[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Lets talk Tool Chests
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Lets talk Tool Chests 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Lets talk Tool Chests
It was a few years ago that Chris posted about this. Not sure what he landed on, but I'd like to start poking around at getting a new chest. The hand-me-down Craftman chest from my grandpa is ok, but the drawers don't roll well and I have really outgrown it since I have tools stored all over my garage. Would very much love to have all my tools in one location instead of trying to remember where they are. Especially difficult when we move every two years and I have to refamiliarize myself each time! LOL

I too am looking for bang for the buck. I haven't worked out a budget yet, but I think the narrowest I want to go is 41" and I'd love to have it tall so it takes up less of a foot-print. Seems the houses we are in these days have small garages. I have poked around on facebook, menards, home depot, and have just started looking at Harbor Freight.
I think this is about the minimum size I'd like to start at:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-41-in ... 43#overlay

I wonder if something like this would allow me to grow into it or if I'd fill it up with what I have now??
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Indus ... /309210140

Thanks for the advice!

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:21 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Lets talk Tool Chests
I have the second, larger of the two you linked. Overall, I like it, but I’m surprised how quickly it filled up. I’d get the largest one that you can reasonably afford.

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

In that same field is this Milwaukee:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-4 ... /306136151

Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:59 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The HF stuff gets really good reviews. I'd look seriously at them, even if I was still wrenching for a living.

Something my body shop "mentor" mentioned is lots of little drawers is better than less bigger drawers, and I think that is true.

Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:51 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I built my workbench around the idea of dual 44" HF boxes. They went 24" deep instead of 18" and they hold a lot of weight. Super nice drawers and I think they close nicely. The price on them keeps going up though.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yes the 44" combo roller chest and top box are 1250 right now. Ill keep an eye on used and see what sales pop up.

Thanks?

Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If buying new, best sales are Father's day and Black Friday. Around here, I don't see them come up very often on the used market.

Good luck and remember to show off what you get!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Are these eligible for the 20% off coupons @ HF?

Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You said you move every 2 years. And moving the size tool chests listed filled with tools will need a fork lift.
My first time at The Denver Post newspaper my 7 drawer Kennedy roll-around tool box weighed almost 800 pounds and I had more tools in the shop.
But I know that it is nice to have every thing in it's place.
Just some mindless drible from a retired machinist

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I had thought about that...Worst case, I unload most of it and reload once it's in the truck and enlist some hefty help to roll it up the ramp.

I do appreciate the advice.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:04 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The advantage to remove eveything is a good time to clean out things like...
old lawn mower spark plugs
burned out light bulbs and fuses
dried fuel line
that tuna sandwich that was forgot
:)

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

B92DDC42-02FA-4181-A8A6-46D91D9ED71F.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:35 pm

Both tool boxes are nice, I do like the first one just because the smaller drawers are 3"T vs the 2"T on the more expensive box. It all depends on how you plan on arranging your tools I know on my tool box some of the more shallow drawers limited some tools just something to think about.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:13 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

I have the second one you listed in the OP. I fill up every inch of it and for the most part I am happy with it but like said the smaller drawers would be better.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Might be worth joining the HF inside track club. No exclusions 20% off.

Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The other morning, I stopped by the local HF and checked out the US General boxes. And they seem to be on par with the stuff at Home Depot. If I were to pull the trigger on those, I'd get the 44" series:
https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-x-2 ... 64446.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-dou ... 64440.html

That's 21 drawers for $990 (would wait on a sale tho, which the email I got this am is 20% off, which is just shy of $800) One feature I am not sure I'd miss or not is the power strip?? I could certainly add one by drilling a hole and adding my own. Total weigh is 531lbs (two pieces)

This Milwaukee is out of stock, but is the box I'd prefer at the Home Depot @ $900 for 18 drawers and made of 19ga steel:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-H ... /301937094
weight is 614lbs (one piece)

Its apparent replacement is 20GA steel, two less drawers and $100 more!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-4 ... /306136151
Weight is 435lbs (two pieces)

The husky I linked above is 18GA steel, 15 drawers, $1000
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Indus ... /309210140
weight is 555 lbs (one piece)

I have to consider weight since we move so darn much! But again, I can take the time to empty it, load the box and reload.

All that to say...no decisions made.

Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]