[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - First Time Bronco Owner - 1969 Bronco
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 First Time Bronco Owner - 1969 Bronco 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post First Time Bronco Owner - 1969 Bronco
Joined the site a couple years back when I bought my 69 Bronco, unfortunately it has sat for a little over 2 years at this point. Looking to finally get started on this project, got lots of ideas but not sure where to start. The steering is terrible and it has a short somewhere. I feel as though I will probably strip it down and start from scratch. Thinking full widths and a 351W for starters.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: First Time Bronco Owner - 1969 Bronco
Well, you've taken the most important first step: saying hi. Lol

What's your current steering system consist of?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome! What's the end goal? Will it be pretty and for running around town or a wheeler? I'm assuming the latter, given that you bought a built rig already. Start by going through each system go ensure reliability before you start modifying. Wheel bearings, brakes, steering etc. That way you've got a useful baseline to see what you do and don't like. Post up what it's currently got as well, as it'll help us spend your money, I mean guide you.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's a good looking soft top! Wonder where I've seen that before???....

Good looking rig man! Can't wait to see what you do to it ;)

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Shoot us some pictures of the steering from the front side. When you say it is terrible, does that mean it's loose, bump steer, other, all of the above?

When was the last alignment? Do you have numbers?

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last edited by pgilbeau on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome!

That front suspension actually looks to be a nice set-up if it is done properly. More adjustability than radius arms and, likely, better travel. Again, if it is done properly. I know it is similar to what a couple of others have done here just recently. I would sort out the steering issues before committing to scrapping the front suspension and starting fresh. It appears, from little I can see in the pic, that there is a big drop pitman arm but no drop on the trac bar. The drag link and trac bar should be as close to parallel to one another as possible to get the best/lowest amount of bump steer. I would also guess your caster if off. Caster is an easy one to adjust with that type of suspension. That helps tremendously with stability at speed.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, I am definitely open to advice. I have done radius arms with coils on other vehicles in the past so I guess maybe I am more comfortable with it. I am going to start looking into this set up and see what I can figure out. I still want to go full width and high pinion regardless of radius arms or the current set up.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Radius arms with trac-bar is still one of the best balances between complexity and function for locating a front axle.

I would agree with CrawlerCreations that sorting out your current issues first would be beneficial. Even if you scrap the current setup, what you learn can be applied to the next iteration.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm just finishing up installing almost exactly the same suspension you've got already. What you have is a radius arm setup, but it will flex better than a Duff kit depending on how the front of the arm mounts. The Fox coilovers are a really nice thing to have. I agree with Crawler-make sure everything is in good shape and that the alignment is in spec before you tear it apart. My guess is that you've got some worn steering/suspension components or a bad alignment, and that fixing it will result in a big difference. If you can, post up some more detailed shots of the front end. It'll give us a better sense of what you're dealing with. I'd be most interested in how the coilovers are mounted, the radius arm attachment points, and a front shot showing the alignment of the drag link and trac bar. I can post comparison photos of my setup for anything that's odd.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What part of Colorado Springs are you in? I'm by REI.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Went out and took some pics, there is also probably a good 4-5 inches of play in the steering wheel. I definitely need to look at the whole set up.

Last edited by pgilbeau on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I see a couple of things going on.

1) Your draglink is not parallel to the trackbar and not they same length either.
2) Your steering box is hanging really low and appears to be an angle that is nearly maxing out the rod end at the steer box at static height.
3) All the rod ends at the knuckles and pitman arm are secured with bolts. While not certain to have a problem, they are not as secure as tapered studs and can slip if not tight enough.

4) The axle side of the track bar appears to be attached to the nose of the radius arm. The radius arm bushings were not designed to handle lateral loads. They get pounded out pretty quick if used that way.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Appears to be that odd ball 70s truck steering gearbox that has a mile long sector shaft. If it were mine I'd start with a 4x4x2 steering gear, longer drag link and a new lower trac bar mount. I'd make sure to get the drag link and trac bar as close as possible to parallel to each other and see how it drives then.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Jason, you're right, that's a '69-'79 F150 steering box conversion. As has been said, I'd start by ditching that and swapping to a stock power box or a 4x4x2 mounted on the outside of the frame rail. It will meaningfully improve the alignment of the drag link and trac bar. You've got a really unusual radius arm setup. I suspect it's custom, and I'd love to get a look at it in person the next time I go through there. It's wild, whatever it is, but I'm guessing it works fairly well.

The first thing I'd do is find the nearest spouse or 5 year old and have them turn the steering wheel back and forth with the truck off while you climb around under it looking for worn parts. Start by looking at the steering shaft in relation to pitman arm movement. If the shaft moves and the pitman arm doesn't then the box has play. Bolted heims can wallow out their holes, resulting in loose steering as well. Just see what's wiggling under load. It's likely a combination of several things. I might be down that way on the 3rd or 4th if you want help.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Take a look at Trei's build. He made a set of really nice radius arms that will flex better than Duff and cost about half as much. You could easily reuse your existing brackets and upper coilover mounts. I used a heavily modified version of these brackets for mine: http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Rad ... _1465.html. I didn't build my arms, but they're the same basic design.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I could be wrong, but I believe this style of suspension is a Y-link?? It is very similar to a radius arm, but much better options for adjustment. I've done something similar to mine but I don't have the nice coilovers you have. I wouldn't ditch it, it's great for off-road. However that means it may not have the best road manners (body lean). It'd be easy to weld on replacement brackets to the FW axles.

As others have said, the track bar and steering need some work tho and a good time to do that is when you swap out to a full width HPD44. Since you're considering swapping steering boxes, look at having the new one ported for ram assist. You'll want it later as you begin to test the limits of your rig.

If it were me, I'd getting it driving nicely before I messed with the drivetrain. Enjoy it this coming summer, then plan the heart transplant for next winter. I LOVE my 351EFI/ZF5/Atlas combo! And there are options for an automatic if you prefer.

There is a lot of good work that went into that rig, but it appears to be done by someone who wasn't too familiar with broncos.

As Justin said, we're here to help you spend your money...but we'll try to steer you to do so wisely and make it go further!

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

we're here to help you spend your money...but we'll try to steer you to do so wisely and make it go further!

Now JD, that's not true. Not true at all - if it were wise - that money would not be put into an old bronco, but we will help you spend on fun stuff! This you can count on.

Actually I am going to be paying very close attention to your build. Justin, Trei, JD and a couple others on this site have already done much of the research and legwork for us to make our builds much easier without the trial and error that I would go through otherwise.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

touché Greg touché

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got some free time so I am going to start working to get this back on the road. My number one priority is to fix the steering, looking to grab a 4x4x2 box from BC Broncos and probably the reinforcement kit they offer. BC Broncos seemed to be the only ones that specifically list their steering box as a 4x4x2. Seems like getting the old box out may be a little difficult, the conversion bracket is partially welded to the frame. I also need to get a stock pitman arm and figure out what I am going to do for a drag link. Next priority is to get the gauges working, seems none of them currently work. Other things I want to get accomplished in the near future are to get the soft top back on and get the doors lined up right. Also going to start looking for a 351w and full widths.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

West Coast Broncos has 4x4x2 stuff & a great tech section & DIY 4x4x2.

http://www.wcb4x4.com/

Check with Don Allison (dalli on CCB) he has a yard full of stuff in CS. He sold me a stock arm at a very reasonable price.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, forgot about West Coast Broncos, I like what they have to offer better and the box is about $20 less.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ordered my 4x4x2 box and stuff, still need to figure out what to do for a drag link.

Last edited by pgilbeau on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

4x4x2 box and stuff came in today, hopefully have some time this coming weekend to start the process of changing everything out.

Last edited by pgilbeau on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking at swapping over to the Explorer 5.0 belt set up and wondering if anyone uses the bracket with the A/C compressor and P/S pump. I plan to keep my AGR power steering pump and don't need the A/C bracket. Found a whole set minus the fan and clutch but not sure if I should grab it.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Most do and don't mount the AC compressor.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next