[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - High Quality Ice Chests
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 High Quality Ice Chests 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post High Quality Ice Chests
I think my wife and I are going to get a nice ice chest for our family Christmas gift. We have a cheap coleman and the lid is warped so bad, it does not seal without a ratchet strap. I don't know it's capacity, but it is a fairly large one at ~3ft long, 16" wide and 14" deep.

Doing some initial research, I think we will target around a 70qt capacity. We are in a buy once and buy right scenario.

So what do you have and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: High Quality Ice Chests
I am a RTIC fan. I have used many but today RTIC is the best value. Yeti and RTIC were in a legal dispute but that was mostly drink ware. The product and value is there. I vote RTIC. I have the large 110 cooler which is awesome, and two soft cooler's which are awesome and great value. The beach type totes are great value as well. They blue ice is cheap and seems to hold longer than any I have used. when looking at it note the price is for two.

I have bought cases of coffee tumblers for gifts and have purchased almost every drinking cup they have, and gifted as well. Also the screw cap jugs are awesome. The 16oz, up to 1 gallon and everyone in between is in my possession. The larger 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon are great for growlers....just saying.

So short story is I highly recommend. I have owned, and own the others and think value and quality and the keeping ice I vote RTIC.

Also I have watched for sales after the first of the year for some clearance pricing. If you are not in a big hurry it may be wise to sit tight for a while. I believe my cost on the 110 cooler was somewhere around $200 at a closeout pricing after the first of a new year. That was over two years ago. Same for the soft coolers.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/cooler ... C-110-Grey

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/cooler ... ck-30-Grey

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/travel ... foam-Green

Canon City, Co

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've heard lots of good things about RTIC coolers from owners.

I also like my Lifetime cooler. It works well and I like supporting a Made in the USA product. They have a 77qt version and their coolers are certified bear resistant.

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:42 pm

You cant go wrong with any of them. I have 3 different sizes. Dont need to fall into the "name brand" either. The cabelas brand are good. I have an orca that is great. My small cooler is a subzero. Works awesome. But my next is gonna be a fridge. Dometic or ARB. Not dealing with ice and having more cooler space appeals to me.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the info guys. RTIC is certainly on my list. And as you say, you really can't go wrong. Been watching many head-to-head tests on all of them and they all perform well enough for my needs.

Here are the others I am interested in and I NEVER knew so many existed! Actually there are many more!
Culcutta - Nice square design, freezer style gasket, LED light

Orca

Pelican - just looks cool, but I wonder with the handles sticking out if I'd be annoyed with packing it. Lots of cool colors

Otterbox (yes, that otterbox) - Again, handles an issue? But it has a really neat system for adding accessories, including wheels if the need ever arised. And many colors to choose from.
Image Image

Cablelas Polar Cap - handle issue?

Grizzly

RTIC

Yeti Tundra

Siberian

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Orion is another awesome cooler that has some amazing features that you don't see on any others, but their price is significantly higher than all the others, so for me, it's out.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have several of the Grizzly coolers that are also made in the USA. They have been a great cooler for my muzzle loading trips as I did not have to add ice to the food cooler for the week. The beer cooler however melted a little bit faster...

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

one item you should research is the amount of insulation in the lids. There is some info out there if you dig deep enough on the web. Roto molded coolers are all pretty heavy duty in design but insulation is your friend. Research what it takes to be bear proof and I believe all you have in your list and pics of are bear proof. So it’s not a show stopper but the insulation is. Just my opinion.

Canon City, Co

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My son is a fan of the Engel coolers. I think his is awesome. But smaller coolers will keep colder when fully packed. His is a 45 I believe.

https://www.engelcoolers.com/shop/hard-coolers.html

Canon City, Co

Last edited by ManTruck on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Agreed, bear proof isn't a top priority for me, but insulation is.

I think Engel makes a great cooler, but they didn't make my list because the latches don't seem robust enough.

I have watched several youtube videos of 10-day ice retention tests and surely that equates to insulation efficiency.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0YmWvLvcRA

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:53 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

I like the pelicans wheels and the latches are great. I have the 80qt wheeled version and it’s a good cooler. Get a larger one than you think you may need is my suggestion. The ones I really liked are cabelas, pelican and rtic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've got a Yeti 110 and a smaller Grizzly. If I had it do over again I'd save up the extra few hundred over what I spent on the Yeti and buy a Dometic or ARB plug-in.

Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am

I have a Dometic CX45, I’ll never go back to a cooler again. You do however need a power source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wish my yeti had wheels. Bought the 110 because it was a smoking deal at Costco. Its 38 lbs dry, and sometimes needs two people to move it full. Holds ice forever though, especially if I drop a couple blocks of dry ice in.

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My current cooler is somewhere just north of 60 qts. I assumed it was larger. There are times I wish it was, but I think the way I pack it (frozen milk jugs), I can use less of those and get longer refrigeration. And if it's really important...get dry ice. 70qt +/- is still my target size, but I have noticed that the next size up is only marginally more $$.

I certainly don't want to go smaller, but at least I can compare apples to apples now.

Friday - do you find the handles on your pelican hard to pack around? Do you find you waste space under them? That is really the only reason I haven't settled on that design.

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:42 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Friday - do you find the handles on your pelican hard to pack around? Do you find you waste space under them? That is really the only reason I haven't settled on that design.

I don’t really think the handles are hard to work around. They actually provide a good anchor point for lashing down or lashing things to the top. Oh and the wheels in the pelican don’t encroach on the interior space. I do like the cables box because you can get the wheels for it as an add on. If you are going to mount on a swing gate I’d get something without wheels.

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/aur ... 74726.html

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:32 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Amazon has Pelican products on the deal of the day. Looks like a 50 qt for $200

Canon City, Co

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow. Will check that out. Fear it's a bit too small but that is a great price!

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I have 2 Yetis. I bought one years ago with a friends and family discount (45 quart) and then got the one with built in wheels as a gift. I liked the 45 quart one for the Bronco because the footprint was a bit smaller and just fit better on a cooler rack that a built for my rear bumper.

When filled- it’s pretty damn heavy and I much prefer using the one with wheels when I’m able to (tailgating, trips in my truck, etc). I have found too that having various sized coolers is a bonus since you’re not always taking a 5 day trip— sometimes you want a smaller cooler when you’re only packing for a long weekend.

Here is a picture of the 45 YETI on my Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Currently a cooler gets used most for when I go 4 wheeling for a weekend. Usually it's just me and maybe my son. So I see the appeal of having various sizes. They are just too expensive to buy in all at once so the smaller ones will have to come later unless I win one (otterbox) in a raffle at the local grocery store.

It was just odd to me that Otterbox is at the top of my list but I could not find one locally to see in person. Then one day visiting the small family run store in town, there one is right in front of me as a raffle. I do still love the otterboxes ability to add wheels to any one of their coolers. My only concern remains how much those handles stick out if I'm trying to pack tightly.

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Look at the rtic backpack soft cooler. They work very very well have normal handles up top and straps to carry it like a back pack. I plan on picking one up here soon.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Woot (part of Amazon) has the Pelican 70 on sale at $299. Deals on this site only last a while, so there is no telling how long it will last. I've bought from Woot for years (before it was Amazon) and they are reliable. Prime members get free shipping.

https://sport.woot.com/offers/pelican-e ... cnt_wp_2_1

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Gunni...that is a good deal and a cooler i really liked. Never ordered from woot and I dont see if I get to choose a color??

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The green isnt a bad color... just need to man-up and make a decision.

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you haven't bought one already, the Otterbox Venture45 are FREE this month with an awesome logo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next