[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Classic Bronco Insurance Discussion
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Classic Bronco Insurance Discussion 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Classic Bronco Insurance Discussion
Cope Customs - very reasonable in price.

I'll check into my insurance company. I've got the least amount of insurance on it as possible since it hasn't been road worthy in 2 years.

My Personal Website -

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Trailer needed
D, I'm sure you are already thinking this, but I wanted to emphasize it for everyone too. Basic liability or minimal coverage is a good cost saving measure during the initial phases of your Bronco ownership. But, as improvements are made and you start putting blood and sweat in to it, you really need to get yourself a good "stated value" insurance policy. Even if it is not yet road worthy. God forbid you put that thing on a trailer to take it to paint and one of those 40mph gusts puts it on its side or in to a guardrail. Val's Bronco is a prime example. The seller of the truck had just completed a frame on resto and wound up rolling the truck on an ice patch before he'd upgraded to full coverage. Zero claim. Zero dollars.

Keep in mind, I did say stated value. Most insurance companies simply deal with actual value policies for full coverage. What this means for you is at the time of your claim, the insurance claims department will adjust your vehicle's value based on original purchase price (a pittance by today's standards) and depreciation since new. Essentially, you could wind up with about 1200.00 for a truck you've put several thou in to.

I'm guilty of not carrying enough coverage, based on my value of my Bronco. I have full coverage, based on a USAA stated original purchase price of 7500.00 (don't ask me where they came up with that number). I do plan to go with a stated value policy soon, I just haven't had the time to find a company and I hate Progressive (USAA's underwriter for stated value policies).

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

x2 on the stated value recommedation

Allstate has my business

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Dsmith, I have a trailer, but don't make it down to your area very much (darn work and north location). My wife and I are still out on next weekends plans, but if I am around, I was going to try and get to Jeff's for install of lift. If that happens and you still don't have it resolved, might be worth a dual purpose trip. As mentioned...could be out of town or at work..... Yup...that makes me a flake but thought I would throw it out there :)!

Not to hijack this too much, but you guys bring up good points.

As for insurance towing coverage, I believe as long as you have full coverage/and/or towing that it applies to anything if you are present. I have used my friends AAA a few times and no hassle. Just a thought...anyone have AAA.

I carry full coverage, but I have heard that you should get it appraised so that you do get what it is worth!

Any thoughts....

Also, we could turn this into another thread as it brings up good points with all the hard work people are doing.

Matt

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I got AAA shortly after I got my truck. It'll cost you less than one tow. My wife has had it for years and has used it enough for it to pay for itself. Mostly she likes having the peace of mind, especially since she spends a lot of time on the road with our kids. We've had reliably good service from them and I'd recommend it. Seems like a great way to get a Bronco back home when things go wrong.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Classic Bronco Insurance Discussion
Yea, I got stated value on mine. When I wasn't driving it, I had liability only and that cost me $38.00 a month. I started checking around and found that stated value was actually a whole lot cheaper. I got $20,000.00 stated value now and pay $8.00 a month! I couldn't believe it. Country Companies is the one for me!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:33 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have full coverage with stated value at 15000 on my bronco. I pay 270 a year. I have confirmed that if something happens I will not have to come up with receipts and proof of the work done in order for them to honor the stated value. This is something everyone should confirm in my opinion. Some insurance companies will allow you to set a stated value but will require proof that it was actually worth that when/if it comes time for them to pay out. This is much harder to prove after something happens!

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

For the guys that have Allstate......my agent is telling me they can do a policy, but it has to be appraised first. I take it you guys didn't need to do that? If so, I'll need to ask them a few more questions.

Thanks.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

But is that a stated value policy? I just did a quote with Hagerty and it came out to $271 for full coverage and $15,000 stated value....sounds like a good deal to me.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is a great thread at a very opportune time for me - I need to get insurance and it is nice to have a few companies that will do a stated value. I have all of my documentation and a value in mind. It would be horrible to have standard coverage, get into an accident/theft, then receive Kelly Blue Book Value for your Bronco. Blue Book value is not representative of current values, mods, adds, etc. so stated value is the only logical solution.

I have been reading very positive things about Hagerty. However, I believe there are restrictions for off-roading, miles, primary vehicle, etc. so may have to ask questions and review the small print. I have 2 tickets that fall off of my record in July so I will be paying the big $ until then. This summer so I will be shopping around for cheaper coverage.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have hagerty on both the Bronco and the Mustang...I pay $40 a year for the Bronco because its stated value is the bare minimum $5500, my Mustang is a different story altogether I pay about $300 a year and Its value is more than eight times the bronco. The limitations are 1200 miles a year and you can't make it into a trail rig and expect them to continue carrying you. If you build it back to original with some mods of course you can still get away with it, I have already checked.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We switched to USAA for our cars and our house a couple years ago. Beat State Farm hands down, whom I had been with since I was 16. But they would only insure a stock early bronco. So after shopping around I settled on Safeco for my stated value policy. Mine is valued around 13k IIRC and I pay $206/yr to insure it that way. Like crawlercreations said, I need to confirm there is no questions ask should my bronco get totaled, but this was the best way I could find at the time to insure it.

EDIT - No appraisal needed. I am pretty sure I told Safeco I use it offroad too.

Edit 2 - Called Safeco and if my bronco was totalled, I would get a check for the amount in which it is insured for. Ironically the value has gone up since I started the policy in '09, but my premiums have not.

J.D.

Last edited by Jesus_man on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fyi....I just applied for coverage with Hagerty. On the app I was truthful and mentioned that I would be driving the Bronco on dirt roads (like the one between my house and Highlands Ranch!). Due to me stating that, they denied coverage. If I hadn't mentioned that dirt road, it would have been approved. I'll be taking my business elseware.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Hagerty is more of a collector type insurance. Their main clientele is the complete resto crowd. For a street/trail rig, I would just shop around with a stated value. I have California Casualties and asked about the stated value and they want pictures & an appraisal before they give theirs out. But the simple thing to remember is #1 is your rig a show & shine, a daily driver, a DD with some off-road or a trail rig with some DD uses. If it's the show then I wouldn't hesitate to go w/Hagerty. For DD with stated value, shop it. For a trail rig with some DD, good luck. I have a friend who is a state insurance auditor and she says that companies hate insuring trail rigs with some DD use because they know that eventually you are gonna wreck the thing.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When I got mine through Country Companies, I didn't need an appraisal. My insurance agent came over, took some pictures and asked for my average miles driven per year. Since it's not my daily driver, it wasn't a problem. I pay 96.00 a year for full coverage (no glass) up to 20,000.00.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm working with a Country Companies agent now. They won't insure a Bronco unless they are also insuring your daily driver. They will do an "antique" policy at a stated value of $15K but the cost is around $450/year (which isn't bad) but there are all the same stipulations as far as how much you can drive it and what it's used for. I'm having the agent quote us for all our insurance policies (auto, home, etc.) to see if it's much better than we currently have with Allstate. He did mention that even if we transferred everything to Country, the Bronco would still be around $450/year at $15K stated value.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Finally got approved through Grundy. $15K stated value for $244 per year. From what I understand from them and from others that have vehicles insured with Grundy, if it's totalled or stolen, they simply pay out, no adjusters etc. Just what I wanted!:)

If you think you have a stated value policy with one of the big insurers, you probably don't. While you can ask for a stated value, and pay more for it, when it comes time to pay out, the adjusters WILL do a comparison with similar vehicles in your area to determine the value....regardless of what your stated value is. Stated value with Allstate, State Farm, Country Companies, Progressive, and Geico means "up to" that value....it does not mean that is what you will get.

Thu May 19, 2011 6:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Good to know. I have 2 speeding tickets falling off my record next week so I am going to get started on moving everything to take advantage of the improved rates. I will definitely add Grundy to the list. Thanks for the great info!

Thu May 19, 2011 8:56 am

Are there any insurance companies that will insure a DD for a decent price? Reading Grundy's qualifications, it can't be used for daily transportation. Mike

Tue May 24, 2011 1:00 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We have ours insured with State Farm right along with the wife's grand cherokee, and the other son's 66 mustang. It is insured as a daily driver as all of them are and honestly - probably the least expensive vehicle we own to insure. We do not cary colision on any vehicle we do not make payments on (that means only the GC) figureing that if it gets wrecked... well we built it once, we can do it again.

State farm also has my business insurance so we get a pretty good rate and service though the two are 100% seperate

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue May 24, 2011 6:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue May 24, 2011 6:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I got a quote from Hagerty for around $350.00 for $20,000.00. I am not planning to go off road nor will it be a DD so Hagerty may be perfect for my situation. I need to add towing insurance and that will take it to around $400.00. I will check Grundy to see if they can beat that price.

Should I get AAA or add towing coverage on the insurance policy?

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Check in to what services your towing insurance under Hagerty will actually provide. In some instances, towing will only get you to the nearest Hagerty approved repair shop. Does the Hagerty policy include things like fuel delivery?

Once you get a good breakdown of what they actually provide, do a comparison against AAA. Or start out by putting the AAA coverage against Hagerty. That will give you a good idea of what to ask for when you are questioning them.

The Terrible One

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Got a Quote from Sentry Insurance who was doing a fair at my Work's Credit Union. I got a quote for my Renters, my car, wife's SUV, and Bronco insurance. I am very impressed - so impressed that I am scepical. The Bronco is written through American Collectors Insurance, not Sentry. I am going to go thru the fine print and see if this is really true. I will do a little research and let ya know if this is too good to be true. If it is true, I will post up the agent's name and contact info.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next