[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - efi vs carb
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 efi vs carb 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post efi vs carb
I know there is quite a few of you guys that went efi and still others that didn't.So from you efi guys i want to know why you did it?How you did it?how much it was ect.From you carb guys why you ain't did?If you are against it i want to know why also.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 pm
Post Re: efi vs carb
I got tired of the carb cutting out on steep climbs, having to play with the throttle on cold starts, having to floor the throttle on hot starts, and 10 mpg.

Can't say how much it was. I replaced the entire motor (went overboard) and wasn't really counting (affraid to add it up). It can be done for less than $1K.

Learn everything you can from fordfuelinjection.com. Use the standard formula of parts (mustang) to keep everything compatible. It's really not that complicated. If you decide to do it, I'll donate an upper and lower mustang intake.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

hey there . i have spent money on every carb out there . some run good on side hills and not good nose up or down .. others run good nose up and down but not on side hills . others run ok but power was down . we installed howell injection around 1000 bucks at the time it was straight forward to install in bout a day . biggest thing was i had to run return line back to tank and install elec fuel pump . now when racing into corners she does not stall , runs at any angle starts with ez and power is noticable , never checked mpg but im sure its as good or better .
cheers Molley

66 Bronco (Molley) injected 418 stroker on juice, klune v ,4 speed atlas hi 9 35 spline air lockers front & rear, rcv axles. 37'' red krawlers. Four other sets of tires for ice racing and dirt drags. 290lbs of welding wire.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm running a carb now and I will tell you it is NOT ideal for four wheeling. It will not stay running when the nose is up on an obstical, or climbing a steep hill. Of course some carbs will do better than others but I will make the swap to efi as soon as I can get a good grasp on some parts (with the help from some of the guys in this club hopefuly). Viper said it all, I will 2nd it. Just my opinion.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:24 pm

A properly tuned carb can go a long ways. Still not EFI but if tuned it'll be pretty good.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It is definitely an individual choice - if you four wheel a lot then it may be worth it. Some people may rather have new paint or chrome rims. If a properly tuned carb can handle 95% of your driving then the money may be better used somewhere else. However, I think most everyone wants EFI but it just depends on where it falls in your list of importance.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I did the EFI swap because I wanted to see if I could. I though it would be a fun mod, and add something cool to my bronco. NO doubt they run well!

My brother has a Q-jet and has had it tuned by a PROFESSIONAL... not just some buddy, or "guy I know". I must say that I am REALLy impressed in how well his runs. After the recent snow run and hearing carb'd rigs cutting out, his runs GREAT!

But its up to you... keep in mind a GOOD tune on your carb will run $150-$300 depending... and the art seams to be dying too.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I mostly rock crawl so that had a big impact on my decision to go EFI. I spent a lot of time searching for parts and got lucky on some of the deals I got. I spent about $800 on my complete EFI swap. I could have done it cheaper but I didn't have the patience to modify the stock mustang harness I had so I bought a new RJM(fordfuelinjection.com) harness. I found a great deal on a non-bronco specific harness. You probably couldn't even tell it isn't bronco specific! I did everything myself so that saved a ton. There is more than enough info on how to do it.

I have tried almost every type of carb out there and can say there is no comparison between any carb and EFI. I spent a lot of time tuning the carbs I tried but no matter what I did they wouldn't run right at all the different altitudes in this state! A holley double pumper race carb was about the best performing carb I had or ever saw offroad and it can't come close to the EFI.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We just finished up my son's EFI swap a couple months ago. We had some unexpected problems that coused a lot of frustration, but the swap itself went well. We did it because I figured if we were going to change the engine we might as well go the EFI route. We used the stock harness and saved that way too. It started no problems at -20 and has run great. Plus the last breakfast we went to in Denver we were getting 15 MPG. I would do it again.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Efi is more efficient at burning fuel, no vapor lock, sputtering when on steep grades, no need to worry jets rods spring, carb gumming. Main reason I did it was because I had a truck I didn't drive and it had a great drivetrain. The broncos six banged three tree was just more of a chore to drive, than enjoyable. If my bronco had a 302 in it it probaly wouldn't have changed. I can not keep my hands off it anymore, well i guess i never have. Making a classic a modern up to date vehicle just makes it easier to depend on. I spent about a thousand but I already had the truck. My money went to trans to t case adapter. Resizing drive shafts making rear to a cv type and a fuel pump Electric fans

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would probably go efi but for the hassle and money.

I'm not really a big rock climber so I don't need the massive angles EFI can give. I drive the bronco to get away from people and get to great scenery (much like why I ride a motorcycle). My Quadrajet does a much better job at every angle than my stock 2 barrel holly did. It especially does 300rpm crawling that my holly never would have done.

Cold starts are still a pain but not horrible. A little throttle now and then for the first 30 seconds and then it smooths out.

For me, EFI would probably be a one month project between gathering parts, reading web sites over and over again, putting on a body lift for room under the hood, doing 10 things wrong and having to ask for help correcting them, and just general frustration with my lack of understanding some things.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm on my second carb and hopeful it does the trick. After researching the quadrajet I picked one up for $50 and had it rebuilt by a pro for $125. Then I spent a few hours getting it tuned and jetted right. Seems to run slick now...I put the nose up to what felt like I could stand it up on the back bumper and she kept running smooth. I'm anxious to get some more trail time. If you go with a carb, there are a ton of quadrajet fans in the offroad community...seems to be about the best one. I think it will handle my needs pretty well...maybe I'll go EFI if I fall into a bunch of dough, but for now it was a straight-up break even deal as I sold my Edelbrock to my brother inlaw for a hotrod project and covered my expenses.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Another conversion is propane. It's more simple than EFI, but you have to find tanks as well as places to store them on your bronco. Seems it's hard to find large tanks that can get you the same trip distance as gasoline. However, I understand there is very little wiring and it runs like EFI.

Plus, you could plumb in a BBQ and be ready for lunch in no time!

J.D.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

the efi isn't cheap but the returns are huge , not only off roading but driving off when it's cold . quick starting in cold weather . it's like having a carbed dirt bike at 9k it can be a bear to start and the power that you lose is huge , because of running rich .

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There may be an EFI motor in my future, but certainly not in the near term. IF I go this route, I think I am going to do it big. Maybe a stroked 5.8? I dunno if I'll be getting better mileage but I'll certainly get there fast.

Of course, between now and then I'll change my mind 50 times. Right now I have my heart set on scoring a 65 Galaxie or Fairlane for an EFI powered daily driver.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]