[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Need Some Guidance/Help
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Need Some Guidance/Help 

Post Need Some Guidance/Help
Hello, new member here. I stumbled upon this group while searching for some info. Here is my backgound story.... its a long one, hopefully you enjoy. I currently have a 1970 Bronco. My dad was the 2nd owner and gave me the car when I was 14 (it was parked in a field with weeds growing through it). I was basically told, if I want a car when I'm 16, this was it. Figure out how to get it running or continue to bum rides from people...

I did succeed in getting in running and I drove the Bronco from 1991 through 1998 and then garaged it in PA. Life took hold of me and I did lots of moving around. This past year, my dad informed me it was time to get the Bronco out of the garage in PA or he was going to sell it ,as he was selling the garage I was storing it in. Needless to say, I convinced him to tow the Bronco to his house in NC. Keep in mind this thing hadn't left the garage since 1998. The front brakes were locked up, but after adding some new gas, the engine fired up enough to load it on a trailer. While visiting my dad this summer, we were trying to get the Bronco running enough to have it shipped to CO. Did a front brake job, cleaned the carb, and put on a new fuel pump. Just about had it running enough to ship and then my dad passed away unexpectedly while I was visiting. The next day I went to move the Bronco, started it up and it had an awful knock in the motor. Shut it off immediately. First guess is it has a bad connecting rod. At any rate, my mom didn't want the Bronco in NC anymore. I rented a UHaul with a trailer and towed the thing from NC to Denver this past Sept.

Now my Bronco is sitting in my brother-in-laws garage in Lakewood. I am now in a position where I want to get this thing running again and back on the road (can't store it his garage much longer) I'm looking for some suggestions on either rebuilding the motor or putting in a crate motor? Any reputable shops anyone recommends? I'm handy in the garage, but have never pulled out a motor before. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Need Some Guidance/Help
Find an Explorer or Mountaineer on Craigslist and swap in the drivetrain. EFI Guy can handle the harness and reprogramming. This swap has been done quite a bit in this group.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:47 pm

Finding a low mileage Explorer with a good engine won't be a very easy task... How hard is it to pull my existing 302 out? Having never done it before, I'm trying to figure out if this is something I can tackle or have to find a good shop to do it?

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Need Some Guidance/Help
I’ve done quite a few gas motor swaps, carbed 302 to carbed 302, and I’ve also done the modern motor swap, roller SBF w/ explorer front dress and EFI. If I were to do any of it again I’d opt for a crate motor with a warranty from a reputable company and skip the machine shop and self assembly. It all depends on funds, time and knowledge.

If you have the space to work pulling your existing motor is straight forward, plenty of folks have motor lifts to lend and most can lend a hand or at least provide answers to common questions.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. So far, I've had Superior Engines quote me $2500 for a full rebuild + an extra $2000 for the removal and install. Any good crate motors you recommend for under $3000?

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:21 pm

Look at Blueprint engines. They offer a few different ones also. If you get a new engine a good long weekend you can get them swapped and nearly running.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you up grade to a "roller" block you will need to change harmonic balancer and flywheel. I bought a Blueprint crate motor from Summit Racing.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Welcome to the group!!!
Many knowledgeable folks on here for sure to answer anything and everything you’ll ever want to know about your Bronco.
I was in your boat, I can turn a wrench but I had never done anything like that as far as engines go and in July 2018 me and my 14-year-old pulled out the original motor and transmission and replaced it with a freshened up 302 and automatic transmission.
If you have the funds to buy brand new, I would go that route. Otherwise put as much money into rebuilding your engine and you do the Pull & replace yourself, it’s definitely doable it’s just the thought of it that sucks!!! ;)
Take lots of pictures as you go and labeled Ziploc bags are your friend!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 am

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm leaning towards doing the removal myself. Will also allow me to clean up the engine compartment too. For a newbie engine pull is it easier to remove the engine and trans together? Or remove just the engine?

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was taught to pull the motor only. Is the motor-trans thing a TV thing?

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just pull the engine by itself. It’s actually very straight forward, as mentioned just keep track of the parts you take off and throw them in labeled zip locks

I have an engine hoist you can use for as long as you need it. I live in denver, and if you swing by happy to talk shop.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Agreed. It is not horrible to pull and install yourself. In addition to labeling fasteners, you might also get a roll of painters tape so you can make tags for any other connections to the engine, like electrical, vacuum etc. Hopefully eliminating the "where does this go?" dilemma later.

Also, is the tranny ok? What tranny is it?

Lastly, when budgeting for this, you should probably add 25% to it for incidentals. You should consider new motor mounts, and you may end up rebuilding your alternator etc.. You just don't know what you'll run into with a rig that has sat that long.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 am

Lastly, when budgeting for this, you should probably add 25% to it for incidentals. You should consider new motor mounts, and you may end up rebuilding your alternator etc.. You just don't know what you'll run into with a rig that has sat that long.[/quote]

Welcome to CCB and Colorado! Very nice looking Bronco I really like the star rims!
I agree we Jesus_man on adding additional $ If its a manual transmission consider new clutch parts while its apart. Also I just started my new rebuilt motor and the cost for all the new fluid/2 old changes is crazy .

Once your ready to pull the trigger start hitting up AZ everyday and buy $21.00 worth of stuff and then you can easily rack up $80-$100 in rewards points, the sales folks don't even question when you buy sparkplugs 4 at a time icon biggin icon biggin

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:17 am

Guys, thanks so much for all the replies and words of wisdom. I've been convinced to pull the engine myself. After I get it out, I'll decide on either a rebuild or a crate motor... The trans is a 3 speed. Last time I drove it, it worked fine, but that was over 20 years ago. I'll definitely plan on putting in a new clutch.

@Landshark I'll definitely take you up on borrowing the engine hoist, I see you live in the Wash Park area? I live in Wash Park East...Would definitely love to talk shop.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

you can buy a reman 1984 351w from auto zone for 1400.00 with a 4 year warranty

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

you can get the rollor motor from them all so for around 1800.00 w 4 year warranty. also the auto zone at 104th stock them at the store on the shelf what a place. I have been building and having them built for 35 year and that is the best price anywhere and 1 of auto zone builders has a 4 year no fault warranty . most people don't under stand a no fault . that means even if its your fault that the motor goes because of no oil they will replace it at no cost for 4 years . that is why i have been putting them it all the broncos I build for the last 5 years. I have a builder he does not know how they do it he is a good builder but his price is 2500.00 and up with a 1 year warranty. no I don't work for them auto zone . just a good deal here are the photos of the last 2 for 2019

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks, excellent info on the motors. Never thought to check out Auto Zone for a reman motor. Couldn't find the same prices you are stating on their website though. Next time I'm working up by 104th, I'll stop in and chat with them...

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

so how i find a motor . is I look at all years most trucks . so if you look a 1984 ford f150 there is a v15 with 4 year warranty for 1609.99 no fault . just looked it up. i get a vet discount and it makes it 1400.00 sorry forgot about the vet discount. but it is there .

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

351w

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1994 f150 351 roller moter 1708.99 3 year warranty with out vet discount. so that price blows all the shops that I know about away . also you can get a core for about 50 and up . u pullem in littleton or off craigslist. I pays to be a SCROUNGER!!!!!!

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Make sure you wear your Depends when you go and visit Landshark...His stable is VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:44 am

Did you pull the motor out? I am in a similar spot. I just pulled the motor out of my '74 last weekend. It's sittin on the engine stand now while I decide what to do with it. For me, I prefer to keep the original motor...machine it and rebuild it. I think it will be a better sense of accomplishment in the end to keep something that was in it from the factory than to replace it with a crate motor. Picture the end Bronco you have in mind, and work backwards.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Well, I got stuck in the daily work grind and haven't started on the Bronco yet. Convinced my brother in law to let me keep it in his garage for a few more months, until I find the time to get my garage cleaned out (anyone need a treadmill?). I still haven't decided what route to go...Mine needs a ton of work, but for starters I'd like to just get it back on the road...

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]