[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Looking to add a puppy to the family.....
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Looking to add a puppy to the family..... 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Looking to add a puppy to the family.....
I thought I'd reach out to the Bronco brotherhood and see if anyone has suggestions and/or general experiences with breeders and buying a dog. We may be in the market for a male Doberman Pinscher puppy (or one a few months old that already has the ears clipped and posted). We are not looking to breed or anything like that...just a good family pet that will be trained for protection.

Any good/bad experiences or just general information about buying any breed would be helpful. Thanks!

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Looking to add a puppy to the family.....
My first dog was a Dobie - awesome dog. One of the smartest and most loyal dogs I have ever been around. One time a bunch of my friends decided they wanted to T.P. my house because I was busy and chose to go out with a GF instead of them. Well the best trees were in the back yard and my best buddy, who watched the dog while we were out of town, and always brought his own dog over to play with mine went to jump the fence and Thor would not let him over. He knew that my buddy, who jumped the fence all the time, was not supposed to be there then. Needless to say - there was no paper in the trees in the back yard that night.

He passed away when I was a senior in HS. Unfortunately I would have no idea about where to purchase one today. If you have not ever owned one, be prepared for all your neighbors to be afraid of your dog, expect mothers to pull their children close when you walk him down the street and people to say no when your kids invite their children over for a sleep over. Just an uneducated prejudice against scary mean looking dogs. But also be prepared for a loving and loyal member of your family.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for the info guys:) My father (passed) was a MP back in the Army in Vietnam and had a Doberman. He only had good things to say about that dog. I would like to honor him by also having a Doberman. Properly trained, they are very reliable and obedient.

Part of the reason I want a puppy is so that our neighbors, friends, and family can "grow up with him", and feel comfortable around him. Another part of the reason is that strangers won't come near my family with this boy by our side.

I am all for adopting and working with the shelters. We have rescued 3 cats from the Buddy Center in Castle Rock over the years. But the chances of finding a baby, male, black/brown Doberman at a shelter is close to zero.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yea...I've found a few breeders and available Dobermans in the area. Will be checking them out soon. Thanks.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll second the vote for a rescue or shelter dog. Both of my dogs came from the Denver Dumb Friends League and they're awesome. One is an Australian Shepherd mix and the other (we think) is a Pit Bull/Australian Cattle Dog mix. Both are really good with my kids but are quite protective of my house, family and property. I'm not sure either would attack someone that came into the house, but they would let me know that something was up and give an intruder a chance to think twice about making a better decision. Most of my pets have been rescued from bad circumstances and I've only had good experiences with that. They seem to know when they've found a good situation.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:17 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would go to maxfund and adopt a dog from there. there are so many starving and neglected mix bred dogs out there and youll find that they become the best pets you can ever adopt. I went the pure bred "puppy farm" route once and learned my lesson. I am a supporter of maxfund animal shelter because it is the only true no kill animal shelter in colorado. The president of the truck club I am in is the volunteer organizer and they have a great program.

I have a mix bred newfoundland mix (about 110 lbs) and he has been great! he is not destructive, not high strung or wound up. he is very calm and happy he has a home. I did not get him from maxfund but that is where I was looking when he came into my life.

http://www.maxfund.org/
Here is the link to maxfund
check them out.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There is a rescue for most (if not all) breeds. You may have to wait for the perfect dog, but it will be worth it. We have our paperwork filled out with the Colorado Italian Greyhound Rescue (IGGY) and waiting for the right dog. It may not happen this month or next month, but it will happen. A rescue is a great way to skip the puppy stage, house training, etc.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OK - Now I have had many different dogs - hunting hounds, rescued mutt's and purebred "puppy mill" dogs. Currently I have 3. A yellow lab from a private breeder I purchased 11 yrs ago when I thought I wanted to get into hunting birds... His pedigree is pretty impressive and he has never hunted a day in his life - but has been one of the best pets ever... I mean that. I have a Beagle that my now 17 yr old saved his own money for when he was 7 - that is the puppy mill dog. He has always been a good dog, somewhat mischievous but that is mostly due to lack of training. We have never had ay health issues with him at all. And we have a "Shitizu Chiwawa mix (the most expensive dog I have ever owned. they used to give these things away as mutts, now they are "designer breeds" - who the hell wants a "shitty-wawa" anyway?" My wife found him at a pet store and paid $600 for him. The little turd grows on you though. And yes, I misspelled the breed on purpose. I have come to actually like the little punt-able pet.

So not all puppy mill dogs are bad, not all pet store dogs are bad. I guess what I am saying is that those dogs deserve loving homes too. And yes, I do rescue dogs whenever possible I have adopted 2 cats and 2 dogs from the pound - though not for a while. The lab is getting pretty old and having trouble with the stairs these days, He may not be with us much longer and I think I am ready to be a 2 dog family again, it will be strange to only have small dogs though.

Now that I have thoroughly hijacked this thread - I will return you to your previously watched topic...

Airbur - when you find your puppy - please let us know, I would love to come up and play with him for a while - I loved my doberman.

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]