[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 'Buddy'
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 'Buddy' 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 'Buddy'
Remind me what donor you got those seats out of ?

Also, what upholstery shop did you use ?

Looking good !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Would like to replace my seats as well, so very interested in what those are.

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wish I had thought to run out to the base junkyard here before our stuff shipped. Lots of Euro sport stuff here!

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The seats are out of a 2012 Mustang. A couple of fortunate things for me, they were originally cloth. Somewhere down the line the owner put in seat heaters and an aftermarket leather package. They are still manual adjusting, so they do not have lumbar adjustment, but they are VERY comfy. I know how I want to mount them, but I'll be reaching out to see if anyone is available to help fab some brackets and weld them to the sliders.

I started looking after talking to JefeAZ on cb.com. He also has late model Mustang seats and is 6'2" with no seat height issues, he believes his are lower than stock.

I got the seats from Central Auto Parts in Denver, they were parting out the Mustang after it was t-boned. Because both side curtain airbags deployed, they were letting them go CHEAP. Used L&R upholstery here in Aurora. One man shop, very reasonable. He's the one that told me the leather wasn't factory, the vinyl on the sides and back has different grain than what Ford uses. I think he said he used a VW vinyl to match. Overall they came out great and total cost was less than ordering 1 new cloth aftermarket seat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Eck was nice enough to bring over his impact today to install the Bronco Hut exhaust system, next to impossible with a ratchet, not too bad with an impact.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, is buddy rumbling to life soon ?

Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Goodness I hope so. I was actually going to post up and see if I could get some help next weekend after the breakfast.

It seems like for every step I take forward, I take 2 back. I'm spending as much time redoing things as I am making progress on new things. For example:
I was installing my new turn switch today and one of the turn signal wires got pinched and cut...
I realized that Toms sent me the wrong gas tank strap, it isn't long enough and the j-bolts don't stick through it...
Had to loosen and adjust the exhaust today because when I started looking at it, the collectors weren't seated all the way in the headers.

Anyway, the big thing I need help with is setting up the carb. Anyone interested in giving a lesson on carb setup?

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Talked to Tom's about the gas tank strap, they were kind enough to send me the correct strap for free, just had to pay shipping. It should be here in another couple of days. Good stuff.

The gas tank and fuel pump are finally all wired and plumbed.

Repaired the new turn switch, got the dash all buttoned up.

The punchlist is getting smaller, some fluids, a few wires under the hood, and the carb....gonna try to knock this out on saturday after the breakfast.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice progress. Keep it up!

I'm surprised they made you pay for shipping for sending you the wrong strap. Did you order the wrong one or did they send the wrong one?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When I called, the person told me that if I'm going to install an evil body lift, that I needed the tank for the 1"-3" lift, but that it would work without the lift until I put it on. Supposedly the stock height would not work with a lift.

Turns out, the no lift strap only works with no lift and the lift strap only works with a lift. Would've had to get both since I'm not installing the BL immediately. I'm ok with paying the $11, nice of them to not charge me for the piece.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Seriously in the home stretch now. I had a chance to get some work done today. Got the carb installed, finished the fan shroud extension, and even gave a console a new home (thanks Rox).

I do have a question: i don't know what the 2 lines in the last picture are for. The one on the left has a short rubber line on each end, and 2 mounting brackets attached to the hard middle section. When I pulled the drivetrain, it was hanging of the drivers side rear of the engine, I have no idea what it connects to. the one on the right has a very short piece of hose on one end and a threaded flare fitting on the other. I crawled under looking for anywhere that could connect, but no luck. Hoping someone here has an idea.

I'm hoping to drive Buddy out of the storage unit this weekend!

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I found a picture from disassembly that shows the line with the red hose on the end. Does this help anyone? Emissions stuff?

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The red one looks like the manifold vacuum line. Connects to the little valve on the bottom of the C4 with the green line around it.

Is the other one a fuel line from the pump up to the carb?

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

By now you've figured out the one line is for the exhaust heat riser. The other looks like the fuel line between pump and carb.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spent the afternoon finishing some wiring, got the ignition module all wired up. Also got the radiator hoses installed, the top one fits perfect, but I need to trim another little bit off the radiator end of the super duty lower. It's a little too close to the lower passenger side pulley.

My power steering hose should be ready on Tuesday, then I'll just need to mount my P/S cooler, run some grounds, and test the harness.

My lovely wife was also nice enough to come over and clean up the inside.

So close....

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got the power steering pressure hose made today. Installed it and the power steering cooler.

Finished the last of the harness wiring.

I put a hose clamp on the bottom of the fan shroud extension to hold the lower hose away from the edge of the aluminum.

Gonna try to start it up tomorrow.....

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fluids, fluids, fluids.

You can put 4-5 qts in the C4 before starting (in addition to the fluid in the converter). Then start it to get the last 3 or 4 in. Stop adding when you see fluid at the tip of the dipstick.

Make sure you have oil in the tcase (it's happened before). Make sure the tcase is in gear.

I recommend running straight water on the first startup. If you find a leak it'll be easy to drain out to fix. Once you're satisfied there are no leaks and the cooling system is working well just drain it and refill with coolant.

Use high zinc motor oil or a break-in additive for the flat tappet cam. You want lots of oil circulation during break-in. Don't let it idle, run it around 2,000 rpm for 20 minutes. Then let it cool off. Watch temps, look for leaks and listen for strange noises. Have some spare water to spray on the radiator if it starts getting hot.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I brought my timing light to work if you need it

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Anyone know a good shop I could take my carb to?

I've been battling a few nagging items. I had a fuel leak when I tried to fire it up last weekend. Got a chance to chase that down today, turns out I just didn't get the fittings tight enough near the fuel pump.

I used B.O.B.s timing light, and I know I'm getting spark, but it won't run. I took the top plate off the carb, and the bowl has fuel in it. I don't know what to do now. I honestly just want to be able to drive it and I think it would be easiest to have a shop fix it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Shop suggestions?

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's set to 10* before TDC per Viper's recommendation. I used to timing light to see that I'm getting spark, and fuel is getting to the fuel bowl, but it doesn't seem like it's getting into the intake. I have someone coming over tomorrow to give me another set of hands to try and diagnose. If that doesn't work, I'm going to take it to a shop....

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

First, I would to thank all of you for your help and advice whenever my inexperience reared its ugly head. Specifically Phil, Jeff, and Eck for letting me come hang out, learn and ask ridiculous questions. Thanks to Chuck for loaning me the hoist, stand, and other misc things to help with the rebuild. Bobby, thanks for the help. Thank you to Phil, Chad, Greg, and Chris for the random parts that helped this go back together. I'm sure I'm missing a few folks, and I know there will be more as this progresses further.

A friend of mine came over today to help diagnose the non-start issue. Apparently when my dad and I rebuilt the carb, we didn't thread the seat for the float needle completely in. As a result, the float barely moved, and the needle was cutting off the flow of fuel from the line to the carb. Also one of the jets was clogged. Once we got that sorted out, it fired right up! https://youtu.be/V3BsP5nTUA4

Idle is sitting around 700, temp is hovering around 190*, oil pressure is stable around 45.

Shaunda and I took a short ride to grab dinner to celebrate.

Better video coming soon.

Despite multiple attempts with the exhaust, I have a leak at the passenger collector/header and the upper radiator hose is hitting one of the supports across the hood. I have a body lift to put on to fix the clearance issue.

Last edited by BroncoRaider on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

https://youtu.be/rHYxLX4LdrI

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congratulations! That's awesome.

Glad you were able to work through the problems yourself. Always beats taking it to a shop.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Way to keep on it Tim! It's a much more gratifying feeling to have done it yourself and as Gunni said, better than taking it to a shop. Now you have a better understanding and if it happens again, you'll know where to start in fixing it...

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats on getting it going !

I really like the looks of the fan shroud extension.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think the extension turned out really well. Thanks for the aluminum Hockeydad!

Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats! That has to feel good.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next