[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - muffle that noise!!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 muffle that noise!! 

Post muffle that noise!!
Lets talk mufflers.

Been running the typical magnaflow muffler. While it sounds good it is too loud to enjoy on long drives. I know I dont want a chambered muffler. Im thinking just a good old fashioned turbo muffler. My goal is to be able to run down the highway and not go deaf.

What are people running?

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: muffle that noise!!
I'm working on the same thing. Current plan is to add a resonator or bullet style Magnaflow upstream from the current Magnaflow, but I'm interested to see what everyone likes.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am

I also need something thats small.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:46 pm

Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm running turbos

Last edited by BOBS 2 68S on Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:58 am

Also interested in what everyone is running for a muffler,
I'm not using any resonators at the moment and both mufflers (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-6555) are at the very end of the exhaust. I really like the sound of them in town but on long drives its too loud . I'm planning on redoing the exhaust this spring once I do few changes to the suspension so it would be interesting to hear what's modifications/mufflers provide the best results for quieting down the sound.

And yes the mufflers are for a Chevy crazy they were the only ones short enough to fit were the gas tank was lol

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's what I'm planning to put in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018 ... 3240e894a8

Rob, interesting about putting it at the end of the exhaust. If I've got room, I might give that a shot.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:40 pm

dang thats the shortest resonator ive seen. I might have to go with one of those also.

I know Crawlercreations has a quiet exhaust. Also JD's exhaust was quiet.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:41 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just ordered one. Should be here tomorrow. I'll post up once I know more.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am running the Magnaflow 2 into 1 muffler from the BC broncos kit. It's decently quiet because I'm still on a stock engine and stock manifolds. It also just barely fits with my 4 link and the tailpipe comes all the way out the back. It is really nothing special and would not likely be very quiet with any kind of decent engine power and/or headers.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got my resonator put in. Found varying accounts of what works best, so opted to follow Rob's advice and put it as close to the end as possible. The system is shorty headers and 3" single pipe with a small, high flow cat right after the Y pipe and an 18" Magnaflow muffler. It's definitely quieter, but still has some solid rumble and the overall tone is both smoother and deeper. I lost a little of the crackle I loved while decelerating, but it's still there. At cruise, tire noise is louder than the exhaust. I'm still getting some resonance which I suspect is from the 3ft section of pipe between the cat and the muffler. For now, I'll leave it as is. Once it's linked I'll be re-lego-ing the entire thing anyway. Tomorrow it gets paint. Too shiny. I don't have a before clip, but here's the after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA15jqa80bc

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:13 pm

sounds really mellow. mine had a crack to it when you snapped the throttle. which made it loud.

I did finally decide on a muffler. Going to order it up along with all my pipes and stuff. Waiting on the BC shorty headers to show up.

Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice! What muffler did you pick?

Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:25 am

Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:35 am

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It sounds good and is pretty liveable as is. The configuration im awning to run after it gets linked will move the muffler upstream about a foot and hide the resonator better. Should be almost ideal.

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would like to throw something else out there for you guys. My last bronco had a pretty nasty 351w that I just could not quiet down well. I had dual 50 series (I think)(biggest I could fit and was still stock type suspension) flowmasters, and I even added short cherry bombs to help but it was pretty much unbearable for daily driving. Sounded good and mean but too loud. So I made my own set of what's linked here but would recommend buying instead. What I made worked really well so I could stand daily driving it again. I installed them as far into the tailpipe as I could. 10/10 would recommend them. This is just a general link, they make them in a bunch of different sizes.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cci- ... dQQAvD_BwE

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mine didn't seem to make much difference with noise, but I'm running a small, high flow cat. Fumes are 1000% better. Part of that is EFI, but the cat helps. Still getting a small bit of smell till the cat is hot enough to do anything.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll be going over the frame rail, down the outside of the frame, and out through the body once mine is linked. I could do it now except for where my shock hoops are located.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I've seen a few federwell headers for EB. No idea if they were custom. I love my body lift.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You could tuck it up as high as you can in the back, and then have it turn down at the last few inches where the outlet would be above the rear bumper for protection. Or you could do nearly the same in front of the rear axle. Just have it dump before it reaches the inside surface of the rear tire.

My old blue one had duals out the back that didn't last long. This white one dumped out in front of rear tire, that too didn't stay round long. I am mostly happy with it exiting thru the body now aside from some rattling against the bezel I made until it heats up. I've still scraped it again rocks, but it's never gotten crushed.

I think it would be awesome to build a device that would sandwich the body and have a collar on the inside that you could attach a flex pipe too. Then you don't have a pipe floating inside a bezel to rattle. But that could create heat issues on your painted surfaces. Perhaps you could double-wall it like a lot of diesel exhaust tips are?? Hmm...that would be pretty easy to adapt to my setup if I could make it short enough.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next