[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 66 'restoration'
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 66 'restoration' 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 66 'restoration'

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for all the info. I forgot about the fender brace, I got that too. I'm glad to hear it's a Budd body.

Back on the mirror topic. My truck has an aftermarket electric wiper set up. I'd love to add the 66 rear view mirror, but is there a good looking way to keep the electric wipers & add the mirror? Seems that any electric wiper cover, is going to interfere with the mirror mounted to the frame. If adding the mirror requires vac wipers or exposed wiper linkage, I'm not 100% sure I want to make the change.

The Stroppe hole seems like a cool place, too.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would think you could just "Dremel" out a little notch at the bottom of the wiper cover so the mirror can hang out without interference.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've done some reading on CB.com about these early trucks. I still have a bunch of threads bookmarked, for future reading. But I have come up with some info.

Both mirror ideas are good. I need to pull the electric wiper motor cover and see if the window frame was drilled for a mirror. From what I've read, there was a glass mounted mirror shown in some sales lit, and there may even have been some trucks sold without rear view mirrors. I'm not 100% on the no-mirror-option, I've read so much it starts bleeding all together.

There were several hoods on 66's. According to one person on CB, I have the 2nd gen hood.

1st gen
get-attachment-5.aspx.jpeg

2nd
get-attachment-12.aspx.jpeg

Also there was a sheet metal air box (not sure if its driver or passenger side) that was only on the earliest trucks. I don't have one. According to one post on CB, it means my truck likely didn't have the eyebrow grill. But that's just one opinion. It seems October, maybe November, 65 was the end of the eyebrow grill. So mine is right on the cusp. And maybe this disqualifies my truck as a truly "early build".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Your short kick panels and door posts combined with the bolt on firewall/wheel well reinforcement pretty much make your truck a lock as an "early build".

Also, check the platform under your driver seat. The vertical portion that faces the door should have an indentation, rectangular in shape, for a Ford badge. If it doesn't, Budd build.

Definitely start comparing notes with Colby45. His truck was made on day 1. Like, no crap, no doubt about, made on day 1. His VIN number is THAT low.

The Terrible One

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the lead, I'll look his up.

I'm sure its a Budd body, too. I'm just saying by October, there were maybe already changes to production happening. It really wouldn't matter to 99.9% of people.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have the metal air box. My understanding is that many of the metal boxes were replaced because they got clogged up with leaves and debris and rusted out. I must say that I am impressed with the longevity of the early 66's ( At least the one I have ). Mine was originally sent to the twin cities DSO and made its way from N Dakota to S Dakota to Wyoming and finally to Colorado. Logically, one would expect a lot of rust based on where it has been yet my 66 survived much better than both my 68 and 74.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks for the great info. I have a Nov. 65 bud body that is radio and sun visor delete. It came w/a snowplow that looked like dealer installed and full time hubs.
The door posts and jams are solid but has lots of rusty panels. It came from NH where I am. The air box vent is plastic and it is a u150 w/bulkhead. The rear view mirror looks like the one shown here. The good part is that it has just under 15k orig. miles. Color is sahara beige.

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

15k original miles, that is awesome. I'd love to see some pics.

I'm glad my thread has been a help. Once you get down to it, these 66's are a different breed. Just saw last night, that some 66's had vac wiper motors with "helper" handles. So you could wipe your windshield by hand, if you were sitting at idle and the wipers weren't moving under their own power. LOL.

Thanks!

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The amazing akaFrankCastle found me a metal air box in great condition. I didn't even know these existed a week or so ago, now I have one for my resto. I really never thought I'd see one, let alone get to put one in my rig. Thanks so much, this truck is going to be awesome. I'm beyond thankful.

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow! Now that thing is cool! Congrats on your rare find :):):)
Ole Zac, he's a pretty good Cat, always going out of his way to help his Bronco brotheren!
... now if I could only get him to take pictures of his shocks for me ???

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You've got a headliner in the truck right? If you can get a peek behind it, see if your support ribs are bolted on versus welded in.

The Terrible One

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ahh, perhaps it was. I remember that same lever and access to fresh air. I kinda miss that feature on newer vehicles!

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just saw this thread. Anytime you want to compare notes or anything on the early trucks, let me know!

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awesome, thanks. Maybe when I'm up in Denver sometime. I'd love to look your truck over.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Definitely! Give me a holler and I'd be happy to show it to you anytime.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Another odd 66ism is the passenger side door lock. Some ( mine included ) don't have a key lock on the outside of the passenger side door. If you want to open the door for your wife you have to go in through the drivers door to unlock the passenger side door than get your ass back out to walk around and open the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Honestly, I don't know the details on the doorlock. At first I thought mine was like that because it was originally a roadster and didn't have doors. However my doors are from another 66 BRONCO and are original. I have also seen two other 66s that are like that.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Passenger side door lock was an option in '66. I don't know when it became standard, but I would imagine it was probably after Broncos went into full production mode. Makes no sense to have non-lock door shells on hand for the one to two orders per month they might not have required them. Adding them to all doors simply makes better financial sense.

The Terrible One

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The option was probably $5 or less. That's the kind of thing my dad would have considered to be an unnecessary expense.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's a pretty cool tidbit of information. It's amazing what they considered options back in the day.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Added running list of hard-to-find 66 items I'm needing. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Is there a tailgate silencer on 66 models? and is it 66 specific? Mine is homemade, and I don't know what should be there.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next