[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Rookie with a Basket Case !
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Rookie with a Basket Case ! 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Rookie with a Basket Case !
Newbie to the forum and a Bronco Rookie. This is my very first post.

I bought my bronco without any support and against other's (smarter than me) recommendations. My New Englander friend said " oh, you bought a basket case, good luck with that".

So I bought a Bronco... in pieces. It was a "project" car "ready for paint and assembly" ha!. No work has started since my purchase, and being a rookie mechanic and Bronco newbie, I am taking my time to understand exactly what I have gotten myself into, and what need to be done.
It came with a bill of sale (form out of state), yes Im a risk taker - I bought a basket case - I was told it was pieced together with best parts from 3 separate broncos. After my Vin verification with CSP I have at least a '72 frame and '74 body. I understand the value is lowered by non matching VINs- but not to me! I'm going to build and drive this rig. My title woes would be easier if I could make my Bronco "roadworthy" in the next 1 year 11 months 6 days and 7 hours.... my notarized bill of sale expiry date. I will apply for a rebuilders title sometime. No rush to do this, as a new VIN number will be created and I'll have to trailer the old girl back down to the CSP for a VIN installation!

It came with a lift kit, from the measurements I have taken, it seems a 5.5" suspension lift (no front shock not installed (or included), and I'm questioning whether the rear shocks have sufficient travel)
2" body lift - incorrectly installed.
351 W block/ heads with some parts included for it's installation (shorty headers, painless wiring harness, ignition, EFI ready tank, etc. )
AOD rebuilt transmission already mated to rebuilt NP205
35" tires, rebuilt Dana 44 front end & ford 9" rear end with (4) Disc brakes already installed

After a bit of inspection work I have discovered the body need to be lifted and body lift corrected (bushings moved to the top side of the frame) - I think this will be the first step.

My primary concerns are working with some of parts I purchased:

351 requires a minimum of 1" body lift (so I read) - I've got 2" - check
351 requires bronco specific oil pan - not sure on this one - the pan installed does not appear that it would interfere with the front diff, as it deeper towards the rear (only)
TBP sells an AOD cross member kit ( I will need this or something like it here - the temped in cross member blocks the front side of the transfer case
351 to AOD requires a specific Flexplate to be used

I had previously considered ditching the motor/tranmission and going with something more modern. But as long as it will fit and be drivable I think I'll be ok with the 351. If you have an opinion, please share!
I am also contemplating purchasing a crate 351 in an effort to save time. Im sure I'm forgetting some details/ personal dispositions, but enough ramblin'

I have boxes and boxes of parts waiting for install, and a long road ahead of me. Sounds like fun,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:36 am

Post Re: Rookie with a Basket Case !
Welcome to CCB !
The Bronco look good from the driver side, Mix/Match numbers who care's as long as you can get it registered.
Sounds like you have a good parts collection can't wait for the build thread. I'm also a Bronco Rookie and would be lost without the help and knowledge on this forum. Depending on your work schedule / "free" time you should be able to get it rolling by your time line if not just throw more money at it icon biggin

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome,

The 351 is a great motor for your Bronco. You'll spend a lot more money trying to fit a more modern motor.

Think seriously about EFI. The altitude makes carbs prone to vapor locking. EFI helps minimize that, and helps with crawling/off angle reliability.

Talk to EFIGuy here about putting 96-01 Explorer EFI on it. If you do that you might think about a 4R70W trans from an Explorer too. Its a great transmission, with full electronic control from the Explorer ECU. EFIGuy can tune the shifting. The AOD can work with the Explorer EFI, I'd think. You'll find lots of help, and fans of the Explorer EFI here.

Or you can do one of the throttle body EFI units out there.

Good luck.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome to CCB !

There are several of us who have done the 5.0 and 5.8 EFI conversions with 4R70w electronic overdrive transmission

In fact, a freshly rebuilt one available from our resident trans guru.

What did the 351w come out of and what is it’s condition ?

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for feedback. The 351 has the complete motor, except valve covers - AND it's missing everything from the intake up. The seller didn't really give me much history on it, other than saying he thought it "needed rebuilding". I plan to pull a piston to have look in the in the near future.

I will definitely do EFI , no matter what engine I end up going with, thank you for confirming that!

As mentioned before I am working backwards to see what might be wrong with the work that has already been completed. It appears (to me) that the rear shock angle is really odd/shallow (its approx. 45 degrees), and it appears to only have about 1.5" of travel possible (at the shock) prior to hitting the bumper which is about 1.5" long . Please take a look (at the attached pictures) and let me know what you think. I would think this would equate to about 3.25" total vertical movement if the bumper compressed 50%.... so what I am missing? (other than several inches of travel)

Also anyone know why my passenger rear quarter has what looks like a fuel tank hole? (one picture of this mixed in - Ill work on photo order in future posts)

Thank you!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Upper shock mounts are stock. Lower mount should be on the lower/rear of the axle, not on top.

There was no stock gas tank on the passenger side. Could have been a spot on for the exhaust maybe (just a guess). Definitely custom.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The lower mounts appear to be factory welded to the replacement axle. So it sounds like I need to cut those loose and move the back side of the axle, and get some new shocks...

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Maybe not a factory axle? Weird.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

yes, you're right. replacement axle!

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like you really have some great bones there and a true bronco enthusiast, such as you have found here, can see it's potential! So...the biggest issue I see is staying motivated to complete it. Well..."complete" is a relative and fluid term in these parts. But stick with it! If I were to tackle something like this, I think I'd get a big spiral notebook with dividers in it separated into body/suspension/wiring/etc. and makes notes as you go. So that when you get stuck or tired of working on one part, you can switch gears and make a note of what your progress has been. Otherwise you may end up reassessing your progress at every turn. Or I would at least with my feeble mind!

My questions is, what are your plans with this rig? Are you going to keep on the street or easy dirt roads or do you plan to take it out 4x4ing? From here, there are certain things that can be done to make it better in one of those areas. It also depends on how serious you want to get with the 4x4 part if you choose that path.

I ran my exhaust thru that area:

Thru these rings I made:

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks, I think that a spiral notebook is a great idea for me to stay organized, and like your advice to switch between build areas to stay motivated.
Complete for me will be as bare as possible - electrical working for signals & ignition, engine running with power steering & power brakes and a speedometer? ( as little as the CSP will consider "roadworthy" !) .
I think that'll meet my definition for complete for now. and I guess 2 seats bolted in with belts.
I plan on only "on the street or easy dirt roads" with my Bronco. The prior owner had more off-road planned than I do. I don't think that the hole was used for exhaust, as the inner fender is too close to route pipes, so I think the mystery is still unsolved. Thank you also for seeing it potential, not all do!

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Have a hole in the same location but on the driver side, was for a aftermarket gas tank. Had a stub of a metal filler tube and a flex hose to the tank. Had to pitch it due to the cap didn't fit well and water and dirt in the tank.

Rob

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OK, so after a month of research I may change directional course, and this new course may not be a highly supported move in these here parts......
So to pick up a 351 crate motor, add the EFI & intake, do an exploder serpentine set up was going to be cost about... 4-5k. The motor and intake were most of the cost, and in an effort to move quickly I was wanting to go with a crate motor and not rebuild the block I got with my project as its origins are unknown (but it is an '84 series 351W by serial #). I couldn't find a "junkyard" motor with low enough mileage to just drop in without rebuilding. A Explorer 5.0 swap was considered also, I found a '96 with high mileage, so it would have needed rebuilding, and add more time.

So an F-150 gen 1 coyote 5.0 with 6r80 auto transmission may the direction I head - as low milage "junkyard" motors are readily available.

Does anyone here, on the forum, have any warnings for me? This is truly the reason for my post today - to get warned by another bronco owner with experience!

I know I will be working on electrical issues, extensively. Most of them unknown to me now.
The drop in would come with xfer, and all accessories, as well, though they may need re-work to fit. That is really just a a bunch words to make me feel justified about not using a 351W. The cost is lower for the engine/trans as starting place - but junkyard vs brand new crate motor and bn efi set up

Known coyote "swap" challenges (some already remedied by online resellers Toms & BCBroncos):

1) need a new crossmember (don't have any crossmember currently - just a square 2x2 stock!
2) new radiator - either way
3) more engine bay room - my inner fenders are in the truck bed ;) waiting to be cut down prior to install.
4) Coyote swap requires steering linkage modifications, shimming of PS - I believe tighter to the driver inner fender - not sure
5) new motor mounts
6) BCBroncos claims a new timing cover is needed to not cut the frame
7) does anyone know if I can use the f-150 Xfer? I'm not seeing this done but my assumption is because most doing this swap want twin stick capability.

8) All of your additional warnings here? or written discouragement of the install.... a "swap" is for you folks who already have motors!

I may have a rebuilt AOD transmission with 0 miles to sell, anyone interested?

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you’re on Facebook, I would join this group...

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

so I've been venturing outside a bit. progress slow. still moving backwards, hoping to reach the furthest point of dismantling soon! The rear axle housing sat for years, in unfinished steel "finish" so it needed to be sanded, etched and painted. as did the fuel tank and tank skid plate. Hope to be making. bunch more progress with warm weather just around the corner - some days! Also built a wood frame and beam trolley that one day soon may lift the tub off the frame, or ALL just come crashing down to my garage floor. we shall see when that day comes.
OK , background. this is my first project of this sort. I basically am not afraid, but have essentially only done the car maintenance in the past. some progress pics from a couple of weeks ago:

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]