[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Help starting a 302/EFI Engine for the first time
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Help starting a 302/EFI Engine for the first time 

Post Help starting a 302/EFI Engine for the first time
I believe I'm ready to start the new motor up for the first time and would like some help from a couple of "veteran motor/EFI guys".
I have the wiring 95% complete but would like to have someone double check my work before hooking up the battery.

I'm looking for some help next Sat 1/11 . The wife is out of town so I would really like to surprise her once she returns.
The garage is heated plus Food & Beverage will be provided I'm located up North in Frederick Co. (I-25 & HWY 52)
Let me know if anyone can help and I'll PM you my address/number

Thanks in Advance
Steve

Here's what I have
Freshly rebuilt 75-302 block 30over with 96 GT Heads & Mild cam
96 Explorer EFI wiring/computer re-flashed by Gary

Last edited by Strike2 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Help starting a 302/EFI Engine for the first time
I could probably come by for a few hours one of those days- whichever ends up working out. I’m no wiring expert but have the same EFI setup on my Bronco and have rebuilt a couple engines (err- 1 engine a couple times).

I can bring my Bronco with me to compare and double check off of.

-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 am

That would be great Mike!
Having a couple of explorer EFI Broncos here to compare wiring is what I was hoping for. I’m running a flat tapped cam so once the engine fires up I just need to run it for 30min at 2K rpm so looking for a couple of people to help monitor items for leaks or issues. There will be no test run as the bronco is still not under its own weight.

PM sent

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think I can come and play too.

Prefer Saturday, but either will work.

Been wanting to see your craftsmanship first hand.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:38 pm

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:16 pm

I got a few more items completed this weekend before "Engine Start Day 1-11" I was able to volt check that I have power to the gauges along with Key power in all three positions as well as power to new EFI fuse box. All that's left to do is wire up/test the fuel pump, add fluids/new plugs and prime the motor I may remove the starter and disconnect the coil wire to see that the starter cranks as its off the donor explorer.

I do have a couple of questions

1.) On the main 2 power leads going to the OEM fuse box should I hook up one large black wire to the Alt or directly to the battery and should this wire have some type of inline fuse? Also just cap the other one.

2.) Were are you sourcing the small 2amp fuse for the instrument panel. My local AutoZone/O'reilly's doesn't stock them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For the main power I’d go to the battery not the alternator, the battery is a reservoir and can take and give as needed, the alternator only gives. I believe I ran both original wires to hot as power has two ways in on the circuit, if your connections are similar to my ‘73.

As for the fuse, have you tried NAPA?

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:19 pm

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Before we left for the Baja trip I went to Orielly's and ordered multiples of the odd OEM Bronco fuses.

I don't know off the top of my head if there are differences between 73 & 77 but I will dig through my on-board survival kit to see if I have any of those fuses.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You just talking about a standard auto fuse- 2amp? If so- I ordered a large kit off amazon when I was prepping for Baja. I can bring a couple on Saturday for you if you can’t find any local.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:20 pm

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm a maybe to come help. Need to check to see if the wife wants to go to the Stock Show this weekend.

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:59 am

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:12 am

It looks like the Napa hub has the 2amp fuse, going to stop in at lunch at see.

In the meanwhile what are the fuse sizes recommended when used in the EFIGuy wire harness junction box. I'm using a 96 explorer harness and looking at the OEM sizes they seem high and I cant seem find the O2 sensor.

The ones in there were used just to confirm power.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:28 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don’t know if different years of Explorer have different fuse requirements but Garry just did this for mine.

I do know that the KAM and OBD fuse is 5 amp for the 96 which is located in the bottom of the relay box.

70764719-6442-404C-9DFB-0BD86A9475E2.jpeg

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 pm

[quote="Rox Crusher"]I don’t know if different years of Explorer have different fuse requirements but Garry just did this for mine.

I do know that the KAM and OBD fuse is 5 amp for the 96 which is located in the bottom of the relay box.

Thanks for the information, I'll hit up AZ an pick up some 5 & 20 amp fuses.

I'm making good progress on the list, I was able to prime the motor and change spark plugs. Luckily I noticed that #1 wire didn't snap into the plug and there was no connector in the boot. Just order a Motorcraft set that will be in tomorrow.

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looking at your list...…..

I have a brand new OBDLink MX Bluetooth reader for Android / Windows that you can have.

I also have one for IOS we can use if you're an apple guy.

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:05 pm

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 am

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The OBD reader I am offering you for free is designed to work with android phones and windows based laptops. You plug it into the OBD port and it connects to the android phone or laptop via Bluetooth. You download the software which takes the info from the OBD reader and shows you end error codes from the pcm.

I mistakenly ordered this one. It realizing it didn’t work with Apple devices so I have no need for it.

I then ordered one that works with apple devices because that is what I have. I will bring both so we can use whatever suits the situation.

Hope that clears it up.

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:12 pm

I then ordered one that works with apple devices because that is what I have. I will bring both so we can use whatever suits the situation.

Hope that clears it up.[/quote]

Thanks Rox Crusher, makes sense now.

So after priming the motor and resetting the distributor I wanted to refresh my memory on converting the 96 Explorer wiring harness so I review both youtube videos by EFIGUY. One item caught my attention the CPS, I don't remember ever seeing that plug just the timing pointer. After confirming with an expert he confirmed yes you defiantly need a Crank Position Sensor banghead . So after 1+ hours of searching bags of parts I found the OEM CPS plug that Icut from the harness 18 months ago. (Pre-RedBull days) LOL

"Readers digest version" Last night I had to pull several motor parts/wire harness to re-attach the CPS I finished just after midnight but glad I found it when I did, today it shouldn't take long to put it all back together and be ready for SAT. I would have called out sick today but I had critical parts that were due to arrive at work today. Good news is they arrived and life is good!

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Look at all that room to work!!

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:04 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Just a heads up on the CPS wires...They need to be shielded in foil tape with a bare drain wire ran to ground (on the PCM side) inside the foil. If you just cut the plug off it's probably no big deal, but if you had to add both wires back in make sure the shielding is there.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:51 am

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:38 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sorry I had to leave

Did you get that bad boy runnin ?

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Congratulations!!! Can’t wait to see it off and running!!!

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wahoo! Ready to see it in it's intended enviroment!

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next