[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - New upholstery in patina survivor?
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New upholstery in patina survivor? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post New upholstery in patina survivor?
Looking for feedback.

I've been offered to make a swap. A company wants to use my Explorer Sport seats as a sample to recreate the fabric. Unfortunately this would mean destroying my existing seat covers.

I'm trying to work a deal for a complete set of new covers to replace the covers I'd send them for samples.

It's not a done deal, and I'm not even sure I should take it if offered.

The truck is 1 of 141 Candyapple Red 72 Explorer Sports. It is still original paint and mostly original, with a few "period correct" upgrades.

My current plan will be to make rust repairs (floors, cowl, door pillars, and rockers), possibly clear over the patina or just restore original paint as best as possible. I will replace the old Superlift with 3.5" WH lift parts I have. I also have power brakes, disk brakes, power steering ready as upgrades but will keep all original parts if it needs to be put back to original. Outside of these changes I plan to keep it as is, a patina survivor.

The seat covers are the worst part of the truck. Would new upholstery look weird in an otherwise unrestored interior?

Should I keep the original seat covers or go with new upholstery if offered?

20160524_174226.jpg

DSCN7814.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: New upholstery in patina survivor?
I don’t think that color would look out of place new/restored. It’s not like it’ll be bright blue or green replacements of faded blue/green. I don’t think torn up vinyl adds to the value- especially since you are repairing other parts. It’s already not 100% original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If they will give me a set of complete covers for my sample (and I offered a blue Ranger seat cover) I'll probably do it.

I posted this on CB.com and someone mentioned that my vinyl can probably be repaired. The split vinyl is the only reason I really feel the need to replace it. So if it can be repaired to a decent point I'll be happy.

The more I think about it, the idea of a crusty patina truck appeals to me. I'm even starting to like the basement rec room carpet. There is really so much work that would need to be done just to make the interior really nice. The door panels and seat belts are very worn, the dash is cut (I don't want to paint the dash because there are paint inspection stamps still visible), steering wheel is wasted, dash pad is trash (I have a new dash pad though), wiper motor cover and sun visors are missing (I do have replacements that match the condition of the interior). I kept this rig instead of my 66 specifically because a patina truck wouldn't need as much work as the resto needed for the 66, and that is playing a big part in my decision. I can't seem to reel myself in on projects (have you seen the trouble I get into with my 74?) and don't really want to get into another huge time suck project. I have a 39 Plymouth if I ever want to get into another 10 year project.

Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

rabbit hole, speaking from experience

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I love that carpet as much as Rox loves the patina on mine. Leaving it as is sounds like a good plan.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not a problem. We always discussed “if and when.” No reneging if you’re keeping it.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:15 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]