[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Need help picking out some tools
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Need help picking out some tools 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Need help picking out some tools
As you guys know, my dad got broken into back in January and they got off with all of our welding/cutting stuff. Because my dad constantly travels with work, I'm doing the leg work on his insurance claim. Here is what I need some advice on. What plasma cutter should I get? I'd like some opinions as to which way to turn on this one because the insurance company gave him enough of a credit to get a higher grade cutter than what we had. The two that I am looking at are the & the . Both are in the $1500 range (which is about what the insurance company has given us for replacement value), but I don't know much about the Hobarts. The one we had stolen was an ESAB & I really liked it because it was so easy to use.

The welder they took was an older Lincoln 125 w/gas, but I've talked to them and they have agreed to go up to the 140, a little better, but it isn't that much better than what we had. This has also got me thinking and the mouse wheel spinning in the ole coconut, what if I downgrade on the plasma cutter to say an ESAB 380 (Hobart doesn't have a comparable product) and upgrade the welder. The 380 is about $1200, so I could put another $300 into a welder, it would get me up to a 180 welder. What do you guys think?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Need help picking out some tools
Ive got a Miller 210, it will run on 120v or 240v its a great little welder, I got it on sale about a year ago for just less than $1000, Ive also got a miller plasma cutter that works great , It will cut 5/8'' material Ive had it a long time and don't remember what I paid for it.
I realize that Miller makes Hobart, but if you compare the drive mechanisim the Hobarts have plastic parts the Millers have metal. Also duty cycle times are better on the Millers.
My opinion (for what its worth), Stick with Miller if you can the prices are not that much different.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have a Hobart airforce 400 cutter and a Hobart Ironman 250 welder and both work great.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Are they giving you the cash? Reason I ask is that you might be able to go used and get better equipment.

call some local welding supply shops and see what they have for used.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I cant give you and experience on the products, but I believe Tool King on 6th Avenue sells both of those or similar. I have heard good things about Hobart through some friends that weld for a living.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]