[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Emissions????
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Emissions???? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Emissions????
Ya, Another question:)

Lets say you have a 70 body and frame and a 92 mustang motor. Before I call the DMV I thought I'd check here for your thought and real life experiences.

Does the 92 smog equip need to be on the motor and how hard do they test these older vehicles? I live in Boulder county.

Thanks
Brett

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Emissions????
The quick answer is yes. You will be checked for smog, etc. because anything after 75, I believe, has required smog equipment. That being said, have you already titled and licensed the rig? If you have, according to the DMV, it still has a '70 engine and I wouldn't say much because you are grandfathered in by not being required to have that stuff on there. When I did my EFI conversion, they guy asked if I wanted my block or if I wanted the newer block. He said that if I went with the new block then I would be required to have everything on there but if I kept my block I wouldn't need it.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It's currently running an out of state title. Vin shows it to be a 70 Bronco. I'm not sure if the emissions place would even check the engine itself since the 75 and older only get the tail pipe test.

If purchasing something like this, I think I can go the collector plate route as well which does not need emissions.

Brett

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just registered mine in Boulder County. I went the Collector plate route. I needed to bring the title, bill of sale (mine was on the title),
and checkbook (ouch). No emission or someone looking under the hood. However, it was an in state title. give em a call.
Shawn "Gregg"

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Having been through this. Do not call and ask them. Take your car to an emmissions place that does VIN inspections. Get a vin inspection only, do not get an emmissions test. Take the vin inspection and title to motor vehicles and get the collectors plates. You will not need the etest.
If you go the other route with regular tags, you will need an annual e-test and you will face what we did. It is only a tailpipe test, but they do open your hood. As soon as they see the EFI they will give you a visual fail and you will be sent to set an appointment with the tech. He will do a full inspection and determine what year the engine is, if you say it is the original block, they will go off the efi parts. That will then be entered into the state computer and you will need to pass emmissions to the year they determined.
Is this wrong......absolutely but there is nothing you can do about it. Be glad you have a pre-76, we have a 76 and we have no choice. They determined ours to be an 85.
Paying for 5 years at a time (collectors plates) is expensive, but so is adding all the emmisions components.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks for all the replies.. I'm going to do the 5 year plate route. I just bought the 70 with the 92 engine but it is still carburated.

Brett

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, that being said and my very long winded response (I am still bitter from our ordeal).....you should be fine either way. They would not even notice if it has a carb.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm in Weld county, but had no problems titling my '71 without any inspection or smog. Shouldn't be a big deal, just stay mum about the engine.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:29 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

thats interesting on the EFI. I wonder what they would do with an all original Bronco with a Holley or Edelbrock EFI system or similar on it. I bet they would really be scratching their heads on a TBI.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I actually did talk to them about the aftermarket Throttle body type (projection). He said that you need to provide info that the parts are C.A.R.B. certified, then you are tested at the year of the vehicle. If the parts are not C.A.R.B. certified and meant for offroad then its a fail.
I think it comes down to the tech doing the test and the state inspector you get.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

All of my MSD ignition systems come with CARB decals to put in your engine compartment. you are suposed to put them in an area to be seen when you install. Another reason I will still call Colorado, Colofornia.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here is my $0.02.

I just bought a '74 with the stock 302. (stock everything).

I went into the DMV with the title, bill of sale, proof if insurance, and my CO driver's license. I asked for the collector plates and after dropping about $200. I walked out with plates and registration. The title showed up about 3 weeks later.

They didn't even look at it, didn't ask about the motor, or anything. I even joked about how nice it was not to have to smog it.

The tags are good until 2016.

Not sure if my story helped, but that was the easiest vehicle registration in my life.

MW

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

mwlynch3 I am guessing you live outside of the front range area that requires emission test? I dont anymore either. foshizzle

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I live in downtown Denver.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Registering my 69 Mustang with collector plates still requires an Emission test every 5 years. The registration costs the same per year as it does for the 5 years. the advantage is you only need the emissions test every 5 years. Im glad I moved out of the metro area.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wonder why I had to then. I guess it doesnt matter anymore, the car is gone and I no longer need emissions testing.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I did regular plates on mine when I lived in Denver. I must have just slipped thru because the monkey hooking up my emmisions said nothing about the efi stuff on my bronco. The engine is a '94, but I passed the '73 sniffer test and was on my way.

J.D.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

ok rather than start a new thread I will resurrect this one..

As some of you know i just picked up a 76 and need to have it registered. I live in Denver proper so should i just have my paper work ready to go, get my VIN verification and walk into the DMV and get collectors plates (Do i even qualify for them being a 76?)

Or would I be required to hit the emissions place since Iam 76+ to get emissions done.. what about the later model engine.. would they even check?

A few facts about the truck..

My engine was replaced, sometimes in the early 80's from what the owner said.. all original equipement is still on the engine itself. I think its running a bit rich, being carbed i know next to nothing about non-efi engines...

Advice? Thanks!

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:13 am

You kinda shot yourself in the foot with emissions. You can not get collectors tags. Thanks to our wonderful government you have to have a 75 or older. So you will need to get emissions and plates every year. A thing to try is even if its not required put a cat on it. It'll clean up the emissions. And quiet it up a touch too.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:25 am

I would also search to find an old test place and avoid the air care centers. They are Nazi's. If you do an engine swap with efi you may have to meet the emissions standards for that year motor.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Or tell them it's EFI on the original motor... It's certainly a gray area. When I lived in Denver, they popped the hood on mine and never even questioned the EFI stuff. Most of those folks don't know...

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When did the "25 year old vehicle" rule get changed to 1975 or older vehicle for collector tags? Not that I worry about it, but just curious?

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Here's the website:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Re ... 5870965443

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just renewed a couple vehicles and the Douglas County DMV office is no longer staffed with a Ritter Revenue Ranger.

They were so worried about hostile citizens that they hired armed guards (off duty cops) to keep the peace.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:55 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

hmm ok then.. well it is what it is.. the stock stuff is still on there.. might have to clean it up a bit for now.. and getting a cat on it might not be a bad idea although its not loud..

Guess i will have to get the carb tuned as Its running a bit rich after my drive - at least i think it is, any recommendations for someone to look at that bit - i know nothing of carbs and right now i dont' have time to muck about with it as I leave for hunting at the end of the week...

Also as an alternative - could I use a Steamboat springs address and drive the truck there to get it registered? sorry for all the questions right off the bat but need to just get it registered so i can park it and start working on it ;)

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ya your probably right.. and yes I do have the temp tag on there, forgot about that looking i have until almost the end of Nov to take care of it so no sweat...

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next