[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 7.3L diesel advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 7.3L diesel advice 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 7.3L diesel advice
A few weeks ago, I went out to start my truck for the first time in a month or so. The starter latched and wouldn't stop, even with the key out. Had to hurry and pull both battery cables off. Luckily, the wrench I had stashed with my extra cam sensor in the glove box has a 10mm & and an 8mm end.

Each time I rehooked the batteries, the starter (and motor) started spinning. I crawled through the ice & snow and smacked the starter with a hammer a few times & it stopped. But each time I tried to start the truck, the starter would stick 'on'.

So after some reading, I installed a Nippon Denso gear reduction starter. I had to wait till the weather turned colder, to avoid working in 2" of ice melt water. I figured it was better to lay on ice, than in water.

If anyone is wondering, they are 100% worth the extra money! Spins the motor over 2x as fast. I did have to cut a small section of crossmember out to fit the new starter (a typical problem with the retro fit).

I've compiled a list of things to do to finally get this truck ready to tow. Unfortunately the rear end has a pretty significant howl, and it will probably be getting all new bearings & a new ring & pinon, most likely.

Also
Drain antifreeze, install gauge sensor, new tstat, new outlet hose
EGT gauge
Recheck my glow plugs, its getting hard to start without plugging in
Clean EBP sensor & line
Dive into my air bag sensor problems, the L & R seatbelt retractors are throwing codes.
New windshield & repaint the roof at the same time
And if I have the time, I'll pop the door panels off & see what's up with my door lock actuators ( don't actuate the locks- 1st I'll clean & lube the latches)
& mirror controls (adjust "up", despite pusihg 'down', 'left' & 'right'- so its probably just the switch)

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There is a Superchips tuner available for my truck through a local marketplace page on Facebook. $50.

I don't want to do a bunch of upgrading, just keep it reliable. I know you can mess stuff up when you don't know what you are doing. Is this something I should grab?

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:13 pm

I dont remember if your truck is an auto? If it is I'd avoid it as many have been known to toast the auto.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My truck is the manual 6 speed.

I've never looked into any of these, because I didn't plan any 'upgrades'. So I don't even know if it would be beneficial.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Thats the flash tuner Casa has. Not sure otherwise if it makes a difference on his OBS or not. One thing I dont like is they are not switch on the fly. Thats why I went with a chip from DP. I can change tunes just cruisin down the highway.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gunni, let me see if I can turn off the VIN association on my superchips. If I can, it is yours for the cost of the ride.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I never had any issues unless running the high HP tune. And that was likely only because of my gearing. Still need to fix that. Among other things.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Big thing is to watch EGT's. anything over 1250-1300 (pre turbo) and you will start to melt some pistons.

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm planning an EGT gauge before towing the Bronco, so I've got some time to get that done. Unless its towing my non-op Bronco to my shop for some unforeseen reason. And I think its safe for the 10 block drive. LOL

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've had the off-the-shelf vanilla Superchips tuner and it does wake the truck up. I don't remember the tunes it came with, but they were all pretty safe. Then a friend of mine wanted me to run some of his, also a superchips device, but with custom tunes. I liked his stuff as well.

I probably put 80k miles on the truck with it tuned. Not one issue I had could have been related to the tuner. I'd do it again given the chance.

A word on the EGT's...don't lug the motor. That is what will make them skyrocket!

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:37 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What is everyone running for tires and gears in their SDs/PowerStrokes?

I'm obviously way undergeared @3.73/37".
In stock configuration (3.73/265/75/16) I would be turning 2109 at 75mph.
4.11/265 would put me in the neighborhood of 2323 at 75mph.

Sooo, I am thinking of doing a gear swap to AT LEAST 4.56, which should put me around 2205 @75. I figure at 4.56 I can safely go down to a 35" tire, if desired, and not be limited on the highway. And 4.56/35" puts me at 2331 @75mph, and very close to the 4.11/265 stock configuration.

I'm also considering a 4.88/37" combo, putting me at 2360@75mph, but this would keep me at 37" tires. 4.88/35" would put me at 2495@75mph and I'm just not cool with running that high.

So, diesel dudes, whatcha running and how are you liking your set ups?

The Terrible One

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Im still on 3.73's and 285's(33's) and think it needs lower gears.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

513 mi tank netted me 17 flat. Mostly highway though.

The Terrible One

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah my experience was to target 2000rpms for your highway speeds. Mine was pretty good with 3.73 and 285. It was am improvement over the stock size.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:35 am

Last week I had something very weird happen. I started the truck to leave for work. Backed out of the driveway just fine. When I put it in drive the motor lugged down and died. I started it back up and once again when put in drive it lugged down and died. Like the torque converter was locked. So then I started it back up and this time i put it in reverse. Backed up 10' then went to drive. Been fine since.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So, I''m finally getting to a position where i have some time to work on the fleet instead of the house! I did a little carb work on the 66 and thats running well so I'm turning my sights to the F350. Here is where I'm at. I have a riff raff compressor wheel, riff raff up pipes and an early 99 intercooler setup all sitting in the garage waiting for me to do some install work. Recently, I have had increasing problems with a lack of power when its cold. It can't get out of its own way until it gets up to temp. Once its warm it runs pretty well. I have also had an occasion where I was towing in hot weather and it lost a lot of power. The fuel was very low at the time and the problem disappeared with a full tank of diesel. I disconnected the EBPV and it helped but did not cure the cold /power issue. I am about to pull the trigger on EBPV delete pedestal and install the up pipes and composer wheel. I need to get some new intercooler boots before I can start on that upgrade but they are currently out of stock so it waits a couple weeks. Now here is the real dilemma, I'm wanting to pull the trigger on some injectors. I drove an OBS F250 that a guy I work with has and it has Baby swamps injectors and a custom chip. Holly crap! It made my truck feel like a school bus! Now , his truck also has half the miles that mine does so that might have some effect as well. I'm rocking 232K by the way. My goal is to be able to pull the 5th wheel or car trailer over I-70 without getting passed by a moped. The popular injector choices seem to be Baby swamps or full force injectors. Both will require custom tunes. Currently I'm leaning to Full force because I can get them from Clay at riff Raff. I have never purchased anything from swamps. My steps should be ( I think ) 1) up pipes, pedestal and composer wheel 2) intercooler and upgrade tranny cooler while its all apart. 3) Injectors and custom tunes.
Something else I have noticed is that the Black Smoke factor has increased especially under hard acceleration and while towing.
My reading tells me that my injectors are probably pretty worn based on my millage.

Is this a reasonable plan that I have laid out? Any advice from those more diesel savvy than I? I'm not wanting a race truck, just a reliable solid puller. Also, I need to get moving on this because I need to drive it to Sacramento in November.

What say you 7.3 guru's?

Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Lots and f smoke is not enough air too much fuel. Your turbo may be tired. While you have it out get it rebuilt.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When you say rebuild, are you talking about new O rings and gaskets or more in depth than that? Maybe I should be looking for air leaks at the Y pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:17 am

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll check those couplings tonight. Once I have the new intercooler spider on there and all new boots on it, if that's the problem that'll take care of it. I have the factory service manual's for that truck so I should be able to find out what the tolerances should be for the turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Give Addicted Offroad a call as he's done a few injectors on his rigs and has good experience with different companies. Or you could find his build thread on CO4x4

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You've seen his build thread on the new PSD?
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthre ... ed-tow-pig

You can tackle that thread in 30 minutes or less!

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Park on a piece of cardboard.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If the pinion seal is leaking don't let it go too long, it's a good indication that the bearing is out of adjustment.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next