[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Welder Advice/Suggestions
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Welder Advice/Suggestions 

Post Welder Advice/Suggestions
So, I've never welded before, but have a few spots that I need to take care of on the Bronco. I figure now might be the time to finally learn how to weld. Does anyone have any suggestions on an affordable welder to purchase?

Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Welder Advice/Suggestions
A few questions, first, define affordable. That will determine what's in and what's out. An inverter style is super nice and most will do multiple processes (i.e. mig, stick, tig).

Second, do you have 240v? Or will you have only 120v? If the latter, that will reduce your choices more.

If I had the money, I'd buy the new Miller multi-process that can do AC/DC tig, mig and stick.

I have the Tweco (formerly Thermo Arc) 211i multi process but have only used it for mig. Great unit and will weld anything I need.

The Miller-matic machines are great if you are new to welding.

If you are going for just 120v, look at the Lincoln's, Miller's or hobart's. All great machines.

There are other cheaper brands that probably work great but it's always about how you get supplies for them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What Phyler said-what's your budget? For cheap and just bodywork, a 120v off craigslist from any of the big 3 makers will do great. If you're wanting to do more fabrication later, spending the extra on a 220v machine is advised. I started with at 120v and upgraded a year or two later. I now have the same Tweco 211i and have been really happy with it. No plans to go bigger. DC TIG is fun to play with, but not super practical. One really nice thing about it is it uses the same tips as the Lincoln machines, so I can get them at Home Depot.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:48 am

Exactly what Phyler/Justin said!
It hasn't been mentioned but I would make sure to get a welder with gas attachments its produced a much nicer weld IMO, I have a Hobart 220v Ironman and really like it. Another nice to have is the option to go down to small wire size to like .23 for sheet metal which I think most do although it can be done with .30

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Exactly like what Phyler, Justin and Strike2 have said!

I will stress that if you can somehow get 240 into your garage/welding area, even if you have to run an extension cord - you will benefit from having that extra welding capability from the start as the prices are not that much different. You WILL find a need for the higher amps, and it will allow you to run the welder longer - more overhead.

I have been very happy with my welder (my first), a Lincoln 180HD that i found on a local 4x4 forum brand new for $450. I have been tinkering with the idea of upgrading to a nice Miller that I can TIG with but will probably keep my Lincoln as well.

BTW, before i built my garage I had to add a 240 outlet outside under my breaker panel, built a 50 foot extension cord and ran my welder just fine - you just have to pay attention to length of run and size of wires used for the amperage needed.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks for all of the info so far. As for my budget, well the cheaper the better. I'd like to try to be in the couple hundred dollar range if thats possible. I don't want to break the bank with a welding set up, then I won't be able to afford the parts I need to drive the thing!! Don't have 240 yet in the garage. For now, I only need to weld in some body patches (spots in bed, inner fender wall and door post). I imagine a MIG welder would be best to start with? Anyone looking to sell anything?

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Also.....
http://www.buckeyeweldingsupply.com/ great people and they have very affordable classes for wire feed, tig and sick welding.
also look to you tube for some great videos on techniques.
most welding supply stores also sell used/re-manufactured units as well.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you can swing it, and plan to add 220v a lot of machines are dual voltage. Just swap the cord end and flip a switch and you change from 110 to 220. If you buy a 110v machine you'll end up selling and upgrading, we all do. If you pay a little more now for a dual voltage machine you'll avoid the sell and upgrade process.

I have a Miller 211 and love it. Not on the cheap end but probably the last welder I'll buy. A 180 will do almost anything you'll work on.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you keep your eye out on Craigslist, you might find a deal on a smaller unit but you will get what you pay for. For body work, don't try without gas. I'm sure there are guys out there who can do it with flux-core, it's just difficult.

I'd be ready to drop $4-500 for the welder (thinking a 135 or 140 model) and another $150 or so for the accessories like a small gas bottle.

Post pics of what you need done. Might be able to give better advice.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can't verify but I read that the acid in flux core wire will work out of a weld over time and ruin the finish after bodywork is painted.

Regardless if it's true, I wouldn't consider a welder that couldn't use shielding gas.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You really don't have to be a good welder, But it helps if you are really Great with the grinder!!! :laughing2:

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:28 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 am

I really appreciate all of the advice! Thanks again.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]