[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 75 Bronco Build
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 75 Bronco Build 

Post Re: 75 Bronco Build
I received my front steering parts, but in the meanwhile I needed to see how the sliders were going to mount since I would like to have the cage A & B pillar's bolted to them so I "trimmed" the rockers to figure out how to secure them to the frame using 1.5x11g tubing and have a good plan but need to pick up a new 1.5 hole saw bit to finish the mock up. I'm using 2x3x11 rectangular and will be welding an additional plate to the bottom for more strength without the added weight.
The same material will be used for the rear bumper which I need to also mock since the rear tube flares need a tie in point. I made the new frame brackets using 3/16" plating to get the bumper tucked in as close as possible.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Finished up the slider mockup and both sides of the frame tie in are just tacked in place, I'm not sure on the exact placement of the sliders so for now the can slide in and out. The 3 - 1.5" holes will be capped and then I'll add some 1" tubing about 2" out along the side for a small step and some additional side protection. Also patched up the 3 rusted areas since I had the welder out.
Hopefully this upcoming weekend is nice and I can start bending the cage to check tie in points, if not I'll work on the front steering.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great work! I am anxious to see how you finish out your sliders! An interesting idea to make holes in the rec. tubing. And I wonder how difficult it'd be to sorta boat-side with that tube. In other words, make a U-shape from the tube, then kick the bottom of the U up a bit. Then stab the U-shape thru the rec. and then weld it to the frame. You could keep the rec. tube tucked under a bit offering good protection from the bottom, and then the round tube could offer side protection. But it'd be bent up a little to offer a smaller boat side effect.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 am

[quote="Jesus_man"]Great work!

Thanks,
That's actually a good idea, The sliders are angled down 3.5-4 degrees and the plan is to add some type of plating for a small boat like effect.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:34 am

My tubing bender was fab'd to fit into a 2" receiver which worked great on the XJ build but since the Bronco has no receiver hitch I needed to make a stand real quick. With the first couple of bends out of the way and the dash "trimmed" to fit the A pillar the rest of the bars should all be straight cuts and I hope to have all the floor tie points tacked by this weekend and then start on the front steering parts or maybe the engine cage icon biggin

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Great fit! And I wish my cage went thru the dash like that! I do want to make a new cage someday and I like that you have one continuous bar front to back. Mine has the main B-pillar hoop, which with the top off allows for trees to catch you when leaning over a bit. Not usually a problem in CO, but still nice to have a smooth surface to slide by on!

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:50 am

This week marks 6 months since purchasing the Bronco, My plan (so I told the wife) was to have the build done in 1yr minus paint. So far my actual time working in the garage is just over 550hr that's not including the Donor Explorer/R&D an web research, I not sure if I will make my deadline but I feel that I'm making a descent run at it. Thank goodness for RedBull!

The main parts of the cage are all in place A/B pillars are plated to the floor top and bottom and tied into the frame, still need to figure how to tie the C pillars in. I also got the engine cage/fenders and radiator mounts figured out so now I can work on the front steering and cycle the front tires to see how much I need to trim the fenders.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You are making great progress! The hours add up fast!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks great.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice work. I’m really glad you are plugging away. Too often, people get sidetracked and 3 years later the poor steed is still sitting in the garage half naked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, and finishing a house remodel, and moving 1100 miles. It's more than 1/2 together, but it isn't back in a garage yet.

BTW, great build. Sorry to gum up your thread.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks everyone, I hope to keep the garage momentum going!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:42 pm

My 2017 progress ended decent, I was able to get my steering all tacked in place and seem to have good angles when cycled I just need to relocate/make a new frame brace along with double shearing the front knuckles. I moved on to install the sliders in-order to figure out how I was going to mount the tube flares, my first though was to place "foots" at both ends which sounded good so that lead to building the front bumper (my version of the cactus basher). Once built I realized I didn't like how the front fender tube tied into bumper wing so I welded a front tube with flanges to the engine cage.
I ended up "trimming" the front fender more than planned because once I mocked up the skins the angle was too flat IMO and looked like jeep flares so I kept trimming up to the body line which gives me a 17.5 degree top flare and still able to install the OEM trim. The flare's will stick out 3.5"

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 am

second round of pics

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking good.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So much of my body damage could have been spared had I done something like this. Can't wait to see this stage progress!

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks, so far it been a fun build!

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:12 pm

With the warm weather lately, I needed to take advantage of having the garage door and use the tubing bender. I wasn't sure if I could duplicate the rear cage as on my previous XJ but I though IMO it would look cool and I've yet to see a Bronco with something like this. I want to carry a full size spare so I needed to cut a 12"+/35" hole and also relocate the tailgate latch the rest all fell into place I used 1.5 bushings on the passenger side swing and weld in clevis for the driver side. The cage sticks out 19" with just under 3' of clearance so I will be able to carry a cooler and 2-2.5 gallon gas or water cans. My next task is to start on a lo profile roof rack something to put a Cabela's soft top carrier on.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That’s wacky & I like it!

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 75 Bronco Build
I say make it swing open, not drop down, the tire would stay put and you’d gain a bit of the access back.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think I'd miss my tailgate for the purposes of a table, seat, work bench, etc...

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I see now! Are you worried about it rattling?

I think it's a neat concept for sure!

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:02 pm

On the XJ I used the bushings on both ends with no rattle and it was very secure, I'm unsure about the clevis mounts as it is steel on steel although the fitting is fairly tight and on the outside of the cab. If needed I've been known to crank up the 80's music a little while wheeling lol

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 am

I was able to mock up a roof rack this weekend, I decided to not use the soft top Cabelas bag at just over 5+' the rack seem too long and didn't look right, I will be adding an aluminum bottom along with 5 old school 6" KC lights. This still gives me about 2" to get into the garage and next comes the fun part of fabricating the front/rear hoops for the shocks.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice, the KCs will add some vintage love, I hope you put the smiley face covers on them.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next