[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 7.3L diesel advice
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 7.3L diesel advice 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 7.3L diesel advice

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:11 pm

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Throw some blizzaks on the Mustang and go have fun!

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:26 pm

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Running and driving is overrated. Just ask my bronco.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 7.3L diesel advice
I hope it's only the turbo. What happened?

In other 7.3 news, I pulled the 73 back to Missouri yesterday. 600 or so miles. About 5-6k hanging off the back bumper. Didn't lose any injectors or lock the engine. 222 mile stretch at 77mph, 6-8psi, 90-110*F over ambient, and 8-10k*F on the EGTs. 12.33 mpg.

Definitely time for a regear.

Found best mpg over 70mph was at 2k rpm and >10psi.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:44 am

the thrust bearing is bad. Causes the shaft to slide over. Which means the compressor wheels kisses the compressor housing. I caught it early enough that it didnt pump tons of metal shaving into the motor. I only drove it about 2 miles once I heard the squealing. It would come and go.

So I made a phone call in hopes someone would be open today. As luck would have it Bob and dieselOrings was there. Talked to him about it for some time and decided that the best solution is go 38r. So I borrowed a car and drove out to weldona to get it.

its all back together now. I just went for a short drive to check for oil leaks is all.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:36 pm

Well I drove it around a little now. I don't like the 38r. It doesn't "hit" as hard as the stock with billet wheel did. Seems to spool a little sooner ~1400-1500rpm vs 1700-1800. But it takes a while to hit full boost. I need to go through it and check for boost leaks and exhaust leaks but im only hitting 21psi vs the old setup at 27-28psi.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Do you have a tuner on your truck Rob? I don't know much about aftermarket turbos, but I assume the compression side on the 38r is larger than stock?

Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:16 am

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

4.5 hour oil change. I rebuilt the oil cooler while I was at it.

Two weeks ago I was in KC when I notice the axle tube under the front of the truck was wet. I peered underneath and found a slightly loose hose clamp on the radiator. After I tightened it, I checked the fluid on the tube: oil. Further investigation showed my oil cooler was blowing crude past the o rings when cold. After some very anxious googling I found that the problem goes away once the motor is warm and the seals expand. I was pretty relieved as I thought I would be tearing my motor apart in MO versus CO.

Anyhow, I ordered the new o ring kit from Bob at dieselorings.com and put it in tonight during my oil change. I was due for new crude anyhow.

Needless to say, it was a messy venture. But a test fire has shown that everything is holding as it should. Which is good. Because I'm putting 1200+ miles on it this weekend.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this to anyone with 150k+ on their motors. I did not take pictures, but what I found was about 50% of the coolant passages through the cooler were clogged with crap. So, I was only getting about 40-50% effective oil cooling.

My original plan had me using the oil cooler from my builder motor. That plan was quickly scrapped when I found this.

It's full of aluminum shavings from when two pistons proved the 1220*F melting point.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's what those passages look like with a bottle cap for scale.

Not much room for error. Or crud.

The Terrible One

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow, those are small passages!!

Good work!

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow....I've rebuilt alot of those over the years in trucks with 200k plus and never seen one with as much metal in it as yours.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:01 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What kinda mechanic would just replace two pistons in an engine that suffered that kinda trauma and not tear it completely down?

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

gotcha ok makes much more sense now. I did the same thing. bought a complete 7.3 turbo, injectors, and hpop for $300. got it home and did a compression check found #8 to be 100psi. its currently in my shed and some day i'll build it but for now my 350K truck keeps running strong so it hasn't been a priority

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm getting ready to order a new ring & pinion & master bearing kit for my SD.

Ron's Machining Services was linked as a less expensive alternative to Randy's Ring & Pinion, in one of the forums I was reading. Their prices on the master bearing kits are MUCH lower than Randys or another place I checked (Filthy).

Ron's has gear & install kit package for the 10.25 (can be installed in a 10.5) priced at:

Yukon gear & USA Std bearings $400
http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/gea ... -gear-pkg/

USA Std gear & USA Std bearings $320
http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/gea ... r-package/

They don't have a 10.5" kit listed, when I spoke to them months ago, they didn't think the .25" larger ring mattered & suggested the 10.25" kit as fine.

To compare, Randy's sells the 10.25 gears & kits separate priced at:
Yukon gear & USA Std bearing: $608
https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductD ... rodID=6595
https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductD ... ProdID=253

USA Std gear & USA Std bearing: $529
https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductD ... ProdID=254

Filthy's prices were similar to Randy's, but they didn't offer the USA Std bearing set.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something critical between the products. I've never done a new ring & pinion & bearings, so I want someone else's opinon.

I'm leaning towards the 10.25 USA Std gear & bearing since I've read decent reviews of the gears, and I'm not going to be towing heavy equipment or a huge camper trailer, just the Bronco.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12