in to this. Have been trying to bleed it for hours and no change in pressure. So, transmission gets to come back or.

I had bought Luk for both the master and slave thinking it might be better. Evidently, that doesn't matter as pretty much all of them have the same reviews.

I'm back on the road for the next two weekends so it will have to wait again. Might try and get the measurements for the driveshafts so I can get those going. Maybe if they come in, I can do another wrench day to try and get it all going in one shot. ImageImage

Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If it makes feel any better you're still going faster than I would. I spent the extra for a Sachs master and slave because of Eck's experience and had no issues with bleeding.

Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking online, it doesn't show that the Sachs fits. My ZF is out of a 97 F250. It's the 47 and not the 42 version.

Wonder what is different between them.

Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

No idea, but mine is a 42

Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What's more interesting is the Luk part is the same for 96 and 97. Guessing that 97 is just a bit of an odd ball as it was the end of the line for that transmission in the trucks. Probably no difference. Rock Auto has the Sachs for half the price of the local stores. Might have to try it.

Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9