[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 7.3L diesel advice
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 7.3L diesel advice 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 7.3L diesel advice
I ran Schaeffer's oil in mine and installed a bypass filter system to extend the life of the oil changes.

Buy cycling the battery a few times will help dramatically. If you're worried about the batteries at all, turn everything else off like fans, radio etc.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How about Oil filters? I normally use the good old Motorcraft 1995 in mine. In fact, I just put in 15 fresh quarts of Delo and a new filter this evening. I'm getting ready to leave for Sacramento on Friday night or Saturday Morning. I still need to replace my upper radiator hose, hook my replacement horn up, and replace my fuel filter before I go. I'm going out empty in the F350 so my kidneys will probably get a work out but I'll probably have a thousand + pounds in the back for the return trip.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just a few notes I keep in the phone for trips to the parts store.

Super Duty services parts list
Wix oil 51734
Wix bypass 51050
Dorman oil drain plug gasket 65268
Rotella 15 quarts 15w40
Front axle 75w90w 5.9pt
Rear 85w140w 8pt
ATF mercon V 20qt (17.7)
Wix fuel 33818
Coolant filtration kit 89019
Coolant filter 89070, napagold 4070
Power steering
Brake fluid
Heavy duty extended life coolant
International fleetrite, shell rotella elc, cat elc, chevron delo elc, peak final charge, prestone heavy duty elc, zerex extreme heavy duty
4 gallons
20 gallons distiller water
Thermostat gasket f4tz-8255-a
Thermostat f6tz-8575-ea
Thermostat housing f81z-8260-ca
Upper radiator hose f81z-8260-ca
Lower radiator hose yc32-8286-ce
Degas bottle cap f6dz-8100-a

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I was using a Mobil 1 filter. Can't recall number but saw a test somewhere that rated it really well!

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:14 am

I just run the motorcraft oil filter.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

All I've ever ran was the FL1995. I also had the FS2500 oil bypass set up on the truck.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 7.3L diesel advice
Or the same ones that feel you must change the oil in the HPOP or you are destroying your engine.

The Terrible One

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think there has to be a problem with my truck.

Last night the low was around 10*. Right now the temp is 28* and I couldn't get the truck to start. I cycled the glow plugs for about 1 minute and tried to start it. Did that about 3 times before the batteries were noticibly weaker. Got white smoke, so I know its got fuel.

I know the diesel treatment will help, but that is the only thing I can really change at this point. I'm going to fill up & add treatment this afternoon. But I can't imagine it would help that much.

Batteries are charging and ok, but not "new".

I'm afraid of taking it hunting next week.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

How's your glow plug system? New plugs? What about the relay? Also, you've checked the harnesses and done the .50 cent mod?

If all of these are good to go, you might be looking at an injector issue. This is almost the exact same situation I am in. I'll be pulling my injectors and putting new O rings on them in the next week in the hopes that will fix the issue. If not, the used injectors I am buying tomorrow will be used as cores for a new set of stage 1s.

The Terrible One

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Brand new glow plugs, brand new International/Ford valve covers & harness, 200a relay (1 yr old).

Any good links I can read about the cold start/injector issues? Unfortunately, I don't have the time to mess with injectors before hunting season. Do you have the injector removal tool?

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There is no injector removal tool for 7.3s. Simply remove too bolts and yank that bad boy out.

I'll see what I can find with regard to injector cold starts.

The Terrible One

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thats good about the tool.

I just did a 'buzz' test with my OBDII/Car Gauge Pro program, and it looks like I have more than a few bad injectors. Only 3 buzzed loudly, 5 were very quiet.

I don't want to upgrade, necessarily, any recommendations for new or rebuilt injectors?

Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I recommend buying Full Force Diesel injectors through Riff Raff. A full set of rebuilt stock injectors will cost you 1100.

The Terrible One

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:25 pm

Chad check the hpop pressure when cranking. HPOP may be weak also. But if you are getting a weak buzz test that tells you a lot.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Surprisingly, it started pretty easily this morning at 12*. I did fill up yesterday & add winter fuel treatment.

I let the glow plugs run for a full 2 minutes & cranked. It didn't start, and I wasn't watching my Torque program closely to see my HPOP numbers. So I gave it a quick 2nd try (no waiting on glow plugs) and it started right up.

BTW my HPOP numbers hit 1800 psi while cranking, so it seems fine.

I'm thinking about swapping out to synthetic oil & putting 2 new batteries in it. I know they are band-aids but they are projects that will help, and that I can get done by Tuesday night, before I hunt Wednesday morning. Or I can leave it as-is and run it. Its a hard decision to throw a $400 band-aid at a truck I know needs $1100 in parts to get it running right.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Do you have a generator? If so, take it hunting and when you're about to leave fire it up and plug the truck in.

The Terrible One

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes, I have a small suitcase 1200w generator. I also have a decent battery jump pack, I'm planning on taking too. The genni can charge the batteries or run (barely) the block heater. I think IF it doesn't start, I can plug it in for 45 minutes & warm things up.

I have my Torque ap set & and running, so I think watching the engine oil temp each morning & trying to start it, will give me a good baseline. This morning the ap said my EOT was 26*. The weather forecast doesn't look too cold, for PM temps. So I'm starting to feel a little better about this.

I think I'll program the SPOT beakon message to send coordinates & the message "F'n truck won't start". LOL.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry Chad. I hope you can get this sorted out, but more important, you get a nice elk and are able to bring it back home without issues.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Just picked up a set of 8 injectors from a kid in Pueblo. $100.00

The Terrible One

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice score.

Tonight before I changed my oil, I did a Buzz test, with warm oil. There was no audible difference between any of my injectors. They all sounded good. When the oil was cold, 5 injectors sounded bad. Tomorrow morning Ill do another test with cold synthetic oil.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The seller of the injectors bought a truck out west and was driving it back to Pueblo. Coming over one of the passes an unknown to him injector cup leak dumped coolant into the cylinder, hydro locking the motor and cracking the block.

He told me they have around 190k on them, but looking at the o-rings, I think at least 7 of them are remains with far less than that.

The Terrible One

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next