[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Hard vs Soft Top
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Hard vs Soft Top 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Hard vs Soft Top
pros and cons lets hear em.
while driving yesterday to the trail I am guessing maybe my hard top what quieter than some of the softies, however when messing on the long bumpy road to the trail and on the trail, man that thing makes some racket.

temp wise I am not sure how much diff there really is as the hard top I have has no insulation in it and the floor has no insulation so how much colder could a soft top really be?

as far as road and wind noise does anyone have experience with say a $600 bestop vs a $1200 Can Back?

gonna ask over at CB.com as well for a broader sample but want feedback from those in this climate for the temps and conditions that we see here.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:08 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Hard vs Soft Top
The real question is which Soft Top. The BC Broncos Can-Back is amazing. I decided against it because of the perminant cage frame mounting system. The Cage frame mounting system completely covers my new powdercoated Family Cage and eliminates the chance I would run completely convertible open air - unless I removed the full frame mount cage. IF you remove the mounting cage frame, then the questions of where to store the cage - just like a hard top. However, I love the fact you can order it in 20 colors and will likely last as long or longer that the Bronco. On another Bronco, I would spend less money on my family cage then I would be less reluctant to cover it up and would have had the money to cover the difference in price.

I went with the BesTop over the Rampage after reading every article I could find, CCB Members, and Wild Horses recommendation. My new BesTop should be here Wednesday. After seeing treads BesTop in person on Saturday, I know I made the right choice for me.

This is definitely a hard decision and excited to hear more opinions from the group. It is a very hard question and unique to each Bronco owner.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

see I am the opposite.
I figure I will never run completely open top. just dont see it happening.
but like the zipout/fold up side and rear option.
Dont like the price of the can back but like the look of the smoother top(closer to hartop look)....
and maybe more long term life of it. figure if I went that route then my Hard top would go away so it would have to last through our seasons year round.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I own a HT, but it has never been on, I love the ST especially on the trail in the summer when the days are great. I usually run mine safari style with the side and rear windows out to keep the blazing sun at bay and the kiddos from getting burned. Mine is an old STC top, but resembles the newer cheap tops.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I really do like my Bestop so far. I took it out for a drive in-town and on the freeway yesterday afternoon, it was around 28f at the time and the top retained heat and kept out sound nicely. Here's some pics of the install...IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0399.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When I had my ST on, I didn't much care for it. I prefer the HT but I enjoy just the bikini top too. I guess I have the security concerns myself but I always try to leave valuables out of sight on any vehicle I drive. I have always wondered if the half cab was quieter due to not having the back half of the "tin can" to resonate the sound into the passenger area.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think a good quality alarm with interior motion-detection is a good call for any early Bronco...hard top or soft top. That's on my list.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yea...I believe there are units that only alarm if something moves inside the vehicle. But by then, maybe it's too late anyway. I think Viperwolf has the best approach, multiple kill/cutoffs. Just need to couple that with a tuffy glove box:)

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Your BesTop looks great Eric. I bet it was quite the difference in 28*F weather from the Bikini Top.

An alarm is a love/hate thing. They have come along way since my alarm in High School would say "Viper Armed". I think a combo of a bubble, motion sensor, tilt (mercury) sensor, glass breakage sensor, battery backup, and a ignition shut off is a pretty safe way to go. The cost of the battery backups is down around $30.00 on amazon. I love the new key-fobs that vibrate/page if the alarm goes off as well.

The hate part is the false alarms - hopefully they are better now than they were.

With any Bronco, you are going to have the set the bubble fairly low because of the people who stop to admire your Bronco with no intention of stealing anything. I would LOVE to drive mine to a Rockies Game but that will likely NEVER happen - some places you park are just asking for trouble.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]