[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - How do I find out if the rumors are true???
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 How do I find out if the rumors are true??? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post How do I find out if the rumors are true???
There were a few of the EB guru's on Saturday who pointed to this and that and said Drew's bronco may have some special blood lines (besides the obvious fact that it is an early bronco).

Some pointed to the dual shocks, the power steering and how it is mounted, disk breaks, roll bar etc and said that it just might have found its way throug the Strope shop back in the day.

Is there any way to know beyond these clues?

If so, that may just change some of the eventual plans for the rig - I mean you cant tear apart a Shelby mustang, same for a Strope bronco (no the stang is not a Shelby)

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: How do I find out if the rumors are true???
Being a 1974, it is unlikely to have had Stroppe installed power steering on it. Stroppe used GM Saginaw boxes up until 1973, when Bronco power steering became an option. He simply had no other choice.

The installation of the GM box required the frame to be notched and was also accompanied by reinforcing wings, welded in at the front cross member. See the photo below.

Looking at your dual shock mount for the front end, it does look similar to the ones on my '72. How many holes are on that mount? Mine either has three or four. Memory fails me at the moment.

On your rollbar, there were two very similar styles during that time frame because the design was sold to another manufacturer (Smitty, Duff, I don't remember). The Stroppe bar had removable legs and fewer bolt holes on the feet than the knock off. IIRC, Stroppe bars had fewer than 20 bolt holes while the other had more.

The green paint underneath belies the fact that it is not a Baja edition, but I bet you already knew that. Because of that there will be no DSO indication. What is your DSO code? Mine is 71 (Los Angeles) and the production number puts it a few hundred units away from some Bajas in the '72 model year. Best I can figure, it shipped to LA where it was delivered to a dealer. Either before or after purchase it was taken over to Stroppe for mods.

Keep in mind Stroppe stopped building Bajas in either late '74 or early '75, which is why all the Denver edition Broncos carry Stroppe paint jobs. Left overs from when Stroppe called it quits.

I'd say if it was a California truck, there is a moderate chance it was handled by Stroppe. Anything outside of California and the chances start to drop off.

There are no official or unofficial numbers or records as to how many trucks were built as Bajas. IIRC there was a fire or just a lazy book keeper. So records on Stroppe "kit" Broncos (as Baja owners are fond of referring to those not wearing the Poppy, White, and Blue) would be even less likely.

Remind me next time we're at a breakfast together with our Broncos and we can compare notes.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:05 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Almost forgot, does it have an automatic transmission cooler on it? Possibly mounted to the front of the front crossmember and parallel to the ground?

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:20 pm
Might want to verify the frame VIN is the same as the glovebox VIN. It wouldn't be the first time someone swapped bodies.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I confronted my wife and she denied everything. I have been wondering the same thing. laughing2 lmao icon biggin

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I know I'm goin' to hell!

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

icon biggin

Last edited by hockeydad4-22 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:58 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

o

Last edited by Moab Mike on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

One of my favorite things about this forum is a near-total lack of drama. Any chance we can keep it that way?

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wow, what happened there? I saw the humor in your response Hockeydad.....

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:25 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

76-

Sorry man, I cracked up at your post and was just trying to play a long. No, no personal issues or anger here from my side. I will delete my post. Just trying to be funny.

I will try to refrain from comments like this in the future.

I hope there are no hard feelings.

Greg

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well I feel like a complete ass! oops I was actually enjoying your jabbing but when I got to your rant about what the post was about I thought you were pissed at me for desecrating the thread. I guess I took it wrong and well you know the rest. No apology needed on my end but I wish to offer you one. How about I buy the first couple of beers next time we get together (unless it's at the breakfast, we'll drink bloody mary's).

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Desecrating the thread? Hell no, I had not even thought such a thing. I mean I pretty much spewed coffee everywhere when I read your post, thought it was witty and spot on. I was just trying to play along. No need to buy beers or blody mary's, I will be glad to join you for one or two when we do meet in person. I am not going to make the breakfast this month (getting lasik the afternoon before so I kind of doubt I will be allowed out of the house yet but who knows) but there simply must be a trail ride the following weekend... At least I sure hope so.

Seriously man, I think you and I will get along very well in person, and we are both "club leaders afterall"

Now if we are done with this sappy apology thread - I still need to crawl under Drew's little pony and see what the PS and dual shocks look like. I am fairly sure the shock mounts have only 1 hole in them but look identical otherwise....

I sense there will be some more pictures posted here this weekend when I finaly have some time

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I knew this was a complete misunderstanding with drama from the two of the nicest guys on the board. Thanks for working this out.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We will work on Chad, a few apples, some grain, a doe in heat, he will be all good.... :)

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am eating an apple right now and I do feel better LMAO

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If that changes we can find you a nice salt lick.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll bring your shoe to the next CCB event hockeydad if you'll return my CCB hoodie you took from my closet! lmao

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, finally looked it over and I have more questions than answers. The pictures show what we have. 2 holes in the shock mounts, trans cooler in front of radiator behind the grill and something entirely different for the power steering. But the roll bar has far less than 20 bolt holes.

I am thinking leave it to the experts to decide.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am by no means an expert on Stroppes but I believe they used a saginaw steering box that doesn't have much of a long sector shaft and its mounted on the outside of the frame rail. Yours appears to be the F100 steering box conversion that mounts to the inside of the frame and has a very long sector shaft. I think the stroppes had a more square transmission cooler mounted below the radiator almost horizontal? As I said I am by no means an expert...just little observations I think I picked up on.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]