[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Project Downward Spiral
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Project Downward Spiral 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Project Downward Spiral
Slide a washer between the hinge & post. Doesn't have to be permanent, just see what differerence it makes. Then pick up a proper shim the correct thickness. Or cut the washer into a U shape & drop it over the bolt, when you know how thick.

Sorry it's hard to explain without pics sometimes.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Project Downward Spiral
I have heard some of the new hinges have a slightly different bend in them, some have heated then pressed them to take some of the bend out others have done what was suggested in shimming one side. Where did you get the new hinges? There is a thread on Cb.com about it I will dig up.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunni FTW! A single washer behind the inside bolt took care of it. My wife's exact words were "no freaking way". I'm not sure if she was more surprised that the single washer fixed it out that we lines the door up perfectly on the first try (or both).

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, the cold weather has set in and has really kept me unmotivated from working on the Bronco. The main reason being that I can't do anything that requires epoxy due to the fact I can't keep the metal (or the garage) over 65 degrees.

The wife and I have been talking a lot about what do I want out of the Bronco when it's finished (yeah, like that actually happens). Our debate largely centers on the fact that she likes the LUBR look and I'm torn on whether I want to cut it or not.

In addition, she's hinting at the fact that I could do more on it than my current budgeted amount allows based on our family budget. This led to the "well, what needs to be done for it to be done?" question (a very dangerous question). So, I sat down and went with a high-tech version of the Roadkill task list (used OneNote instead of a giant piece of cardboard).

Since, I'm using this thread more of a journal of my build, I figured I should drop the current list in. It's a whopper. My next steps are to figure out what I can do now and how I can make it work so I can drive it a bit in between some of the bigger components. Comments welcome but unnecessary. Really just trying to motivate myself by finding small things I can do to continue the progress. Without further ado, here's the list:

Body Work:
Finish rear quarters (Decide between cut/uncut)
Finish drivers side rocker
Re-do upper seat platform?
Cowl
Tailgate
Fenders
Door skins
Repair bottom of doors
Fix window frames
Seam Seal
Final paint (Hot Ginger Metallic - Paint Code Z)
Ranger Stripes

Mechanical
Engine
Machine Work:
1. Block
2. Heads
New Parts:
1. Cam
2. Valve Springs
3. Rebuild kit (Pistons, Rings, Bearings, etc.)

Re-surface flywheel
New Clutch
Paint block
Assemble Engine
Install Engine
2-1 Exhaust

EFI:
1. Need computer programmed
2. Finish looming harness
3. New fuel lines
4. Fuel pump

Transmission
Paint Transmission
Install transmission
Fabricate new cross member
Master Cylinder
Driveshafts (rebuild - shorten/lengthen)

Materials required:
1. Master/slave cylinder
2. ZF adapter

Rear Axle
Install disc brakes
Extend passenger side emergency brake line
Paint
Re-gear (4.11 vs 4.30)

Front Axle
Re-gear (4.11 vs 4.30)
Re-seal
Paint

Brakes
New Master Cylinder
Hydroboost (Ebay bracket?)

Steering
Re-seal steering box
Re-build while it's out to a 4-turn?
Paint steering box

Suspension
New 2.5" lift (Wild Horses, Duff or ???; Pretty sure I want Deaver springs)
Bilstien Shocks
Extended Radius Arms
Decide if I want to go 4-link in the rear for a better ride. Would do Duff's most likely. This also depends on whether I go cut or uncut.

Miscellaneous
Replace Headlight switch
Straighten or replace bumpers
Build Stealth rear bumper
Rebuild Heater box
1. Purchase re-seal kit
2. Upgrade blower/squirrel cage
Re-wire entire vehicle
Carpet (BroncoHut)
Ranger panels (Door and Quarter Panel)
Cage (Front pillars like Digger's)
TrailMax II Fold and Tumble rear seat
Horn bar
Decide on wheel/tire size combo (17"?)
Steering stabilizer (if needed)
Upgrade Headlight wiring
Upgrade headlights
Verify all marker lights work
Rebuild Speedo
New weather seals all around
Grommets for unused firewall holes
New firewall insulation
New dashpad (BroncoHut)
Bluetooth based stereo system (find a way not to cut into the quarter panel pieces)
Ranger chrome trim pieces
Side emblems

Thanks for following and the positive encouragement throughout the years!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What are your goals with the rig? As in, what type of use are you planning for it?

Reason I ask, is if you are planning to wheel and want larger tires, you might also consider porting your steering box for ram assist while it's out.

Outside of that, it seems you have a great plan in place, but it's quite a list! Just keep plugging away at it. I think if it were me, I'd try to tackle the things that make it safer first (brakes) and then reliable (EFI) and drive it as much as you can in the mean time.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Shocks and lift for sure. I think the new springs & good shocks will surprise you how they ride. Not sure about long arms & 4 link with a 2.5" lift, especially uncut. I really wouldn't consider either unless you want a very capable off road truck.

I agree with JD. Get it running and enjoy it & reevaluate what you want to do with the truck. Then tackle individual or highly focused projects, one at a time. There is nothing worse than having a boat anchor sitting in the garage. Ask me how I know.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, to be fair, I probably should have added more context to the post that gave the task list. When I first started this project 2 years ago, I did it with the thought I was just going to throw an Explorer motor that I got a great deal on in and run it. Then the body work started and I still only had the intention of doing what was needed to get the motor in. As we all know, one thing leads to another and I went down the rabbit hole of chasing rust.

I originally thought I would have a cut Bronco and would put a 3.5" lift in to get to 35" tires. Mainly, because I figured I was only doing enough sheet metal to get the engine in. I had already done the 1-ton TRO steering with this in mind (that was part of the downward spiral of doing the disc brakes upfront).

Now that I have uncut quarters again, I am in the quandary of whether to re-cut them. My wife really likes the uncut look and I do like the LUBR look. Asking what I want the Bronco to be when I am finished is probably along the lines of asking "what do I want to be when I grow up?". If I keep it uncut, the long arms and 4-link wouldn't happen.

Things that will happen for sure:

1. EFI 351w (already have the F4TE block, again, got it stupid cheap and now have everything but just need to rebuild it)
2. Hydroboost

Those are probably the only committed things at this point. I spent part of today looking at LUBR pics and might have convinced myself that a LUBR on 31's might be a great spot to take this. I have a ZF (the later 47 model) sitting in the garage that came with the 351w that I could use and get away with keeping the 3.50 gears so that I can have a decent low range and highway gears. I want to keep a manual in the truck.

I've been at a stuck place since I couldn't get all the metal I needed sprayed with epoxy before it got too cold so the truck isn't really going anywhere any time soon. That and I'm really not happy with the drivers side quarter lines which means I've got work to do there.

If I got the drivers side quarter and outer rocker in place, the only things needed to drive it safely would be to re-seal the power steering box (out on the bench for that now) and to replace the master cylinder for the brakes. The brakes themselves (disc front, drum rear) are in great shape and stop well. The only reason to do the rear disc is that I have the Torinio style 9" and I have the entire 8.8 Explorer disc setup sitting in the garage (basically got the parts for free 4 or 5 years ago).

Everything else on the list is more of a "would like to do" to make it "perfect". I really have to decide if I am building a trail rig or "re-doing a classic" that will be taken on easy trail rides and driven on the street. I know I want a finished truck that can be driven so that limits some of the modifications right there. In regards to the suspension, it has an old KBarS 2.5" lift on it now. It works but I would love to have something that doesn't jar my fillings loose when you roll over a quarter.

So, there you have the context. Just need to get on my horse, re-seal the power steering box, and start the hydroboost so that when spring arrives, I can finish up the body work and maybe get to drive it to one of the breakfasts. :)

Thanks for the responses. This is one of those discussions that could be had over beers or coffee and the conversation would probably go on forever, kind of like this post and hopefully not this thread.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

With the amount of body work you have already tackled, I'd hate to see you smash it up on the first trail ride. I think you might be happier with a LUBR that can do mild trails and street well. Then if you decide you want to tackle something tougher, then you can burn that bridge when you get there. I'd be inclined to build another machine for the trail (ideally a bronco, but there are far cheaper rigs to build) and keep this one for your cruiser. But I also know that that isn't a reality for many of us. Myself included. My hands are full keeping up with one steed!

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Your list isn't too bad, the body work your doing is a major "Big" item and the process is slow but once that's done I think you'll see the check list items cross out much faster. Keeping it a LUBR or going 35's is a tough one, I think one thing to consider for the stance is not just the look you both like but maybe the ride comfort of the two designs (if any). Are your plans for day use or possibly longer road/trail trips.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, the breakfast yesterday was a good one and definitely helped motivate me a bit. Had a lot on my plate this weekend but was able to re-attach the grill to check for fitment.

Prior to re-attaching, I beat a few of the dents out. Not too bad, I need to measure them again. Two of the three will be fine with a little skim coat of filler. The larger one probably needs a bit more work.

Anyways, here's the obligatory pic of the grill back on. Was able to get all but one bolt back in. The passenger side fender is a total cheapy replacement from 20 years ago and doesn't fit exactly right. Not going to sweat it as I want to replace both front fenders at some point.

In the one step forward, two steps back category, my 4-Runner's battery died this week. I hadn't focused on it cause I had no where to go. Looked and saw it was 7 years old and realized it was the same size as the Bronco (24F). Swapped it in so I could get to my meetings this week. Will have to go pick another one up here soon.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wife convinced me to pull the trigger on new wheels (cause she's also wants me to get the new tires to go with them). I am planning to go with the "old school" look so I bought the Wheel Vintiques 15x7's. Here's a quick pic of them next to my original stock steel wheel:

Just need the weather to warm up so I can get back to spraying epoxy and doing the body work after taking the winter off.

Last edited by phyler on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Are you linking from google? You have to put those pictures into a shared album, then link them from there.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I see it now! Looks cool! I wonder if anything can be done to prevent them from rusting in the usual spots?

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am

[quote="phyler"]Wife convinced me to pull the trigger on new wheels (cause she's also wants me to get the new tires to go with them). I am planning to go with the "old school" look so I bought the Wheel Vintiques 15x7's.

Nice Rims! Its always a good day when the president ok's a Bronco purchase

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 am

[quote="phyler"]
I'll have to bring you yours back soon. Maybe you can give some body work tips when I do.

Np Whenever you in the neighborhood just give me a call/text I'm usually in the garage most evenings.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Using this check-in point as a bit of motivation. Got the new wheels painted. Bought the Wheel Vintiques in a 15x7 with 4" back space in order to hopefully put some 33x10.5 BFG Mud Terrains on them.

Here they are next to the stock wheel:

Some paint shots. Did 4 coats of color with VHT rattle can and 3 coats of clear (used VHT as well):

Then this showed up today. Guess I need to hope the weather really turns warm so I can spray the epoxy and primer that is in these boxes.

Next up on the list: Finish the drivers side rear quarter, drivers side rocker, lower cowl, move rear axle back 1", replace master cylinder, new tires, drive!

Here's to summer!

Thu May 03, 2018 3:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Been too long since I updated this thread. Got the new tires on the wheels. Went with 33x10.5 KM3's.

Here is a before (note that evidently the Bronco is growing foliage from not moving):

After:

Got the driver's side rocker installed:

Got the new lower cowel:

Started ripping out the lower cowel (I did not take pics of the backside of where I attempted to weld in a patch back when I was learning to weld, it was UGLY):

Got some epoxy sprayed and am pretty pleased at my first attempt with body filler:

Thanks for keeping on with me!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

thank you for the pics of the cowl replacement.............makes me less intimidated to tackle mine

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

LOVE the stance of your, New to You, LUBR!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Nice job Adam!
Glad to see you making headway on the cowl/paint and man those K3 looks AWESOME on the silver rims.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Digging the look! Keep at it!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got the lower cowl out and cleaned up the channel under it. While there was a lot of junk in there, the metal is thankfully very solid. Looks like Ford had sprayed some sort of epoxy or something in there that just flaked out leaving the metal behind. I also wish I was ready to rebuild my heater box as with the cowl out, it makes it super easy to get to the defrost.

I do have two questions for the crowd though, first, for those that have done EFI and have mounted the computer in the middle of the firewall, did you use a box from an Exploerer or Escape? If so, is there really enough room? I did some basic measurements and I'm not sure it will fit. In addition, the heater control comes out right where the computer would live. I'm guessing I can move that pretty easily but would love to know what others have done. Was thinking of installing the box while the cowl is off if it would make it easier. I probably won't be able to install the EFI motor for another 6-8 months.

Second question, I have the original insulation that Ford put in there and it's in good shape. Is there something I should consider replacing it with? Should I consider buying some Dynamat or something like that instead?

Thanks!

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next