[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - front winch bumper build.....done NOW WITH ALL THE PICS
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 front winch bumper build.....done NOW WITH ALL THE PICS 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post front winch bumper build.....done NOW WITH ALL THE PICS
finally broke down and decided to build my front bumper, finalized my rough design last weekend, bought metal on Monday and finished it up yesterday.
A bit of a combo of a plate and tube bumper, winch mount, two shakle mounts and set up for 3 Mall Lights, still need to finish all the wiring for the lights, and wire up the winch but the main construction is complete.
A few small areas of fine detail that I wish were better but I am kinda tough on myself spank , and my ADHD kicked in and I was ready to be done with it so it is what it is.

Here is a pic of the prototype that was sent for approval from my neighbor and wife, it passed so the build began. I will get the rest of the pics up in a day or 2.

bumper%20front.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Brianut on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: front winch bumper build.....done
I look forward to the final picks, but I really like how low the Winch sits. Looks like a great design.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:14 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Can't wait to see it in steel!

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

you are going to need some more duct tape if you want to use it as a winch mount

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

here it is from start to finish

Idea

pile of materials

What a 4 year old sees when looking through the camera

in the paint booth

basically finished just need to add lights and mount winch

and done

Hopefully it meets the approval of the Bronco Gods icon biggin

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm no god, but I like the design. It looks great on a bronco.

However (you knew this was coming right?) the way you have it fastened to the bronco is not strong enough. The first time you put a good pull on that winch, you could pull the bumper right off the bronco. Those frame horns are fairly weak.

Not that this is perfect, but here is how both of mine are attached with a sleeve thru the frame:

The rear:
Notice about 8" sleeves into the frame.

I would just hate for all your hard work to fall off onto the ground.

J.D.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: front winch bumper build.....done NOW WITH ALL THE PIC
Ok, I take back my earlier comment about needing more duct tape. That looks awesome!

Nice work.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Jesus: I am using the stock mounts and I have the bottom plate extended a few inches back on the bottom where I added another 1/2" hole on each side, so total there are 6 1/2" grade 8 bolts holding it on and yes it may not be as strong as it could be, I think for most of the duty this truck sees it will be fine.

I thought about sleeves and i suppose it could come at a later time if I felt the need.
Personally i think it would take a erally hard pull to rip all 6 through the frame??
IDK though I am no structural engineer.

Its not like there are too many trees big enough to hook to in Southlands Mall, Park Meadows may have big enough trees but I try to wheel with a friend anyhow icon biggin

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Brian, I only saw the two per side. 3 is certainly better, but use as large washer as you can to sammich the frame and the bumper together. Having that third mount at the bottom is a good idea as that is where the most force would be from the winch.

You never know, you may have to pull someone's suburban out of the snow bank at the Costco one day...LOL!

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Really turned out nice. Very impressive design and welds. Love the integrated winch fairlead.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That is sweet! Nice work.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Nice job!

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Beautiful job on the bumper! I may have to solicite yer Welding skilz.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Brian, that's a really nice bumper, similar to what I want to do. I think with mine I will use frame sleeves and I want to be a little bit wider to wrap around the fenders just a little bit and a different type of hoop, so I guess I am saying it wont be a copy of yours and that makes then each unique in their own way. I better have another drink becausei m just rambling on...

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Having seen this bumper in person, installed and inspected it up close, I can say that I would be proud to have it on our rig.

Great job Brian.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:50 am

That bumper is SWEET, I'm Not a fan of Bulky off road bumpers, you managed to Keep it Sleek and add the right amount of "girth" VERY NICE WORK AND DESIGN Welding !!!! --------- I totally said girth

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]