[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 7.3L diesel advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 7.3L diesel advice 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 7.3L diesel advice

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Im sure you are right. Just my misconception. Im looking forward to seeing how the truck starts and drives with new injectors. Im not looking forward to the parts bill.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Change to synthetic it will make a world of difference.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I hope they work as well as they look now. Sorry. No before shots.

Also, if there is a hell I hope bin Laden is down there hard at work installing pink o-rings on 7.3 injectors. My thumbs are killing me.

The Terrible One

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:42 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I bit the bullet and swapped my injectors for stage 1's. I was planning on holding out for a while but with a road trip on the horizon I just went for it. I was going to get full force diesel stage1's from Riff Raff but I really wanted the Hydra Chip and Clay does not sell it. I decided to get the injectors straight from Full Force along with the PHP hydra chip. Also, I had 12 cores and Full Force gave me additional credit for my extra cores, Injectors are the same $ either place and they are the same product. I can tell you the truck feels 100% different. Before Installing the chip, I ran it with the stock tune and new injectors and it was a significant improvement over my stockers with 235K on them. My only complaint with the hydra chip is it pumps out more smoke than I would like for daily driving but after talking with Full Force, they are setting me up with additional tunes that will be more friendly for the people driving next to me. The Hydra chip is a 17 position chip so I can keep my ridiculous 140HP smoke cloud tire eating tune for screwing around an still have good usable tunes such as high idle, towing tunes and DD tunes. The other nice thing about the hydra chip is that you can download the tunes or have them emailed to you. If I want to change the tunes on the chip, I can do it from a laptop computer sitting in the driver seat. I"m very interested in how its going to tow now, Improved towing was the goal with all of my modifications. If your on the fence about stock injector reman injectors vs stage 1's, I would invite you to test drive mine. I think the few extra dollars spent is $ well spent

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:51 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

16* air temp this morning, 30* engine oil temp, synthetic oil, only one injector sounded bad for the buzz test.

Glow plugs cycled for full 2 minutes & rested for the time it took to connect & do the buzz test (probably 4 minutes total), then tried to start it. Truck didn't want to start. Cycled the glow plugs for 30 seconds & it started up easily.

The buzz test alone proves the 5-40 synthetic is worth for cold weather starts.

The rest of the week, it will be plugged in for early morning departures. I"m confident it won't have trouble starting in the afternoon. It probably won't sit ALL day. I usually return to the truck & maybe move it around lunch or early afternoon.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last night I completed the swap of the re-ringed injectors. Rather than try to start it with my frozen hands, i plugged in the block Heater and called it a night. This morning it fired on the second crank and idled as smooth as could be. Took it out on a 50 mile run to blow the air out of the lines and it performed better than before.

The true test will be tomorrow with the cold start.

The Terrible One

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I assume that you don't need the torque wrench then? Sorry I had to work today till 5:40, I hadn't heard from you and I'm currently driving my brother in laws tiny Chevy spark, wasn't sure if it'd make it to your house safely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Third attempt to start and it fired right up. Previous two might have been residual air in the oil rails or the position of the tuner.

I drove it yesterday and parked it around 1:30. Oil temp showed 26*F before I made the first crank attempt. No block heater last night.

I think I finally solved my cold start issue.

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congrats! Should make this winter a little easier.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm towing the 73 to Missouri next week. That will be a good test to see how much difference the injectors make.

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

17* this morning and the truck fired right up after 0:30 of glow plugs.

Wish I had replaced those damn injectors years ago.

The Terrible One

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good work! Feels good!

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is one. I have a 97 7.3 and when I add a load to the truck it doesn't pull worth a crap but then I run it by its self and it runs great. I have taken it to 3 shops and they all said that it is fine no codes nor any problems. I am confused. I have a 95 with the same engine and when loaded it will pull at 55-60 mph up hill. The 97 drops down to 30 mph with same load going up the same hill.
What could be causing this problem ? Any ideas ?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:18 pm

You probably have a manifold leaking or up pipes so you have loss of ex pressure so it's not spooling your turbo very well or your hpop is going out and dropping pressure when your trying to give er more throttle to go up the hill if you guys have any questions or work that needs done I can do it I've been working on powerstrokes for along time I have 2 97s and a 96 one 97 is a very built sled pull truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes. You've likely got the leaky up pipes that Justin mentioned. Your exhaust pushing the wheel on your turbo helping to shove air into the cylinders. If your up pipes leak, it's not getting enough exhaust to help force air.

This is probably only one of a few issues you are experiencing, but a good place to start.

The Terrible One

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:13 pm

well my luck on a good running 7.3 I think is over. Lost what I believe is the turbo. wont know until I can tear it out and rip it apart.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next