[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Project More Metal
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Project More Metal 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Project More Metal
That's looking great!! I'm scared of tackling the inner fenders on my own, which is one thing holding me back from pushing my rear axle.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Don't be scared......its just sheet metal, if you don't like cut it out and try again.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As you know, there are other obstacles. I have no experience with body work, so I think that is my largest obstacle (well aside from $$), but I will be watching what you do closely. I have seen others too and it seems pretty straight forward. Perhaps if we end up moving to a location with very little wheeling, I will tear into it! I just don't want to end up with my bronco out of commission for more than a few months.

Are you going to run flares?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I get it. I just hope I keep up with my goal and it's out of the garage by spring. I did not know anything about body work prior to this project either. I am learning as I go....I feel like I am getting better.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:03 am

Looking good dbasile!
How much of the rear outside wheel well are you trimming if any?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So this is what I laid out for the rear opening, it kind of matches the front of the opening plus it gives me enough room to step up to 40s if so desired later.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I like the added capacity of the aero tank, but not the added depth. Installed as is the bottom of the tank sat low, it was about the same height of the springs. I opted to make some small changes to the floor to tuck it a little.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Heck Yea!
That's what I like to see, someone who's not afraid to use a cut off wheel it just sheet metal lol. The added clearance is a must thumbs up

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I like it!! Will your rear axle hit the tank on compression?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I should have about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch space between the tank and axle on full compression. Hope that's enough

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

20190308_181304.jpg20190309_151011.jpgBig progress this weekend! Front axle is in place, well kind of. It clamped in.

I am going to change the location of the track bar. I don't like where it is, it hits the cross member on compression giving me about 1 inch less up travel. My plan is to have it directly on top of the axle from a riser at the original mount to the frame. There seems to be more than enough room.

So far I am not 100% sold on the placement of my steering box, it too limits my up travel. I am wondering if pushing it forward a bit or up will help.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It looks like you are using the F150 box with a forward facing pitman arm. I reversed the valving & pitman arm and pushed the box forward. I also moved the track bar forward and found a sweet spot where the long arms hit the frame before anything else stops up travel. I figure that is the best I could do.

Edit: I am using the 78/79 F150/Bronco steering box w/reversed valving (4x4x2 box). Totally different box after closer inspection.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

As for the track bar, it is better practice for a wheeling rig to put the riser on the axle, and keep the pressure off the frame by running a short bracket. It's hard to see here, but after plating the frame, I made a frame bracket from a short piece of 2x6 steel. It is welded to the bottom and vertical side of the frame.

Here's a better pic:

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So the box is a stock 79 bronco. Went with it to avoid cutting the grill to get the forward push I wanted.

The plan was to add the riser to the axle and mount the upper on the bottom of the frame right behind the spring.

Jesus_man can you post a close up of your upper spring mount? I've seen something similar on a jeep, does it allow that much more droop?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When I was checking how to mount the box, I just put it on the frame and clamped it down. I researched how people mounted the 4x4x2 box since the exterior of that one and mine are the same. It was about a 50-50 split of people who would let rest on the frame and make a lower bracket and people who would use what existing holes they could.

On my initial trial, I did not like the fact my up travel on the driver side was going to be limited by the drag link hitting the pitman arm. Just on first glance, it looks like I could gain a couple of inched by raising the box. Before I drill any holes or weld anything in on the steering, I think I will try another location or 2 for the steering box to see what I like the most.

Gunni, I re-examined your build thread, your bolt holes did all go through the frame. I think that will give a much more positive feel in the steering.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well I have been continuing diligently in the garage on all of my off time, minus a little skiing here and there. My wife has continually referred to my bronco as my mistress.....(I'm sure I'm not the only one).

I am almost sure I will miss the first deadline of Easter Jeep week. Oh well, however progress is being made.

I welded the radius arm brackets to the frame, the coil buckets. First time since fall she sits on her own weight! In the end I have pushed the front forward about 6".

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

After I got everything mostly good, I need to see how the wheel looked. So, I think I still need to trim sheet metal.

The wheels have a lot of offset, in order to run TRO with the one tons, I need to get some spacers. My friend had some 1.25" spaces he let me use to see what my clearances looked like. It would be enough for the tie rods but still would contact the shock mounts. I went with 2" to allow full lock without contacting the shocks.

I will wait till I get the spacers until I trim the sheet metal.

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I love the plating you did on the coil towers where they weld to the frame. I want to do that as well when I finally get the chance to install my adjustable towers. What springs are you running vs net lift? I'm thinking 5 or 6 " lift springs but only netting about 3" lift.

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The springs are 5 1/2" duffs I found used. I hope to end around 3 1/2-4" if lift. I may have to change the height of the towers once I get some more weight in the truck

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd love to know where you end up.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So the progress is coming along. I feel that some times I am just spinning my wheels. I have finally installed the transmission and transfer case for good, this time, maybe...... along with triple stick for the transfer cases. I needed to trim a little more metal. When I got everything looking good there, I bent up a tunnel cover.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Never did anything like that before Huh???

Looks really Awesome!!! You give me hope that I can still do my own floor pans!

Keep Going, Very Cool!!!

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:36 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fake it till you make it! I never did anything this in depth before. I have never been afraid of something new either. The best part of you don't like the way it turned out so it again till you do. Sheet metal is sort of cheap

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm

Your tunnel cover came out great Nice Work thumbs up

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I went down into the garage Friday morning......and saw this. The plan is to leave Monday in the AM to got to Moab for Bronco Safari. I will have some long days.....I only have to plumb the brake, fuel, air, run the exhaust,replace the wiring harness, replace the interior, make at least 2 more frame tie ins for the roll cage, figure out the ebrake, fill all of the fluids and bleed everything...not too much maybe

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well its Monday morning and I am supposed to be packing for Moab and the Bronco Safari. I got a lot done yesterday, but not enough. At some point I removed by power steering pump for some reason, not sure why. When I went to put it back on, my water pump began leaking a little. I didn't think much of it and figured it would stop as soon as I got the bolts back in place. Nope, still leaked. There was't a store in town that had the gaskets either, I used the 'right stuff' to seal it, I hope I don't regret it later.

It also seems like I knock one or two items off of my punch list and 2 or 3 pop up that go onto the list.

I hope it is done today...........

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:16 am

Just keep wrenching!!
Guys don't need to pack anything, remember they have everything you could every need at truck stops icon biggin

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Keep at it!! Hope things go smoother today!

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next