[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Bowhunters......hypothetically speaking.....
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Bowhunters......hypothetically speaking..... 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Bowhunters......hypothetically speaking.....
Say you had $3-400 to spend on a new bow, and you wanted to get started in the bow scene. What would the first few bows you would look at, and what accessories would you look to get?

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Bowhunters......hypothetically speaking.....
Start with your local archery shop and don't even consider brands. Try and find a shop if shooting lanes so you can test a few bows. If your shop owner is worth his weight in salt, he or she will tell you don't look at price or brand name when being fitted just feel and comfort. Make sure your discuss draw length and draw weight as well as if are you going to shoot with a mechanical release or "fingers", which peep sight to use, carbon fiber or aluminum arrows. In this case, cheaper or more expensive is not always better.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:29 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I can't add anything other than, sounds like fun! I hunted Archery when I was younger (16). Used my dad's old Browning (or was it Jennings ?) compound bow. Anyway it's lots of fun, you won't be hunting next to 100 other out of state hunters (RE: rifle season) and it takes a fair bit more skill than rifle. I'd like to get back into it, but just don't have the time or $$ to spend on a new bow. Sights were a new thing when I was hunting, but I was doing pretty darn good pulling with my fingers and instinct shooting (no sights). I shot my FIL's PSE and I couldn't hit nothing using his sights, but we're different people. My draw length is much longer among many other things. But I could still do better instinct shooting his bow. I still think I'd prefer to use a release tho as you get a more consistent..well release. It won't twist the string like your fingers can.

I was talking to someone recently about a good bow shop here in town. Let me see if I can track it down. I want to say it was just north of 24 on powers... The only one in that area is www.thearcheryhut.com, but it is not North. That could be my mistake on the directions as that is darn close to that intersection.

Let me know when you go and I may tag along if that's cool. Would love to see the new technology.

Oh and ELBOW STRAIGHT. If you can bend your elbow backwards, you're going to get string burn on your forearm!

Get a cheap stretch band and start working those muscles!

J.D.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, here is my deal on this. I have quite a few Cabela's bucks to use, more than the 3-400, but I figured that could at least get me into a decent starter's bow. Use some of the extra points to get the do-dads and add ons. Good idea?

I was thinking that I'd go with the quick release for the things you pointed out Dan, but as far as what items to look at....I'm a newbie. When I was typing this out last night, I thought of that picture you put up too Dan.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If I go out looking JD, I'll give ya a buzz and I'd be more than happy to have you tag along.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I work at Bass Pro and they have quite a selection of bows also. If you ever want to go look around down there let me know I will go with you. I have been interested in Bow hunting since I was a kid when I saw a neighbor bring home a huge bear from Canada.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

#1, no I haven't got one yet & #2, Damn, that is pretty quick. But my first thought was how far was the target, and how accurate was she. At this point, I'd like to be half as fast and just as accurate at 15 yards. But I think I'd go with 100% accurate at 30 yards as opposed to 15 yards. But that is pretty damn impressive.

I was talking to my dad the other night, and we were talking about bow hunting and stuff and he was telling me a story about when he was in his Eagle Scout training. Said there was a kid that was getting his Eagle at the same time and said that the kid was so accurate with a long bow that he could put 10 arrows side by side within the space of a dollar bill. I asked the old man if he was that good and he said of course he could, as long as he could hand poke the arrows through.... lol

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]