[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Rear Suspension Support Question
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Rear Suspension Support Question 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Rear Suspension Support Question
2018 F150 with a leveling kit and what I am told is the Raptor suspension. Has Bilstein shocks.

I just returned from my hunting trip where I had an ATV loaded in the bed and pulled a small popup. I did have a hitch extension on so I could leave the tailgate down for the ATV. There was a considerable amount of rear sag. I also loaded the bed full of ammo and beer (used separately) for a trip to Montana and had a lot of sag without towing anything.

Soooo- I’d like to get rid of it as much as possible and was looking at these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspen ... 17-47.html

Does anyone have any experience with them? I know there is also a heavier duty version:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-TFR1504E.html

...but after reading on both, I think the 1st option would be better for my use as 95% of my use of the F150 will be with an empty load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Rear Suspension Support Question

Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Subscribed.

Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:06 pm

I'd suggest airbags. That way when not in use they can be empty and not affect ride quality. But when loaded down you can add air till you get what you want. All other helper springs will just affect ride when empty.

Or upgrade to a tremor. You know you want to.....

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Also looked at these: https://www.etrailer.com/p-RAS3611-Y.html

All 3 of them seem to claim that they don’t change the ride quality while empty and looking at the reviews, most of them confirm that.

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd 2nd the airbag option.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I understand with Airbags that you have more control over how much PSI goes in so that you have full control over it but it also seems to be another thing I have to mess with each time I load up the bed or haul something. Install and maintenance also appears to be a bit more involved.

Just curious if the recommendations for airbags is because you have experience with the other options and don't like them or that your experience is with the airbags.

The Timbren sits 1.5" above the frame so that when not loaded, it does not affect the ride quality. It only engages when there is enough load to compress it-- more of an install and forget it type of application which is what I think I like about it...

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Air bags generally get the nod for good reason. But recently I came across a new design that I thought looked very interesting. But for the life of me, I cannot find it!

Wait...here it is:

Click on Stableload on this site:
https://www.torklift.com/automotive

And a here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmOxnzz ... ernational

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

air bags, once installed most of them have wireless options with a remote and for the most part are a no brainer. Most of the good systems auto level and keep the PSI even on start up. So you rarely need to touch the remote.

Been running them on the van for almost 3 years without an issue. I run them at 40 PSI empty, 100PSI fully loaded as my rear leafs are tired.

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I use airbags on my Dodge Cummins. Always empty when not pulling. Aired when a heavy loaded. Had em on for about 5 years.
I recommend. Easy to install and not to high of a price.

Air Lift 57284 LoadLifter 5000 Air Spring Kit

Canon City, Co

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:36 pm

I ran air bags on my old chevy 1/2ton work truck. Was loaded down at all times. Just make sure you get quality air bags and leak check if you dont run onboard air. I tried some other bolt on helper style springs with zero luck.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I’ve had air bags on my trucks for years and love them. I leave about 5-10 PSI in them when not being used. I think if you were to use the other style and kept the current load it would still sag. Plus, what would look like if you bagged an elk...

Besides, buying a set of bags, air compressor whether portable or installed is still cheaper then paying thousands of dollars in registration fees for years for a new Tremor......

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You just have to be careful here. There are many other components at play here that can only take so much stress. Combining payload and towing capacity numbers gets a bit sketchy. You don't want to be the guy who brought a knife to a gun fight.

My neighbor just put air bags on his late model ram 1500 to tow a large bumper-pull camper. He seems to like them and said they did help with sway a little in the crazy wind we get up here.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think I’m going to go with bags and probably just have a portable compressor for the time being. There is an outlet at the back of the bed so shouldn’t be too troublesome to fill as needed.

Was looking at the Firestone brand as I’ve read more than a few bad reviews on the Airlift when used on F150.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I know you said you were looking for Firestone’s but let me know. I have a set of airlifts I’m not using. I’ll check to see if they are compatible with your year if you are interested. If not let me know I can see what price I can get you for the Firestones.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If it fits and Chad is interested- I think I’ll pass on them.

The Firestone option I was looking at was 2015-2020 F150 Firestone Ride-Rite Rear Air Spring Kit 2582

Let me know what you can do. Thanks Bobby!!

Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The ones I have are the airlift equivalent. Actually after looking at them they won’t fit my truck anyways because of the year( mines a 12). Let me all know.

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]